1v1 AS Tournament - Official Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Pitbull

May 12, 2008
Romania
uta1v1.png

The structure and draw has now been made, and it seems to please everyone who is playing. (Diagram at bottom of post)​

There will be 8 players involved, those being: Sphere, twnZ, XB, d1sc, hydro, w1sh, wakko & Riv

The draw was done via seeds, and randomly. The result is what looks like a balanced tournament

Remember: even after losing a round, that player continues to play and can still reach the final, and still even win!

- The first round will be the best of 5 maps (First to 3)

- Every other round, except for the grand final, will be the best of 7 maps. (First to 4)
Every loser round is also done in this format. Best of 7

- In the final, both players will pick 4 maps. If it's a tie, both players pick 1 more map each

The tournament officially starts today, January 26th. It will last for one week, but the earlier you play the better. You can play whenever you like, so start contacting your opponents! All 8 are active and on IRC, so should be easily doable.

MyM has allowed us to use -8- server for this, everybody pings well here so should be fair! Big thanks to MyM for once again allowing his server to be used!

One last word: I had to cut the number down to 8 in order to make this tournament successful and fun. eRt stepped out of the official list in order for us to make this number, so big thanks to him! He is a top player and could definitely do pretty well here, so it's a shame the numbers didn't work out.

ALSO, thanks to everyone else who signed in the original thread. I am considering making another tournament in a similar format for those players who missed out. This keeps the skill level together and should also produce some fun games!

This tournament has lots of potential and should be really fun. There shouldn't be any forfeits etc because everyone is active. The games will be fun to watch as well! Hoping for some GGs

PS: I wanna thank wish for editing this post and I also wanna thank various people for helping me out with feedback on the event, I organized it based on how you, the participants wanted it to be.

Last edited:
I have one MAJOR complaint about this 1v1 tournament, and I think it has to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. I will say this simply and clearly, your use of different colours, text sizes, underlines (ETC.) in this thread is TOO much. It is a disgrace to the english language that I hold so dear to my heart, and I DEMAND action to remedy it straight away! I want bland and consistant font size, EVERYTHING in the boring standard forum yellow colour, and NO italics or any other fancy do-da.

I am sorry to be so harsh, but I am sure I am not the only one infuriated by this; it is only a matter of time before others will show their anger also, and they probably flame you in the worst ways possible, similar to the flames I forced myself to remove from this post.

With love,
Sphere

forgot to mention this, but maps will be picked alternatively with underdogs getting first pick to get a small edge, this won't make a really big impact on the game but it will be nice to have

so for first round people picking first maps will be:
-hydro
-sphere
-d1sc
-XB

server is ready now, thanks mym

unreal://www.utapug.net:7600
pw= tournpass
25 spec slots, specs are muted can only use teamsay to communicate

dont think server has newest version of asteno yet but mym will add it later on tonite

Last edited:
sphere-twnz
1st map- bali twnz won it by 18 sec, unlucky sphere
2nd map- autorip sphere kinda got ran over 1:10
3rd map- desertstorm nice defense by sphere 3-50, weak attack for sphere wrong weapon choice for samsite, twnz won it in the end

wish-disc
1st map- dungeons, disc nice attack 1-49, wish no chance really
2nd map- bali, wish full defense, disc lost it in 3:39
3rd map- desert, wish won, assault-2:07 skud 6hp, samsite 8 hp, end obj 11 hp
4th map- bridge, wish won it, fast 2nd in about 1-30, whole assault 3:36

xb-wakko
1st map- sub base -surprisingly xb lost it rather fast roughly 1:30
2nd map- mazon same xb lost it in about 1:40
3rd map- lavafort xb full def, won it by ripper shots in 5:08
4th map- frigate funny map to watch, specs know what im talking about, wakk won it

riv-hydro
1st map- bali, riv pretty much ran him over time round 3:40
2nd map- autorip, riv won again but hydro got epic despatch after a long mini war
3rd map- dungeons, 2:46 assault time by riv won it in the end

Last edited:
anyone recording demos?
i would love to see em (some distant day in the future when I'll have time to actually do so again!).

i updated my sig and added a folder @ humyo. the account still exists.
thanks in advance! :love:

anyone recording demos?
i would love to see em (some distant day in the future when I'll have time to actually do so again!).

i updated my sig and added a folder @ humyo. the account still exists.
thanks in advance! :love:

why bother??? wish will win it np anyway

very nice so far... all the favs have gone through, think only me and wakk had a close battle as i predicted!

hoping d1sc is around tomorrow night as i wont be able to play Friday

Last edited:
very close game disc-xb, didn't spec it all but there were some funny moments :P
wish-wakko, wish won 4-0
twnz vs riv, 4-0 twnz
sphere-hydro, sphere won it 4-2

some maps were closer than score shows, riv defended bali for 9:90! vs twnz thats quite an accomplishment i would say, and other maps were really close in other matchups as well, but players and people who spectated know what im talking about :)

first map picks for next round will be
-twnz
-wakko
-xb

Last edited:
>>> XB vs D1SC demos <<<

Open console while playing to see our spec comments :coolfip: Btw I joined halfway through round 2 of Lavafort][, which was the first map (d1sc won that one).

-=-=-=-=-=-

And the XB Challenge!

He has two and a half minutes exactly to reach the Balli final objective without dying! Can he do it??? Find out here!

Alright, technically he suicides at Warhead but you know what I'm saying.

-=-=-=-=-=-

>>> Twnz vs Riv demos <<<

Desert was the warmup.

-=-=-=-=-=-

And here's Riv defending Balli final for nearly 7 minutes vs Twnz. That's approximately something in dog years. Check the saves :bowdown: Video skips twice when demo manager lost radio signal, but each skip is only like 5 seconds and nothing important happened anyway. And demo manager also doesn't show Ops Room msgs but Twnz did a few of those.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, I'll sum up what happened in the Sphere vs. Hydro match.

Riverbed3

I held Compressor/Tunnels for around 5:30 minutes. I was 'in the zone' with my sniping, hitting almost everything.
Hydro attack

Hydro did well at the beginning of his defence, holding Compressor for a couple of minutes. After it went however, I luckily got past Hydro without him seeing me and walked to Tunnels.
Sphere attack
:flack:

--- 1 - 0 ---

AutoRIP

I took Despatch on my second run - I got a little lucky when a rocket hit me as I dodged to Despatch and it boosted me to the left of it, and I took the objective from behind the switch. I completed the map in 3:30.
Sphere attack

Pretty standard defence by me for Despatch. I managed to hold it for nearly the whole time, with Hydro taking Despatch in the last few seconds.
Hydro attack

--- 2 - 0 ---

Desertstorm

I took Scud quickly, and I didn't get held up too long on samsite/underground. At the final objective I caught a break and sneaked to final.
Sphere attack

I held Scud for about 1:30 minutes, which is where I pretty much won the map.
Hydro attack

--- 3 - 0 ---

Ballistic

Generator was taken fairly quickly by me: I took the Main Gate and then hammer-jumped over it and walked to the Generator. Hydro held Warhead and the final objective for a couple of minutes.
Sphere attack

My defence was going well at the start. I was holding Generator with 1:20 left and I was feeling confident... over-confident really. I was camping back at the Generator because I didn't know where Hydro was. He got armour, took nest down and hammered in. I suicided just before he hammered, I then touched minigun and flak without picking them up (...) and fought Hydro in front of tunnels. I hit him a lot with enforcers and got him down to 21hp (he had 100/100 before hammering). I ran out of ammo however and he walked to Warhead. He took final with 2 seconds left, to the applause of the specs...
Hydro attack

--- 3 - 1 ---

TheDungeon

Every objective fell fast. I was hitting Hydro a lot and getting him down to <25 hp most of the time, but Hydro having 50-150 armour on every run made it very hard. Hydro attacked in just under 3 minutes.
Hydro attack

With TheDungeon being suited for attackers 1v1, I felt that I still had a chance. I went on to destroy Skull Lock with 1:10 left. Nevertheless, I was feeling the pressure at this point and I wasn't sniping too well. Hydro rocked his shock combos, and I didn't get anywhere near the final.
Sphere attack

--- 3 - 2 ---

Submarinebase

I held Ventilation/Gate for 3 minutes. After the Gate was destroyed I was defending too far back to whore the sb/keg anymore and the remaining objectives went a bit more quickly.
Hydro attack

Hydro killed me 3 times in a row at the start. Once I got a roof spawn I rippered the Ventilation, and I completed the map in 2:15. It was slightly unfair of me to pick subbase when hydro didn't know the map well enough. The final map (gol2) was Hydro's pick, and if I didn't win subbase I would of been in serious trouble.
Sphere attack

--- 4 - 2 ---

Overall I thought it was a good game. Me and Hydro had done a practice 1v1 a little over 24 hours earlier where I beat him 4-0. Hydro showed clear improvement during the real thing however. It seemed in the last 2 or 3 maps he gained in confidence, and Hydro made me very nervous because of it.

Last edited:
nice report there sphere, thanks for taking the time to do it

hydro winning bali was good entertainment for specs for 3 reasons
1-always nice to see somebody win maps with very few seconds remaining
2-me and most of the specs always cheered for the underdog, same as riv-twnz we rly wanted riv to pull through
3-if hydro wouldn't have won bali that was game over for him

Last edited:
Wish vs Twnz - Match Report

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The first of the semi-finals was played today between Wish and Twnz, surely the strongest two players in the lineup. Previous matches had gone pretty much according to plan. Twnz had steamrolled over Sphere (3-0) and Riv (4-0) in previous rounds - both matches closer than their results, but it's the results that count. And Wish almost mirrored Twnz's results with a fine (3-1) triumph over d1sc and then a straight (4-0) victory vs Wakko.

However, neither player had been altogether happy with his own form thus far: Twnz worried that he played poorly (for him) vs both Sphere and Riv and that either match could have gone very differently; and Wish fretting over that one itchy map he lost to d1sc - is losing a map normal for him? :freak:

Anyway, today would put someone's fears to rest and a win would pave the way to the Final. Nothing says they won't meet again there later, but this result was the dry run before the main event, and the winner would have a major psychological advantage. So, who holds that advantage after today? Read on!

>>> MATCH DEMOS <<<

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MAP 1 - DESERTSTORM (Twnz pick)

ROUND 1

Twnz attacked first and, given that Wish had held off Wakko and d1sc in the previous rounds for several runs before they managed to even get into the Bunker, Twnz had a right to be nervous. Which he was, his hands were shaking badly :P No such worries, he was in with two bodyshots and suicided while Wish went for the belt. Twnz's first run up the right came to nothing but he did take some hp from Wish's belt. So, when his second run up the left allowed him to finish Wish off with a couple more sniper shots, the Scud was in the bag by 9:24. Too easy!

Wish madly decided that he had time to go for the pads before Twnz did, but Twnz had no intention of picking them up, so Wish came back out of the tent, thought Twnz was high, and started firing rockets at the high tunnel. In fact Twnz was right behind him and waiting for the ideal moment to twat Wish in the face. This moment arrived as Wish scrambled back to the ramp, and Twnz was free to collect the health packs and run up to the Samsite. Wish was back in position but with only pistols to defend with, although he did well to get Twnz down to 15hp just as the Samsite went on a healthy 8:50.

Wish was well forward at the Underground but Twnz dodged his rocket spread and again one-two punched him with the sniper, giving him the Underground on a barnstorming 8:31. This was the critical time for Wish, he needed to gain a foothold on the hill to tie Twnz up on the clock. Twnz had done too well already, however, and halfway up the hill he dropped Wish with another sniper shot. In a moment of madness Wish opted to take the Rock Passage tele, not fully appreciating how far Twnz had run in the meantime. He ended up way behind Twnz and could only flail pathetically with whatever he had as he saw his opponent's arse disappearing low left and onto the button, with 8:13 remaining on the clock. Pownt, surely?

ROUND 2

1:47, clearly a holdable time for such as Twnz? So much so that, watching it, I felt that all Twnz needed was two or three kills around Scud and the map was won. Unfortunately, Wish wasn't interested in my feelings and did precisely what Twnz had done to him. Two punch sniper shot to take Bunker, run right and weaken belt, run left and take Twnz down, grabbing the Scud in the same amount of time as had Twnz :eek:

To defend the Samsite Twnz took the unusual measure of pushing all the way forward and blowing Wish up as he left the spawn. Twnz managed not to completely lose sight of Wish's next run, but he did let Wish jink high with 33hp remaining. The only hp available to Wish was the healthpack just past the sewer grate - no time to go for the stuff by the ramp or in the sewer. Twnz must have known all of this and also knew that he had sniped Wish once, but his head was everywhere and he decided to flak spam low and high simultaneously. Wish iffed through the spawn tunnel and onto the button as Twnz's flakballs sang harmlessly past his ear. 37 seconds on the clock...

Twnz pushed forward quickly but his rocket spread was too early, smacking into the intact door. Wish emerged a second later and started hitting Twnz while he was swapping weapons, which was why the Underground went on the first run. The map could still be Wish's but he had a mere 20 seconds in which to take it. That's one run, all Twnz needed was one sniper shot and then some flak or pistol spam at the back as Wish had no time to go for any health packs. That sniper shot never came as Wish killed Twnz once and then twice, Twnz again electing to go for Rock Passage tele rather than Generator. Wish ran low with 100hp and Twnz could only get three of the four pistol shots he needed, Wish taking the map with 3 seconds to go.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

1 - 0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MAP 2 - AUTORIP (Wish pick)

ROUND 1

Twnz was lucky enough to get the spawn he needed, by the plasma, but Wish was at the pads in record time and his minigun was too strong. He made it into the Despatch room but Twnz's pistols forced him all the way back again and Twnz finally took him down. Some rocket and plasma ping pong ensued until 8:40, when the train went past. Twnz was on the tracks when the bug hit, killing him off and sending him back to the outside spawn. This bought Wish enough breathing room to make it to the window, from which Twnz was sniping. Twnz chose the wrong moment to step through the window and Wish's lockdown sent him packing, the Despatch following on 8:25. Twnz was again only one pistol shot away from killing Wish on an objective.

Twnz took up position on the laser bridge and began foiling all of Wish's tricks. Whenever he had time he perched on the flak ledge and watched the lift, but Wish's sniper and pistols were deadly and Twnz had to use all his BT skills just to avoid dying. Wish knew he had to kill Twnz pretty near the objective to stand any chance of getting up the stairs, since Test Room was off limits and only all six vials were worth trying an uncertain hammer jump. There was one tense moment on 5:54 when Wish brought Twnz down and bought himself enough time to hammer into the window, but Twnz got off a rocket spread to save it. The pressure was getting to Wish as he again tried a hammer jump, only to be d0nged out of the window and cratered on the floor below by Twnz, then on the next run he managed to dodge off the flak ledge and kill himself :crap:

Things changed a minute later, however, when Wish finally managed to grab five vials and simply ran up the stairs with a sniper. Twnz was rushed and his plasma was not enough to kill Wish off before he could touch the Development button on 4:23. Lockdown had failed him and Wish hadn't even needed to fire.

Wish respawned and grabbed the armour, pushing along the bridge. Twnz had not suicided and instead dropped out of the window to try to combo Wish, but he missed and weirdly dodged off the bridge onto the vials ramp. Wish skipped past his insta shots and hammered off the middle ledge and down to the Final. Twnz had suicided but with no time to grab any weapons he could only get Wish to 44hp as he vanished through the tele on 5:54. One dodge off a laser bridge at the wrong time is enough, people!

ROUND 2

Twnz got first blood, but got taken down by the window healthpack, thanks to Wish's leet enforcers. Wish started the rocket and plasma leetage way up front but he got it a bit wrong when he killed Twnz for the third time in a row and then suicided with <25hp, dropping his plasma rifle :nono: This same rifle took Twnz all the way to the Despatch and Wish only just managed to respawn and whip off some enfo shots to save it. Wish pushed but Twnz got the pads and pistol whipped Wish, taking no damage himself. A dodge took him into the window and Wish's enforcers couldn't save him a third time versus pads, full hp and a sniper rifle. The Despatch went on 4:23.

On his second run Twnz sneaked low for the vials, then walked his way up the ramp, skipping those vials to avoid making noise. He strolled round to the stairs just as Wish looked out the window, and Twnz was all the way up before Wish even realised. With 115hp and a rocket launcher in his hands, and only a few steps away from the button, you would have expected Twnz to take it. Nope. Two judicious backward dodges let Wish fire off a couple of combos and Twnz was down. If he had just closed in on Wish instead of being greedy and going for the button Wish would have had no chance, but that's not how it went :angry: A similar attempt at sneakage got Twnz straight up the stairs soon afterwards, but this time Wish's plasma was ready.

Wish was finding a lot of success with shock combo / sec. plasma combinations around the vials ramp, and Twnz was left with only two minutes in which to attack. His next run bore no fruit, Wish comboing him from above the lift; but Twnz then went low, watched by Wish, and took a body shot with shock. He picked up the healthpack and rode the lift, but instead of getting in front of him Wish tried to wait at the end of the bridge to combo him as he came up. Twnz's BT skills were too leetage and he jinked towards the stairs, headshotting Wish before he could take Twnz's last 17hp with his plasma. That hp stayed intact as Twnz climbed the stairs and snagged the button on 1:37, Wish too late out of the spawn door.

Just as Twnz had, Wish stayed around the bridge and started the combos. And, just as Twnz had, he chose the wrong moment to dodge off the bridge. His desperate combos couldn't catch Twnz skipping across the bridge and through the door, and he suicided too late for it to matter. Map to Twnz with an easy 1:19 left on the table.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

1 - 1