Educational Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Q. What is the origin of the word fuck?

A. It is remotely derived from the Latin futuere and Old German ficken/fucken.
Originally, this was a quite acceptable word! It was recorded in a dictionary in 1598 (John Florio's A World of Words). It is remotely derived from the Latin futuere and Old German ficken/fucken meaning 'to strike or penetrate', which had the slang meaning 'to copulate'. Eric Partridge, a famous etymologist, said that the German word was related to the Latin words for pugilist, puncture, and prick. The word, which entered English in the late 15th century, became more rare in print in the 18th century when it became a vulgar term. It was even banned from the Oxford English Dictionary. In 1960, Grove Press (in the US) won a court case permitting it to print the word legally for the first time in centuries -- in D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover (written in 1928). One folk etymology, which is incorrect, is that it derives from "[booked] for unlawful carnal knowledge."

'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'

unless you want to count names of

diseases

'pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis'
-lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust

places

'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch'
- a village in Wales

chemical compounds

- there is one that is 1,913 letters long

Q. What do you call a word or phrase that reads the same backward and forward?

A. A palindrome.

Examples of palindromes:

madam
Hannah
radar
Was it a rat I saw?
Able was I ere I saw Elba.
A man, a plan, a canal: Panama.
Draw, O Caesar. Erase a coward.
Lewd did I live, & evil I did dwel.
So many dynamos! (Buy the book!)
Sit on a potato pan, Otis! (Buy the book!)
Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog! (Buy the book!)

The word palindrome comes from Greek palindromos, "running back again, recurring," from palin-, "again" + dromos, "a running".