Battlefield 3

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Argh! Picking up my new GFX card and memory tomorrow. Now I received BF3 today and it can't read the disc! Can't read DVD2 either! Only found 1 person by googling who has the same issue. Other CD's/DVD's etc read fine.

I wonder if installing through a torrent (Battlefield.3.2011.CLONEDVD-P2P) would give any problems (it's also only 9.95GB). This release apparantly does ask for a serial but I wonder if I don't get flagged as a pirated copy :o

Or maybe install through my laptop's DVD drive over the network if that's possible ;(

[edit] k I spoke too soon, this is weird lol, the drive reads DVD-RW / DVD+R DL / CD-R but no DVD-R / DVD+R ....Better get a new drive aswell then tomorrow!

[edit 2] Ok, installing over the network. Weird that Origin makes it seem that I am downloading the game even though it's installing from disc.

Last edited:
Soooo, anyone been playing yet?

I just captured some stats on how my old gfx card runs it. Going to install the new one tonight and enjoy the difference :D

What are your Origin ID's? Mine is BlackNinjaKapow

Well place I had pre-ordered it from cancelled my order at 18GMT last night due to "an issue with their supplier". Meaning I would have no BF3 waiting for me in the post this morning. Have ordered it elsewhere and it should arrive tomorrow.

Game should run very well on my computer when I get to play it.

Neversniper is my nick and the single player cmapaign is horribly quicktime-evented. Fucking useless crap.

Cool, sent you a request Foo. Add me when you receive it Dave!

Yeah, I read it is riddled with quicktime-events, but I'm sure there's a lot of eye candy! And who cares about SP anyway, it's Battlefield! :D

Congratz guys, you installed crappy spyware with BF3.
be sure that you've enough secret data on your computer so EA gets some interesting stuff :)

the first video shows how origin scanned the tax folder. There are also some screencaptures where you could see how this shitty program scanned the mobile phone data. Also the support-livechat admitted that EA selects meta-data of files (like mp3s).
Some other user noticed that those data were sent (not even crypted!!!!) to amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TAZ-HN9cOk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wasUKlYIf8A

If you're such a consume ape, atleast use the program sandboxie, to prevent Origin to takeover your whole PC.

Last edited:
:lol: and how is steam any different? Although admittedly EA have changed theirs recently as the previous one was unacceptable.
as far as I can see their EULA also has provisions that they can monitor hardware and software usage within your system.

:lol: and how is steam any different? Although admittedly EA have changed theirs recently as the previous one was unacceptable.
as far as I can see their EULA also has provisions that they can monitor hardware and software usage within your system.

STEAM:

"Steam conducts a monthly survey to collect data about what kinds of computer hardware and software our customers are using. Participation in the survey is optional, and anonymous. The information gathered is incredibly helpful to us as we make decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make and products to offer."

"User Generated Information" means any information made available to other users through your use of multi-user features of Steam or to Valve through your use of the Software. User Generated Information may include, but is not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, game selections, player performances, usage data, suggestions about Valve products or services, and error notifications. Subject to the Valve privacy policy referenced in Section 1 above, as applicable, you expressly grant Valve the complete and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind.

ORIGIN:

"You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA’s Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA’s Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control."

also:

"Spiegel Online is reporting that EA's Origin service, a digital storefront and DRM platform that's required to run popular titles like Battlefield 3 and FIFA 12, is facing staunch opposition from privacy advocates in Germany, who claim that the service's end-user license agreement is in violation of German law.

The EULA in question includes provisions that allow EA to automatically check licensing rights without notifiying users, gather information about the hardware and software its customers are running, and even share this data with its partners.

In response to consumer outrage in the US, the company updated the agreement last month to remove language explicitly allowing collected data to be used for marketing purposes, though many of the more contentious aspects, including the ability to monitor software unaffiliated with EA's products, remained intact. That very long leash has led some to peg the service as glorified spyware.

The strict terms also might put EA in violation of German law, which includes a provision that states no contract shall override the laws of the state in which a customer resides. If the data the company is collecting conflicts with federal privacy laws, the EULA would be rendered null and void until it had been revised to meet the proper legal standards.

While EA has refused to comment publicly on the matter, they might not have a choice for much longer. The State Commissioner for Data Protection of North Rhine-Westphalia has reportedly taken an interest in the case, as EA Germany's Cologne heaquartes are located within his jurisdiction. The Comissioner is expected to conduct a full inquiry on the matter, beginning with a subpoena for the information being collected about consumers, the purpose it serves, and who it is being distributed to. If EA's answers aren't satisfactory, they may be forced to change their practices, update the EULA, or potentially even face legal action from the state."

Last edited:
Well, laughing about this matter is pretty dumb.

Process explorer showed that origin searching in every folder on the harddisk and collects meta data, while Steam only seeks in it's own folder.
Sure, steam also detects your hardware and installed software, BUT it asks you if you wanna participate.

So saying "steam = origin" is pretty naiv.

Man I am so pissed off!

I picked up my EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570 yesterday. I installed it, and straight away I had artifacts on POST already. Followed by even more in Windows...

img20111029181400.jpg

img20111028231000.jpg

I was so sure it was a faulty card, never seen this before. I brought it back today and got my money back. Luckily I had ordered the same card at a different store as well, so I've just picked that up.

Hooked it up and, again, instantly artifacts, or whatever you want to call it..

img20111029172756.jpg

Really driving me crazy. Could it really be that I received ANOTHER faulty card, straight after the other? Only reason I can think of is that both stores received the cards from the same faulty stock at some distributor :o

I tried a different PCI-E slot, same thing. Also tried disconnecting some power molex', no help either. I tried the 2nd DVI port, same problem.

The GTX 570 requires 2 x 6pin power connectors. I have just one coming from my PSU. To add power for the second 6pin connector the card also got supplied with a power adapter with a 6pin>double molex connector cable. I've tried switching those molex connectors aswell, no use either.

I still could try to maybe flash the BIOS and the GFX card itself, but it just doesn't seem logical at all.

Either these are some incredible odds or I've got a really weird problem in my system :nono:

Last edited:
I think there is another problem, would be really weird if you got the exact same artifacts with 2 totally different cards..

Where did I say they were exactly the same? You are picking one out for being spyware and yet the other does very similar things, theres no doubting that one is pushing the limits of what they are entitled to check.
To me, as you said the main issue is that EA has no subscribe option rather than Steams optin policy, but saying one is spyware and the other isnt is ridiculous, can you really justify the levels that either of the programs check, im sure there are plenty of people that will optin and not know what they are doing it for, doesnt make it acceptable just because theyve been asked first.

I also dont really understand how Steam can only search with the steam folder and yet it can recover a list of installed programs and hardware settings, its one or the other.

Yeah it should be just about enough, I spoke to MyM about it. It's a 620W Cooler Master and should have enough amps to run the card.

It is weird, the site with the model of the PSU does say it should have 2 x 6pin connectors. I'm not sure where the other cable would be (it's a modular PSU). Anyway, using the molex connectors still should give the same result.

It is very weird that the two cards give exactly the same artifacts, but I've tried just about everything (with MyM :)) to cancel out anything else. It just HAS to be faulty :(