custom messages: a guide

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Im SURE some anit-cheat type thingy checked the sizes of some files to make sure they hadnt been hacked or something. Bah cant remember now .. oh well :)

DaTeL said:
FFS that's cool stuff! :cool:
great work HeadCase!

You might want to (get help and) make a small proggie/mod with catagoried (how u spell this ffs) messages.....and the std/custom swapping of course

also.....an option for every message alone to 'set default'

just to make it easy for lazy people!
if you want I'll even help you with it (icq 122696737)
now that would be Ace !

Sorry didnt see this till now.

I can sorta see a way to change between msgs by having several ints for each map with eg extensions .001 .002 or something. Then maybe having a mod (key bind alone might work?) to change the language settings in the [Engine.Engine] section in ut.ini to 001, 002 etc. I'll check this out soon.

It would be possible to make a mod that uses the ngstats code to write settings to .ints (not possible with normal UScript - need that external dll I think), but Im sort of wondering if its necesary and if it wouldnt be just as easy to use UEd and notepad?

Another idea - might also be useful for map makers if they to make a sort of hints int to teach ppl their new maps?

Joko said:
Im SURE some anit-cheat type thingy checked the sizes of some files to make sure they hadnt been hacked or something. Bah cant remember now .. oh well :)

Hopefully they dont check ints (and wont in the future) afaik theres no way it could help anyone cheat

What I've found is that by having a separate Core.int type file for each message type (eg I have Core.int for english, Core.cst for custom) then UT will read the language description from each and allow changing via advanced options - drivers - language

Easiest way is to open in notepad, change language description, save as Core.xxx (or what extension you want for new msgs)

The bit you need to change for the description in your custom msgs bit is this (at the top of your new core.xxx file):

[Language]
Language=English (International)

eg

[Language]
Language=Training Messages

Only problem seems to be the need to restart UT to see any effect. Havent found a way around this yet and Im guessing that any changes in the Drivers section will need a reboot.

Anyone using my console mod can now do the same with this slight update:

http://forums.utassault.net/showthread.php?t=35256&pagenumber=2

completely separate ...

How can i change the colour of the death messages from that red colour, cos i can hardly see it

Joko said:
completely separate ...

How can i change the colour of the death messages from that red colour, cos i can hardly see it

for the chat area message:

set DeathMessagePlus DrawColor (R=xxx,G=xxx,B=xxx)

for the middle screen messages:

set KillerMessagePlus DrawColor (R=xxx,G=xxx,B=xxx)

ones you can try out:

PickupMessagePlus
DeathMessagePlus
FirstBloodMessage
KillingSpreeMessage
MultiKillMessage
VictimMessage
DeathMatchMessage
CTFMessage
LMSOutMessage
ControlPointMessage
ItemMessagePlus