Another UT2-question

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I wan't to try too :D
besides the new warfare engine looks gr8, terrain editor(you can make really cool bsp-holes with it;)) and the distance fog actually works! So now when you place fog it increases performance while this old thing decreases it. Really looking forward to this
:)

I have to say I'm like Plonko when it comes to this, testing i can do but if u want me to do maps or programming, nothing would benefit from it, rather the contrary.

I can open ued but then nothing more :(

Originally posted by Towanda
I have to say I'm like Plonko when it comes to this, testing i can do but if u want me to do maps or programming, nothing would benefit from it, rather the contrary.

I can open ued but then nothing more :(

This is what I learned in a month :D
When I finish that I'm gonna start an assault map, and maybe do an assault conversion of that one.

If you are interested in trying something out yourself(warning: addictive), go through the tutorials. Istarted with Blacksway's tutorial, here: www.unreality.dk/blacksway

Then you should check these:
www.planetunreal.com/lode
http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/unrealt/dunrealtm.asp

Sowwy, off-topic and I won't do it again :P

RD: thats a nice start :)

i played your map and both me and my bots enjoyed it quite a lot (me coz i camped out the shockrifle, the only weapon so far :P)

phear if i got you right you dont want to use the ut2 weapons but develop an own set?

why this? imo it would work great if someone could just implement the as mod into the game and add a hammer
i guess this would be great
what you suggest is veeery much work, you can see to what it leads if you create a complete new game on ut by looking at tacticalopst, this is a great mods but the time of developement is now going towards 2 years and everynow and then you need an update that changes the gameplay quite a lot

imo it would be better if the mod was just converted for ut2/u2 which could be done fast and then published once and in a final version so that updates are only like a new patch or something like cshp or leagueas
because as soon as you design your own weapons you have to find a balance, this balance needs to be beta tested which means that after about a month of public playing you rebalance them and give out a new patch and so on and so on

i have the greatest respect of what you want to do (i couldnt even build a level with 2 rooms and a corridor not to speak of scripting) but if you make your whole own mod with weapons and all it will be beta for ever and a stable community will be unlikeley
(again see tacops after each release whole clans split up and left their leagues beacause they disliked the new features or the changes in the gameplay)

you also say that you doubt that ppl would play a as revival in the new game, well id like to remind you of ctf which was about the first ego shooter mod after dm if im right and ppl still play it in every shooter being published, so i guess the same ppl that played as in ut would also play it in ut2

i know what i do is much talking no helping :D but i hope that i was able to explain what i mean
i will be fan of your as mod however it will be, i just wish that it will be as great as the one we all play :)

thx for reading

Thats all well and good, but the weapons set may well not work at all well with Assault. The current version of assault has failed in popularity due to the bugs in it and the insuitability of the weapon set. Ask any good mapper and the hardest job in designing a good map is having to account for launching and weapon placement, the two thorns in assaults side.

Sure you may well love the sheer ridiculousness of charging down overlords tunnels against 2-3 defenders with mini, flak and RL or down Guardias bridge against shock h0's but you are in a minority. Assault failed to atract many players because it came with too few maps, the balance in the maps was awful (not entirely the mappers fault, but the weapons & powerups they had to work with too) and had too many bugs.

Now custom mods by their nature will attract less players than those built into the game itself. A custom mod based on current assault, even if the weapons set is even suitable for such a mod is gonna attract even less players than assault has at the moment, to the point it isn't going to be worth it.

IMHO if assault is to have any future, its gonna need an overhaul.

HMMMMMMM

Its catch 22 :( Without change players get boredand leave, but changes can have same effect. The community is that small that even a relatively small number of players leaving due to changes would prove a bit of a disaster :(

Existing players are gonna leave either way, whats required is to make assault appeal to more people and to do that it needs an overhaul.

i agree to what you say phear, weapon balancement is one of the biggest problems in many maps but i cant imagine what new weapons you want to create so it leads to a gamplay thats optimal for as new weapons will lead to the same balancing problems