Epic finally speaks out about the future of the ut franchise...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Dark

Banned
Mar 17, 2004
England
BeyondUnreal said:
The May 2005 issue of Computer Gaming World magazine contains the first screenshots and information on the next, Unreal Engine 3 powered Unreal Tournament game, including incredible revelations about the massive new Conquest gametype. The article refers to the game as "the next Unreal Tournament", suggesting that the game's full title is as yet undecided. Midway have previously confirmed that no new UT titles will be shipping in 2005, so it's likely that this game will bear the name "Unreal Tournament 2006" or "Unreal Tournament 2007". It's also possible that Epic have ditched the yearly naming convention altogether... only time will tell. Scans from the article currently doing the rounds on IRC show a silver and black Unreal 'U' logo on the magazine's cover, and a rather detailed Necris character standing outside next to some sort of vehicle on the first page of the article itself. Other screenshots reportedly include UE3-powered Malcolm, as well as next-gen versions of the Goliath tank, Scorpion buggy and armor concept art. Details of the game are sketchy at the moment, however we can report that Epic programmer Steve Polge is the game's Lead Designer, with Jim Brown filling the role of Lead Level Designer. The article also tells of Epic's desire to put gameplay above graphics with the next UT, as demonstrated by the fact that the title's programming is currently "ahead" of its art. Unfortunately we cannot post scans of the article here on BU (for fear of provoking the wrath of the killer zombie lawyer army of doom), so don't ask, however we will update this story with more information as it becomes available. Update - 27 Mar 05 9:45PM EST by RaptoR: As promised, here are some more details from the article, courtesy of BU forumer placebo and drboom...

• The next UT will feature 11 weapons. No specific details on these yet.
  • The game will focus on AI, specifically voice-controlled AI.
  • As with many UT2004 levels, the layout of maps in the next UT is being finalized before artwork is incorporated.
  • The game will feature a global ratings system that will allow clans to compare scores.
  • Gametypes include Onslaught, DM, TDM, CTF, and the all-new Conquest mode. No mention of Assault or Domination.
  • Further info on the Conquest gametype:
    • Features eight teams, each with unique armor.
    • Conquest maps are "potentially as large as three onslaught maps with assault-like objectives and even a form of limited resource management planned"
    • "there may be the option to treat a conquest match like a long term war, so you can play, take a break, and then go back and play more later"
    • "you can use your stats to find similarly abled opponents"
    • "pre-game lobbies" will be present in some form
    • "clan pages and other sites will be able to be viewed from within the game"
    • "conquest will take advantage of the Unreal Engine 3's ability to seamlessly stream maps by putting you in a battlefield the size of several maps stitched together"
    • "players will battle on one of two teams, each sides terriroty will look physically different, as you take a territory it will convert to the otherteams structures and physical surroundings"
    • "conquest should appeal to a wider gaming audience and provide a place where longer-term strategy, teamwork, and face-to-face fragging all meet"
Complete article scans (56k warning)

cgwfront6ds.jpg

ut27fi.jpg

ut36eg.jpg

ut46jy.jpg

ut58zw.jpg

ut62my.jpg

ut76wp.jpg

utstats2zf.jpg

ut11qd.jpg

Irc quote from someone who has the article:
[2:33pm]<dr_boom> Nice exclusive on the next UT in Computer Gaming World
[2:36pm]<dr_boom> big focus on AI it seems, "voice controlled AI"
[2:39pm]<dr_boom> they're designing all the levels before the artwork is incorporated
[2:39pm]<dr_boom> kinda ties in with what tse was saying yesterday about the cost of art
[2:46pm]<dr_boom> new mode called "conquest": "potentially as large as three onslaught maps with assaultlike objectives and even a form of limited resource management planned"
[2:52pm]<dr_boom> "you can use your stats to find similarly abled opponents" and "pregame lobbies"
[2:53pm]<dr_boom> clan pages and other sites will be able to be viewed from within the game
[2:55pm]<dr_boom> "automatic downloading of mod content that you choose, perhaps in the form of a daily download..."
[2:57pm]<dr_boom> ability to enter your clan id in a stat server to view the status of clan matches in a "global rating system of how clans have done against each other"
[3:00pm]<dr_boom> "conquest will take advantage of the UE3 engines ability to seamlessly stream maps by putting you in a battlefield the size of several maps stitched together"
[3:03pm]<dr_boom> players will battle on one of two teams, each sides terriroty will look physically different, as you take a territory it will convert to the otherteams structures and physical surroundings
[3:09pm]<dr_boom> "conquest should appeal to a wider gaming audience and provide a place where longer-term strategy, teamwork, and face-to-face fragging all meet"
[3:25pm]<dr_boom> 8 teams, each with unique armor
[3:27pm]<dr_boom> some tse, the Scorpion, Goliath, Malcom, and some armor concept art
[3:28pm]<dr_boom> heh, the armor art shows what is basically heavy, medium, and light
[3:28pm]<dr_boom> 11 weapons
[3:29pm]<dr_boom> Game Modes: Onslaught, DM, TeamDM, CTF, and Conquest
[3:31pm]<dr_boom> level editing will include the Kismet script sequencing tool
[3:33pm]<dr_boom> they do have an outdoor shot that looks incredible, this is going to be sweet
And finally, Malcom who imo looks to be made out of plastecine:

http://www.beyondunreal.com/image.php?src=staff/raptor/ut3_malcolm.jpg

No word on naming of game (I hope the year thing gets dropped) or release dates so don't ask. And yes, this is all official, will update you when full scans or anything else of interest leaks...

EDIT: Some info from the atari community forums:

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Game Facts:
- The new publisher will be Midway instead of Atari.
- The game will run on the new Unreal Engine 3.
- Goliath Tank may have destroyable tracks this time around.
- Scorpion will have an enclosed cabin this time around. Now it has Rocket Boosters.
- Code name for this new game is "ENVY"
- 18 Vehicles. 9 Vehicles from UT2K4+ECE and 9 new necris vehicles.
- The Skaarj team won't be in this game.

- Further info on the Conquest gametype:
* Features eight teams, each with unique armor.
* Conquest maps are "potentially as large as three onslaught maps with assault-like objectives and even a form of limited resource management planned"
* "there may be the option to treat a conquest match like a long term war, so you can play, take a break, and then go back and play more later"
* "you can use your stats to find similarly abled opponents"
* "pre-game lobbies" will be present in some form
* "clan pages and other sites will be able to be viewed from within the game"
* "conquest will take advantage of the Unreal Engine 3's ability to seamlessly stream maps by putting you in a battlefield the size of several maps stitched together"
* "players will battle on one of two teams, each sides terriroty will look physically different, as you take a territory it will convert to the otherteams structures and physical surroundings"
* "conquest should appeal to a wider gaming audience and provide a place where longer-term strategy, teamwork, and face-to-face fragging all meet"

- The following Game Modes will be in this game:
* Onslaught (ONS)
* DeathMatch (DM)
* Team Deathmatch (TDM)
* Capture The Flag (CTF)
* Conquest (???) - The new game mode.
Game Modes that will be left out:
* Bombing Run (BR)
* Domination (DOM)
* Assault (AS)

- 11 Weapons:
* Rocket Launcher
* Redeemer
* Link Gun
* Shock Rifle
* AVRiL
* Translocator
* Sniper Rifle
* Dual Enforcers (Returns from the original Unreal Tournament)
* Tridium Stinger (Returns from the original Unreal)
* Canister (New, houses a Grenade Launcher, Mine Layer and a Bio Rifle)

- 8 Teams with unique Armor:
* Nakhti
* Necris
* Juggernauts
* The Corrupt
* Iron Gaurd
* Krall
* Jacob's Team (Actually the UT2K4 team, unnamed)
* Player's Team (Whom you play as in the Single Player Campaign, also unnamed)
[/font]

Last edited:
Reactions: Felerian
could you find the other pages?
apparently there are pictures of new versions of the raptor and the goliat in the mag aswell.

Scans of all pages located, updating first post as we speak... Also added some extra info as well.

Last edited:
well i basically agree with everything in it, ut feels more personal than ut2k4, although i enjoy ut2k4 i only enjoy from time to time, while ut is a steadfast classic imo. Personally i can say a 100% sure that i will not be buying the next ut before i give it a spin at a friends place. They lost some credit with ut2k3 and ut2k4 in my book, sure they are awesome but totally different from ut and from what i look for in a game /rant

I do find the attitude gameplay before art refreshingly different, a lot has been made of eye candy games such as doom 3 recently so maybe just maybe this time Epic might get things right. I do hope that Conquest doesn't turn out to be as crap as Onslaught was in ut2k4, I have a feeling that regardless of Conquest, the assault community will once again show Epic that Assault is a key gametype by modding it back into the game. I also thought it was nice to see the developers admitting that ut2k4 wasn't as good as it should have been, I attribute this to the fact that they went all crazy about Ons and vehicles when there were somewhat more fundamental things for them to think about.

have to disagree, i thought ONS was an amazingly successful gametype, totally original, different, requires teamwork and is fun to play. i would be more worried about it goin the way of DDOM.

My problem with ons is it's all much the same and there is little real skill in playing it on public servers, most of it is a battle for who can get the best vehicle. However, I admit at a league level it's a very difficult game but this gulf is what puts me off, playing it on public servers just bores me stiff after half an hour.

Dark said:
I have a feeling that regardless of Conquest, the assault community will once again show Epic that Assault is a key gametype by modding it back into the game. I also thought it was nice to see the developers admitting that ut2k4 wasn't as good as it should have been, I attribute this to the fact that they went all crazy about Ons and vehicles when there were somewhat more fundamental things for them to think about.
tbh i dont think this will happen because of 2 reasons:
1) the new engine is so powerfull that you will need a tremendous amount of time to create something original which isnt totally abysmal.
2) for a comeback of AS like it is in UT99 the mod team would have to be from within this community, people who understand what our way of AS is about and who dont thin kof launching and unlinear gameplay as exploits. and i do not have the impression that we have a lot of people with enough talent but most of all enough will to take on such a task. mind that soem brilliant heads arent enough, you need a full team with coders, mappers art designers etc.

I think it will never have the impact ut'99 had, or it has to be REALLY good.

Sauron said:
tbh i dont think this will happen because of 2 reasons:
1) the new engine is so powerfull that you will need a tremendous amount of time to create something original which isnt totally abysmal.
2) for a comeback of AS like it is in UT99 the mod team would have to be from within this community, people who understand what our way of AS is about and who dont thin kof launching and unlinear gameplay as exploits. and i do not have the impression that we have a lot of people with enough talent but most of all enough will to take on such a task. mind that soem brilliant heads arent enough, you need a full team with coders, mappers art designers etc.
The RoAR team managed to do this for ut2k3, their downfall was that ut2k3 sucked so bad that no real assaulters wanted to play it anyway. On a serious note, I'm sure it would be possible with enough of a team behind it.

Dark said:
The RoAR team managed to do this for ut2k3, their downfall was that ut2k3 sucked so bad that no real assaulters wanted to play it anyway.
thats not true, the roar teams project failed because their work sucked major ass, not because the game was a failure.
for all i know the posibilities for modders werent any different in 2k3 than in 2k4, think of fragops or red orchestra which have basicly been ported from 2k3 to 2k4 without any big changes. roars downfall was that they just werent able to make any good maps, just think of their abysmal mazon port which even had a redeemer.

Dark said:
On a serious note, I'm sure it would be possible with enough of a team behind it.
i never said anything else, i just doubt that you'll find a good team which is interested in assault.

Last edited:
Imo RoAR didn't suck ass, the problem was as with ut2k4, there are few people who support decent mods. I play unwheel, jailbreak and clonebandits and rarely find anyone to play any of them with. Fortunatley the ultimate assault server which we frequent can have all of them voted as gametypes. I really hope with the next version epic makes more effort to support mods, teams of people devote huge effort into creating these mods only to find that nobody plays them. It's depressing. The only way I get to play most of those mods is that I have harassed most of my clan into installing them so then we can use our numbers to get them voted on.

sneez said:
I think it will never have the impact ut'99 had, or it has to be REALLY good.
idd

UT99 was one of the first (maybe the first, guess Q3A was published abit later) multiplayer-only game, so it was something new. It is pretty hard for Epic to repeat this huge UT99 succuss with further UT parts.
The game and gamestyle is well known and Epic wasn't able to show something really new (except better graphics and some weapons of course).
UT99 will be the best UT forever. And all other parts are just newer clones from the good old first UT game imo.

I still think the biggest part of UT99 being such a big hit was the fact that people could download it for free, it made it possible to always find a decent server with decent people on it, in fact, you could pick one out of a list of many. Now that they (hey, i'll admit rightfully and understand it fully) squeeze every penny out of a game there's no way a game will ever be as big as a free game.

Guess why Enemey Territory is so popular, you don't need a massive machine, it's free and it's made by gamers...

Bart said:
idd

UT99 was one of the first (maybe the first, guess Q3A was published abit later) multiplayer-only game, so it was something new. It is pretty hard for Epic to repeat this huge UT99 succuss with further UT parts.
The game and gamestyle is well known and Epic wasn't able to show something really new (except better graphics and some weapons of course).
UT99 will be the best UT forever. And all other parts are just newer clones from the good old first UT game imo.
Very true, no next gen ut will ever have the impact the origional did, it was the first game to show us that multiplayer could be a larger part of the game than offline play not an addon to an otherwise single player game.