Another UT2-question

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

B

Bart

Got UT2 sth like a Assault-Modus? and will it start on my P||????

Where do you take your illusions from ?
Official AS support was pretty much dead even before the 1st bonus pack from Epic.

Can't rule out an AS mod being developed when UTII is out. Worldassault.com also have some clever chaps, they might be able to provide support/help to the project. But just because a follow up game comes out, it doens't mean AS has to die.

I have always intended to do AS for Unreal II / UT II and began some research into the problem and ideas for it. I even have the *cough* source *cough* and began to look at starting work on the project (as did GRZ).

But there exists one big problem. Building a straight AS conversion to U2 would be easy and wouldn't take too much time from a coding standpoint (although maps would still need to be developed). But would this work, and would people want to play it? I doubt it. A rehash of Assault with the new Engine and Weapons isn't gonna inspire much and with a new weapons set and gizmos designing maps is gonna be next to impossible since the currect weapon set isn't finalised :\ You could build maps based on the UT weapons but those maps would likely not play at all well with the new weapon set.

So whats needed is to build a complete mod, from the ground up with new map, mods, playing style and everything. All well and good when there are only 3-4 of us acutally supporting AS in any serious way. We have 1 coder (me), 3 mappers (GRZ, Opti & SteelHORN), and 1 modeller / skinner (Opti). To pull off such a project we would need at least another reasonably experienced coder, preferably another well experienced mapper and 2-3 modellers / skinners :\

Unless we can find more people to form a larger team to work on it, AS for Unreal / UT II is gonna have to wait until its released before work starts and we're gonna have to work something based on using its default weapons etc.

why new models ? If i read the thingie right it mentioned ctf as a game mode which means the standard models will have some way of displaying side. Most of us use the standard models now as it ? or am i being a stoned tit again ?

i think assault with new weapons and models will be fun I think ,you can discover many things and isn't it the adrealine that is pumping trough your vanes with assault. i think the spirit of assault will never die, cuz even I am trying to come back after 8 months of no connection.

sorry for mine louzy english

MR.Floppy

:paw:

The problem is it's very hard to make a good assault map and get everything right like weapons balance spawmpoints etc
even the greats like grz and mier had a few sucky maps