1v1 AS Tournament - Official Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MAP 3 - BALLISTIC (Twnz pick)

ROUND 1

What neither player needed at this point was this particular map, two hundred square feet of getting hit by pistols, sniper and minigun :hangover: But that's what they got and even Twnz was surprised when he got to the Main Gate (with the armour) on a mere 9:22, after a timely headshot caromed off Wish's empty napper :cool: Three more Wish deaths later and Twnz was still going, heading round to the Genny and picking up the healthpacks. He decided to wait for Wish instead of jumping into the room, and Wish's fourth attempt was enough to kill Twnz off.

So began a long period of armour having by Mr. Wish. Twnz's sniper had been sent to the repair shop and he was getting nowhere, at least not until around the 7:10 mark when he headshotted Wish around the Gate and again grabbed the armour. This looked more promising and he surely would not make the same mistake twice. So he didn't, twatting Wish again and ducking under the pipe to shoot the Gen from safety on 7:00.

Wish killed him off and suicided, so Twnz respawned and went straight for the nest, without picking up any weapons. Enforcers had served him well this far, but a failed lift jump thanks to Wish's enfo lockdown saw him forced to run around the main room, picking up more health and pads after dropping Wish with the help of some luck. He tried to go low and then high with enforcers, but Wish's mini sent him to the failboat. His next run was with armour and vials, and he made the right decision to jump into the nest because Wish happened to be deffing low, although Twnz didn't know this. He didn't know his jump would fail either, so he kissed all three vials and a good part of his armour goodnight as he landed. Running low he took on Wish, sniper vs mini, in the main room and won, heading for the low tunnel as Wish respawned. Wish's mini could not erode his hp in time to save the Warhead, which fell on a handy 5:21.

Things were going well for Twnz, probably better than he expected, but the last time he had faced off against a 1v1 defender at the final obj on Ballistic was vs Riv, and we all know what happened to that. We had nearly seven minutes to think about it (last time I'll mention it, Twnz, promise) :P Wish was all over Twnz low to begin with, and even when Twnz shoved through Wish was in position well in time to catch him. That is until Wish fell to Twnz's enfos around the attack spawn and was not forward in time to prevent Twnz from hitting the Ops Room button. Twnz got into the room and Wish fell back to the button with a shock, still unsure of where Twnz was. Twnz leapt out, elephant-like, and began pistol whipping. His movement and the tight area gave Wish no room to repeat his AutoRIP Dev heroics and the button got totally pushed on 6:27 - nice time!

ROUND 2

Wish's minigun had so far been just that bit better than Twnz's, and it was this which got him to the Gate on his first run, at around 6:00. He brought down Twnz three times in a row and snagged the armour, and he had yet to fully die :shout: Twnz finally twotted him before he oculd reach the healthpacks, but now Twnz had no armour to rely on. Wish pushed through again but tried to be smart, going back for the flak cannon when he had a clear run at the Gen, headshotting Twnz as he passed. Twnz respawned and returned the favour, and Wish was back to square eight.

Twnz's sniper started putting in more of a shift for a while after that, until 4:30 when Wish sniper / mini comboed him and camped outside the Gate door, waiting on the armour. Twnz was camping at the vials, waiting on the armour, and neither could see the other. So when they both went for it at the same time they shat themselves, Twnz coming off worst in the brown pants dept. The Gen duly went on 4:08, after Wish, with full hp and armour, minigunned Twnz's face off and jumped inside. Twnz was in trouble.

Wish pushed inside low, getting a spree on Twnz, who had at least taken the pads to prevent 100/150 running at him. Twnz held Wish off but couldn't kill him, and Wish scrabbled around for more health. Both players were doing many of the same things in the same ways, it was fun to watch :coolfip: Wish eventually got twatted around the door button and Twnz pushed outside, going a bit crazy with rockets and doing not much damage at all. Wish went for the pads, already having nearly full armour, and Twnz chased him in with a mini, almost losing him as Wish ran out the door and into the low tunnel. Disaster was narrowly averted, however, and Wish had another go, with yet more armour. Twnz camped in the sniper nest and watched low, insteaf of checking for the pads, but Wish sniped him down with ease and ran low with that 100/150 I mentioned. Respawning, Twnz had only time to start firing his mini at the ramp, and Wish had far too much hp and armour for that to make a difference. The clock said 2:15.

Wish sneaked high with more pads and Twnz had to sui and fall back, more so when Wish hit the Ops Room and feigned to go inside. Twnz was alert though and his stand combo met Wish full in the face. Twnz next came low with a shock and got killed, so Wish used it to push forward and start a fierce shock battle in the last room. Twnz was forced to pull off a luckmeister secondary midair save, inches from the button, and Wish tried again. He was more successful this time, Twnz failing to do him any mini damage up front and then getting sucked into another hopeless battle around the ammo ledge. Wish won that won easily and Twnz's last gasp pistol hits from the spawn door were again not enough. Wish's map with 55 seconds remaining.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

2 - 1

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MAP 4 - BRIDGE (Wish pick)

ROUND 1

Twnz made the biggest mistake of the evening when he headed low and picked up the thigh pads from the hut, waiting on Wish at the Gate. He took some of Wish's armour off but Wish then hammered over and sniped Twnz to the deck, finding, much to his amusement, that Twnz had not taken the first boots. It was lovely in Wish's world as, having killed his only opponent, he was free to run back to the lift and bootjump to the Final, taking it on 15:20, a mere forty seconds in :banghead: Bridge 1v1 is won or lost by a bootjump and Twnz had made the decision on respawning that Second was more valuable. And that's where he was when the message came through the console, with his little belt and his full hp :(

Obviously furious with himself, us, the world, and everything else, Twnz could only bat helplessly at Wish as he went for the Charges with keg and armour. Wish dropped him twice with shocks and all four Charges went, and Wish had yet to die by anything other than suicide. Twnz eventually got one lucky kill - not even a kill - when his rockets pinged Wish off the bridge as he approached the Detonator under a torrent of cannon shots. Wish took another three runs to get nowhere, although Twnz needed a lot of luck and more than one attempt each time to stop him, but the next keg + armour was the ftw. Twnz could do little as Wish's backhammer from the Charges took him sailing onto the Detonator by the 2:51 mark. Staggering :\

ROUND 2

Twnz would need massive amounts of luck and skill and Wish failage to take this map, and none were forthcoming. Long story short, what Wish didn't kill the cannon did. And Wish usually had boots on, too :trout:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

3 - 1

Last edited:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MAP 5 - THEDUNGEON]l[AL (Twnz pick)

ROUND 1

It's not often you'll see Twnz struggling, but four maps in he was 1-3 down, and this was first to 4. And here he was defending a map where the attacker is always handed at least one piece of armour, usually two. And boots. And some vials and shedloads of ammo. Meanwhile the defence get rubbish, too-far-back def spawns. And very little armour. And very few instant-hit weapons. Yes, we all love TheDungeon]l[AL :bowdown: :whatever:

Armour + mini + sniper had Wish at the Lake by 9:41 and Twnz was off to the rockiest of starts. Tossing his used armour away (for next time, if there was one) and picking up some new stuff, Wish headed high to get the sniper rifle. Twnz was there with boots and a shock, but things were going other ways than his, and a sniper body shot followed by a standcombo from Wish sent him back to the spawn area. His minigun couldn't catch Wish nudging through to Falls on a dreadsome 9:07. And Twnz said a bad word.

Twnz fell back with rockets and correctly identified the spawn route as the one Wish (with full armour) might take. Some rocket spam sent Wish the other way and Twnz nearly let him get Skull with some inattention, Wish getting one flakball off just before Twnz finally got his act together. Wish came low again for the armour, and some long distance minigunning put Twnz at half health. Wish came around the corner with a rocket spread to Twnz's feet and the Skull was down on 8:10.

Only thigh pads and boots for Wish from here on out, although Twnz got - lemme think - nothing. Perturbed not, he pushed out to the shock and saw what Wish was up to, although he failed to stop him. Wish came right, killed Twnz with his superior minigun, hit the spawn button and sent Twnz packing a second time on his way up the hill. Game over by 7:43: poor defence really from Twnz, clearly still with half his mind on Bridge.

ROUND 2

The first kill meant everything and it was Twnz's, allowing him to reach the Lake by 1:58. Still hope so far. Angrily he pushed high with a shock but he needed no midair faceoffs to take Wish down with his shock, grabbing the Falls much more stylishly on a doable 1:28. He took the jumppad but checked back to the armour, which Wish had meanwhile taken. Wish sent a rocket spread Twnz's way and the all important armour was gone. Twnz went for the pads and dropped to the spawn, Wish tracking back via the other low route. Twnz strayed too close to the right wall and Wish's r/l splash damage did its job.

"One minute remaining!" Twnz again headed high, this time sans pads, and went spawn-route with an r/l. He felt all yummy and stuff as his cluster was just in time to take the Skull with 48 seconds to go, m1cr0sec0nds before Wish could do anything about it. Wish suid and went for the shock, which Twnz, pads intact, hid underneath, trying to psych Wish out. Wish fell back high and Twnz went right, running up the middle and hitting Wish in the body with his sniper. If only he had swapped to the mini he was carrying... He didn't but Wish did, and his mini had been pwning all night :mingun: That was Twnz's big chance, seconds away from the end and with time to spare, but he stuck with the sniper and missed, and Wish took him down and breathed a sigh of relief.

20 seconds to go for one last push and Twnz went left this time, only to meet Wish waiting for him at the top of the stairs. A minigun battle took place and there was only one winnar :clap:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

4 - 1

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Congrats to Wish, pld in a good, friendly match :clap:

Last edited:
Nice report Useless! :D

Hope specs enjoyed the game, was fun, high skilled (for the most part) and every map except Bridge was realllllly close. Me and twnZ both feel like we did stupid things at points though and hopefully we'll fix that if we meet again in the final!

One thing, I said this earlier in #utapug but on Sunday I need to go back home for a family bday, not sure what time I will be back so if it's too late and the finalist is around Monday we could play then....Sunday might still be doable though, just a warning!

Anyway ggs, this tournament has had some really good games which have all attracted attention! Maybe another one next month!

Nice report Useless! :D

Hope specs enjoyed the game, was fun, high skilled (for the most part) and every map except Bridge was realllllly close. Me and twnZ both feel like we did stupid things at points though and hopefully we'll fix that if we meet again in the final!

One thing, I said this earlier in #utapug but on Sunday I need to go back home for a family bday, not sure what time I will be back so if it's too late and the finalist is around Monday we could play then....Sunday might still be doable though, just a warning!

Anyway ggs, this tournament has had some really good games which have all attracted attention! Maybe another one next month!

Well i think there's still 2/3 games to be played in the losers bracket, so you got time :)

thumbs up for a very nice match report, thanks useless!
could u please turn off that mini fire tho when u fraps? :D also I couldn't play bali-bridge-dungeons demos some bug or different versions or something (autorip and desertstorm were fine)

that being said I'm very happy with how this tournament turned out, most matches were really close and this was the only one I did not have the chance to spec. I'm really proud of disc and hydro they both improved significantly and they should be an example to all of you assaulters that have been playing for ages here and could have signed for a 16 double elimination format (perhaps another time...)

to all of you that have not played your games yet please try to complete them ASAP and also let us know in advance when you want to play, thanks!

PS: the competition at this stage reached it's peak in my opinion and from now on there should be some really high quality matchups to be seen. people (not just players) have learned a lot during these days about 1v1 assault and everybody that competed stepped up their game so I am looking forward to seeing u guise play :)

Last edited:
i should beat riv 4-0, so i would like to meet wakko again and this time beat him!!!
only jk i would be lucky to get passed riv, but IF i did, i want to face wakko again!

Looks like twnz fooked up badly in certain maps and could have been a lot closer then 4-1!

Me vs Riv is probably tonight sometime, hopefully the other loser semi gets played as well.

Nice competition!

Last edited:
update: twnz's time is limited so the sooner u play the better

if winners from today's matches can play themselves after, that would be appreciated (twnz will let me know later tonight what his plans are and I will keep u guise posted)

EDIT: test is allowed after dev, sorry sphere, guess u didnt know that, question is only before so if both players agree on it then u can (because i did not want to enforce a rule on that)

Last edited:
For people having trouble playing me demo files: I record with xconsole, not demo manager, so if you install xconsole they should work. You can still keep demo manager btw. The reason AutoRIP and Desert worked and the others don't is cos those two were ones Twnz sent me which I didn't have.

riv-wakk will be 2morrow around 6-7 gmt then winner will play twnz and after that we will have the grand final!

ggs, nice tournament, im out!!! lil bro gave me some good beats. Sorry for my poor performance those that watched

hopefully another tournament soon, havent had this much competitive fun in UT for a while. Is really good, theres a nice level of being tactical and "thinking on your feet" and reacting to the situation. And of course theres always that "one" game changing move that just inspires! at the same time theres a level of frustration when you make a mistake. its perfect!

I'll do a quick report tomorrow, nothing big like the last one, but a few little video clips, etc. Pld Riv and commiserations XB :clap:

Got an exam tomorrow, so the other semi report and the final report tomorrow evening or Tusday.

Enjoyable tourny, even though there was only one clear winner in the end. Pld Wish, commiserations Twnz. And good work Pitbull to organise it :clap:

congrats wish, 2011 UTA 1v1 winner!

and well pld to all who participated, I'm happy with how it all turned out gg everybody (many matchups were closer than what score suggests and players+spectators know what I'm talking about)
special thanks to useless for his match reports, much appreciated

PS: again I want to apologize to ert and everyone else that did not get a chance to compete in this format, I will make another one sometime in the future without wish and twnz and hopefully more will sign for an even better competition

Supreme Champion: wish
Worthy Adversary: twnz
Maybe Next Time: riv
4th place: wakko
5th place tie: XB, sphere
7th place tie: d1sc, hydro

Last edited:
Thanks for organising it, seemed to bring back some competition and every game had lots of spectators so people were obviously interested...some really interesting games too, think the loser bracket worked well.

Anyways, I have demos if anybody wants them..pm me :party:

gg, well pld wish,

I knew prior playing wish that I'd lose due to certain reasons, being put down by certain people, and having stayed up all night packing, just didn't feel "into it" at all, not even against Riv. I played a much a much better game the first time I played wish, but I was very unlucky. Anyway I'm not going to rant on about that.

wish played a far better game than I did, and deserved to win so pld to him, and thanks pit for arranging this competition and being able to keep me in the cup before I left! It was a rush I know :/

well pld to everyone else who signed up and gave it a shot, respect to them.

Goodluck with the next cup, and hopefully they'll be more signups too.