custom messages: a guide

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Quasi^

Me.
Oct 26, 2002
Behind a crate
I found a way to change loads of messages while learning about localization (language settings for your mods etc) This method will autoload all msgs at startup. For example there are loads of messages in the Botpack package file (ie all the useful stuff like kills, weapon/ammo pickups etc), so I'll use it for an example, but I think you can use this method on *any* package file ie .u .unr etc that can be localized (yep even maps apparently but i havent tested this yet)

1 First and most important BACKUP your botpack.int file just in case you have problems, UT no longer boots up etc and you need to replace the original

2 Boot up your trusty UnrealEd

3 type in the console (where it says 'command' at bottom of screen) 'DUMPINT BOTPACK' (no quotes)

4 now in your system folder a new Botpack.int is made with 100s of customizable messages

5 Open your OLD botpack.int in notepad and check that the stuff in the old one is also in the new one (at top usually in the [public] section). If isnt, copy and paste whatevers missing at the top of the new one

6 Edit whatever msgs you want in your new .int

Now these will be in effect whenever u boot up UT. The clever bit: suppose you want to swap between your custom msgs and the default ones, or maybe have several sets...

1 Make a copy of your new Botpack.int with another extension eg .cst (for custom?) so you have a Botpack.int and a Botpack.cst. (I read that the extension should always end with a 't' but seems to work whatever)

2 Edit the 'Language=int' in ut.ini to 'Language=cst' to use your custom msgs

3 Change it back to 'Language=int' to use the default again

be aware though that some msgs resort back to standard online - like the attack/defend msgs at start of round for some reason. Also you will see stuff like:
TauntString[0]=Eat that!
This is only what you see, other players see the normal version (before u change it to say eat sh*t and die or something hrhr ;) ) There also loads of other stuff in here that I havent had time to look at yet (like NameTime[0]=0.890000??) so feel free to add to this.

One other thing: because UT contains all the Unreal 1 bits too, you may see different versions of the some messages. So if something isnt working try searching for another version.

Last edited:
yw i do my best :D

btw just tried this with guardia and managed to change the obj/completed msgs. This is what the as-guardia.int looks like:

[LevelInfo0]
Title=Guardia Fortress
IdealPlayerCount=6-12

[AssaultInfo2]
ObjDesc[0]=Shoot at the fuse to ignite it and blow up the TNT, which will permit access to the underground base.
ObjDesc[1]="Make your way through the base, dealing with all gun turrets and enemies you find along the way, until you ride a lift up to a platform that has the garage activation switch."
ObjDesc[2]=Once the door is opened, destroy the prototype tank by shooting at the turret.

[FortStandard0]
FortName=Bridge
DestroyedMessage=crossed

[FortStandard4]
FortName=Cavern
DestroyedMessage=breached

[LevelSummary]
Title=Guardia Fortress
IdealPlayerCount=6-12

[FortStandard1]
FortName=Fuse
DestroyedMessage=ignited

[FortStandard2]
FortName=Garage Door
DestroyedMessage=breached

[FortStandard3]
FortName=Turret

just shortened them a bit to test. dunno if this really useful tho apart from using less screen space

Could be worth making them larger for objectives you sometimes miss, say like when u get a killing spree just as the objective is done.

good idea
so for the bridge crossed bit, possibly somthing like

[FortStandard0]
FortName="[ BRIDGE ]"
DestroyedMessage=" -=[ INCOMING! ]=-"

maybe?

and maybe those NameTime[0]=?? bits in botpack are something to do with how long msgs remain onscreen. could be handy for teamsay which also gets lost through ppl spamming the chat

Just did a quick test online and map msgs arent changable - seems the server sends this info to the players

Looks like its limited to things like pickups/weapons/speech etc for now

Thx for this stuff m8 but where are the .int map files? I can only find botpack.int Or do you dump the int file after opening guardia in unrealed?

{24}Useless said:
Thx for this stuff m8 but where are the .int map files? I can only find botpack.int Or do you dump the int file after opening guardia in unrealed?

No you dont need to actualy open any packages/maps - just use the dumpint command in unrealeds console

BTW for some reason better know to epic and co, assault map info, game starting msgs and some others are sent by the server so making a map int wont work im afraid as it toatally ignores local settings, unless you are running a server.

but anyways the command for a map would be eg

dumpint as-guardia

then the int should be made in the system folder

wont u get booted from servers if ur using a botpack.int that a different size?

Joko said:
wont u get booted from servers if ur using a botpack.int that a different size?

Nope the ints are for language settings (what i was originally learning about them for) so if you install say UT in French it would contain French messages

lol Useless :D

{24}Useless said:
Nah I was just in Orange and some of the stuff works fine, like the 'You twatted Joko to death' messages :P
Server doesn't even read int files...
Int is for language settings, and ut settings, so with int files menus etc get loaded..

So couldn't this be tweaked so that clans could use it for tactics? Like in map objectives instead of eg. The Boiler Room Has Been Breached, each person in the clan could change it according to what their tacs are for that specific thing. So sniper would be 'The Boiler Room Has Been Breached - snipe from left tower'. This would be enormously helpful imo cos I have thought for ages about a program that could tell each person where to be (we always have probs remembering tacs) but we wouldn't need one if this .int thing worked. Although some git would probably make it illegal on league servers blah blah.

yep I think theres many possibilities here but I think those particular messages (map objs) dont work online as the server sends out its own localized language version to each client. So when youre playing on say a server with the installed language as French, Italian etc you see the msgs in that language.

Dont know why Epic chose to do it like this when youd think it would be better for the players own language settings to overrule the servers...

BTW I still havent had time to try out much of these settings so maybe theres a way yet

a hope so, that sounds incredibly useful, to have the tacs string when an objective has been taken. i know wot u mean, remember tacs for every map and every objective is damn hard :p so this wud be VERY useful

final assault entrance is gone and second assault entrance after it, your pc will say "defend door compressor" :D

dont do it! :D

FFS that's cool stuff! :cool:
great work HeadCase!

You might want to (get help and) make a small proggie/mod with catagoried (how u spell this ffs) messages.....and the std/custom swapping of course

also.....an option for every message alone to 'set default'

just to make it easy for lazy people!
if you want I'll even help you with it (icq 122696737)
now that would be Ace !

Last edited:
I went into Golgotha for an example and changed the .int to include def tacs for each objective. Although this doesn't work online it does still work offline, so to learn tactics for a certain position you just fill in your own messages in each .int file then practice them a few times with bots offline. It's not perfect but it will help :) If you can be arsed that is...