3DMark01 - strange performance issue...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Spirit

<b>*********.net Treasurer</b>
Jul 29, 2001
Cambridge, UK
I've recently upgraded a couple of bits on my system, got a 9800 Pro now, and more ram, and put the whole lot in a new case :) System is running fine, performance is pretty mind blowing and my score on 3DMark03 is 6366, which is about as good as it gets and I'm happy with that.

However, on 3DMark01 I only get a score of about 16600 which, although in itself is a great score, is far off what I should be getting. I got over 16k with my old system, and other people who got the same score as me in 03 get between 18k and 20k in 3DMark01.

Anyone got any ideas what could be holding my score back in 01 when the system performs so well in 03? :confused:

Tnx :)

Nope, no idea. Just a simple question(and perhaps for once, no offense meant :P )

Why would u be bothered what a old benchmark tool, tells you, if the system runs anything you throw at it perfectly + ?

:eek: a non-offensive post from dog? what is the world coming too.... lolz none taken anyway :D

I'm not that fussed really - its just nice to be able to compare performance to other people like irl mates who have similar systems. 3DMark03 is more important and that works fine, so I'm generally quite happy, but it would just be nice if I could get a realistic score in 01 too :)

No great loss if I can't, but might as well try :D

no idea.. weird stuff happens with nice systems.
I get absolute shite framerate in BF1942 with my resolution at 800x600 and everything else on max. (well, bout 40fps is shite to me)
but when I set the resolution to 1600x1200 something.. then suddenly it all runs perfectly smooth.

just use the new Catalyst (3.9) drivers, and i'm sure you will become ur 20k-result. Guess ATI "optimized" (aka decreased quality to raise points) the drivers :rolleyes:.

btw test ur pc with Aquamark³. With it you can test ur pc without crap optimizing.

i got 28400 Points [6000@cpu(xp2700+) and 3400@gfx(geforce4200)]

Last edited:
Actually I'm already using the 3.9s ;)

Since I started this thread I've heard a few ppl have actually had performance issues with the 3.9's so I might try dropping back to 3.8/7 and give it another go :d

downloading aquawhatsit as we speak, will let you know my result :)

In comparison to other systems, yes doh. It's nice to be able to compare how various components perform, which processors get the highest score with the same gfx card etc. All helps when buying future equipment.

I have a friend who has the same 9800 Pro as me, but in an AMD system - I find it very interesting to compare the respective performances and learn which hardware works best with other items, which incidently is his even with a lower processor speed, so now I know what to buy and what not to next time.

Apoc said:
I read somewhere you should rename the exe files and try agin :)
i've seen that mentioned on Toms + vulture central, because some cleverdicks at both nvidia + ati found out how to query the process list and compare it to know n executeable names of some benchmark programs, and then hits the speed-for-quality button. Also works for some games, but i don't have a full list. Heard Q3 mentioned in review.

That would probably explain the performance drops, as those "optimizations" have made people hammer Ati and Nvidia alot, so they removed them (thats what they said anyway).. So yeah, all you performance freaks should go back to those old drivers, they give great framerates (and crapped up image quality)

Aye maybe, but it wouldnt explain why similar systems using the same gfx card as mine get less than me in 3DMark03 and 4000 more in 3DMark01.

It seems whatever is affecting my system also affects aquamark, as my score of 41k is very low compared to similar systems which get nearly 50k. Would just assume my system wasn't runninng very well, except for my 3DMark03 score which is better than everyone elses I've compared it to ;)

there's a huge gap here:

the stats / hardware geeks

and those of us that just wants a system that can run the apps and games we use properly.

Personally, I have never quite understood the seriousity with which people aproach these things, but I guess it's all down to your interests. But it's true for most benchmarks, that they tell you very little information, that is actually comparable to real life. If I want to benchmark a computer, I do it on the things I expect to run on it, not in benchmark programs.