The Official What do you think of the Actual UT2004 game thread....

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

this is obviously a direct replacement for UT for me :) (havent pld in about 5 months neway)

just got it from town an hour or so ago, not fully pld through a load of maps, just been testing out the various mods n stuff, but i have to say its absolutely brilliant so far, the new deck map stands out for me especially

at 1280x1024 all highest i get between 75 and 130fps on other mods... AS is avging at about 50 and a few jerks here and there. mothership n stuff seem well made n all but v much doubt ill play em much

i also have this weird mouse prob that i need to fix, it kinda stops working then jerks and corrects itself.. in offline play

i was just at the shop having a look at the SE. the headset is utter shit, looks like it breaks when u only touch it.
at the shop i was it as totalyl overpriced so i didnt buy it in the end, i hope i can order it online somewhere.

munkZ said:
..the new deck map stands out for me especially
hehe, do you know that its a 2k3 map from an independant mapper? the original name was dm-deck17[FUT] which stands for Fun UT afaik. it was also the first 2k3 map to incorporate a workign pair of jumpboots. apparently they liked the map alot and the boots not. if i recall the 2k3 version right the amp was placed differently and there was no tunnel from the flak to the bio, apart from that it seems to be identical.

Last edited:
Just got it today... Gameplay seems to be OK... I dont really love AS2k4 tho.

But I have to say that I'm appalled at the amount of content they just recycled, barely new player skins, no new voices at all.
But it's still much better than 2k3.

Just got off the phone with Gamestation.

They dispatched it yesterday as standard delivery, not next working day. and it hasn't arrived, took a half day from work aswell so I could go get it from the post office.

I mean ffs, the whole point of pre-ordering something is so that you get it the same day as everyone else in the shops.

It was the 1st time I ordered anything from Gamestation, ..... you can guess the next bit.

Fucking rageing :mad:

you have a seven day cooling off period for anything you buy on the net .. id get your ass down to the supermarket and buy a copy then tell gamestation where they can shove there UNOPENED copy of ut2k4

Re:

munkZ said:
i also have this weird mouse prob that i need to fix, it kinda stops working then jerks and corrects itself.. in offline play

yeah i have this too had it in the demo, is really fucking annoying

Rich said:
you have a seven day cooling off period for anything you buy on the net .. id get your ass down to the supermarket and buy a copy then tell gamestation where they can shove there UNOPENED copy of ut2k4

Any other game I would m8, but it's the SE version I'm getting...and Gamestation have the exclusive in the UK.

Which is why gringo was having so much trouble getting on earlier I think.

Game, Virgin, Woolies, Tesco etc don't stock the SE version AFAIK.

well about the game smoothness, am i the only one having severe "lagspikes" even while playing offline? sometimes its just like a pl spike, but sometimes i can move, but mouse wont do shit...
otherwise i'd just think i have too little ram, but when only the mouse freezes most of the time... dunno :x

also, for those of u who have played offline, have u noticed the bot skill difference in assault? seems like they really have put time to that, in addition to just making the bots loads better...
what i mean is, im not playing on any excessive difficulty level (dm, ctf, br maps pretty much flawless victories) but in assault it seems like the bots hit almost every single sniper shot they make; i find myself dying over and over again, and they are actually good at getting objectives, i even lost convoy the first time, and thats a map that i know well :o

Re:

Unseen said:
well about the game smoothness, am i the only one having severe "lagspikes" even while playing offline? sometimes its just like a pl spike, but sometimes i can move, but mouse wont do shit...

no i get that, i upgraded my audio drivers seemed to sort it a little

having a few probs getting it advertising on the master server but we got 1 of our servers running 2k4AS:

ut2004://195.149.21.195:7777

you get the option to add to favourites when u first join ;)

hf

CeCe said:
But I have to say that I'm appalled at the amount of content they just recycled, barely new player skins, no new voices at all.
erm there r new voice packs i think *cough* the corrupt *cough*, maybe there aint as many new skins as with 2k3 but i like most of em more than 2k3 ones
also new maps r well sized imho, curse4 for example is almost like ut version

overall i like 2k4 alot :cool:
(even tho 2k4as aint for me)

Some of the new assault maps aren't that bad. The one I like best so far is AS-Junkyard. It might play different once people know the map better, but it's a riot trying to get that Hellbender out in one piece so far. Really helps to have some good shooters manning the guns. Seems like there are a few different paths you can drive, so it's one of the less linear assault maps.

AS-RobotFactory is probably my second favorite. It's got some nice open areas to fight in at the start, and the tank/turret battles are something new.

I've had some fun games of AS-FallenCity as well. There are a couple of spammy points, but not too bad.

AS-Glacier hasn't made much of an impression on me so far. Some objectives have two paths to reach them, which helps offense a little, but there's a lot of long runs where you run, run, run, then die and have to run again. Seems like the offense spawn point should advance sooner than it does.

AS-Convoy I haven't tried in the full. It looks pretty much the same as the demo, but there may be some minor changes. I don't like this one much. Even though it's about the only one with an optional objective, it seems like the most linear and spammy one of the lot. It's the one map they have that probably would have been a lot more fun with launching since then you could have launched from vehicle to vehicle. So far the other maps don't seem much worse for not having launching or full hammer jumps. There are quite a few jump pads scattered about on the maps to help mobility a little.

AS-Mothership, I don't know yet. I have to learn how to fly the spaceships better. Kind of feels like OceanFloor at the start since you are kind of swimming through space, but unlike OceanFloor, the objectives are very linear.

Seems like the basic gametype has added some good raw materials to make some good assault maps. As it ships though, there really aren't enough assault maps. The ones that are there have some complex graphics though. Must have taken a lot of work to make them. I hope some mappers will remake the best UT assault maps.

So far I'm spending way more time playing the onslaught maps. Some of those are huge. But I'm starting to think onslaught can get monotonous since it's just constantly building/destroying nodes. Assault seems to have a little more variety.

speden

choppyness is easy fixed, just turn off all unused services and processes before running the game (inculding the two ati processes if you have an ati card) this should give you a better running game. Thing to remember is if you disable the ati processes and have an xt card your overdrive will be disabled. More usfull tips on which to be disabled can be found on the atrai forums.

speden said:
AS-RobotFactory is probably my second favorite. It's got some nice open areas to fight in at the start, and the tank/turret battles are something new.

u really find it fun to drive around in piss slow tanks, that can kill millions of players, but cant take out one plasma turret? imho the map is one of the worst coz of that... (not to mention the ion turret, wtf were they thinking of?)

things like this really confuse me in the game.. i mean whats the point of a loneley player running around on say tundra, when that ion tank can take out the whole opposing team in one shot...

also mothership... man is that beggining shit... theres no actual way to efficiently "dodge" missiles or shots, its just fly on and kill ppl, and dream of reaching ur goal :x

speden said:
So far I'm spending way more time playing the onslaught maps. Some of those are huge. But I'm starting to think onslaught can get monotonous since it's just constantly building/destroying nodes. Assault seems to have a little more variety.
Yeah I realized that while playing the demo. You only really need one map for ONS as well as for CTF and BR. However DM and AS can be very different and original.