Would you take part in the 6v6 League if it was subscription based?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Well would ya?

• No! Never!

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Yes but only if those who can use the servers are those who pay!

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Sure, I'll pay my share.

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters
beep beep...

That was my reason originally for suggesting incorporation into some kind of non-profit company:

1) If money is collected, and servers bought/rented, my understanding is that it is normal to pay for 6/12 months in advance.

Now, if we just ran everything on the lines of "gentlemen's agreement," the upshot is that if clans don't pay up, the people in whose names the servers are rented are personally liable for any/all costs. Do you want to have to pay out of your own pocket if there is some kind of cock-up?

If however the servers are bought by some kind of company, well, each clan could be a "shareholder" in this company, or, if we set up a non-profit company limtied by guarantee, they could be members. Upshot is that each clan would put up a token sum as their share/guarantee sum, so that if things go tits up, the company is simply wound up and people lose a tiny little guarantee sum, and no-one is personally liable.

Under current EU/UK legislation, you can have a company with only 1 director. The point here is that annual accounts (and other required "wanky paperwork") are allowed to be *very* simple for such companies, along the lines of:

Income: £100.00
Outgoings: £100.00
Balance: £0.00

So, one idea might be: Small company, with Phear as director, and each clan as a shareholder. Or whatever.

The point I am trying to make is this:

This may all sound unnecessary and complicated, but once you think about it, there are only really 2 sensible options:

a) Continue with the league as it is - "free" and open to all.
b) Do things "properly" and have some official body to run/govern/own the hardware.

Any kind of "half-way-house" situation is only going to leave the league admins and/or clan leaders open to personal financial or other liability if things go sour and some asshole decides to sue.

To take an extreme example, suppose someone hands over their money, still gets crap connections, and decides to sue, saying that the admins simply got another few crappy free servers from their mates at a hosting company, and that the money collected for "better servers" simply went to "The Phear and Co. Benevolent Pension Slush Fund." Laugh all you may, but it can't be discounted as a *possibility*.

Its a sad fact that whenever money becomes involved, trouble and strife are not far behind...

meep...

To Caz...

My hands are *very* fast ;)

"You like that?" [In snotty fem1 voice]

It's all funny till some1 finds it fun to sue for the hell of it. I mean a bank transfer receipt thing and link to the account # and info etc about it could be enuf.

there are lost of othe implications aswell Thuringwethil is 100% correct in whats bieng said because if for some reason someone wants to say that the funds have been misapropriated then the shit will hit the fan <----- thats a legal term :P

also with a paying league and all the cheating aligations that go on and general flames about this or that we will have to have reffs in the matches and every player submit a demo rec of the match so any alligation of cheating can be investigated.

as soon as people start to part with cash the ball game changes :/

Posted by Ace
It's all funny till some1 finds it fun to sue for the hell of it. I mean a bank transfer receipt thing and link to the account # and info etc about it could be enuf.

For sure Ace, I agree with you - its just that I am not used to seeing posts regarding legal status on the forums - quite shocked we had people of that intelligence in the community ;)

j/k before you quote me..

One thing I have noticed is that Barrysworld have a scheme called BarrysBank, in which you can use the currency "Barries" to buy servers etc.

A similar scheme would work well "PhearBank" using "Phears" as currency? ( :rolleyes: ) Of whatever. The idea is that a player from a clan would be able to login under his/her nickname and make a payment to UTA and get x of the UTA currency. This would mean everyone which pays would be on the same playing field - US, Germany, UK etc - we all use the same money.

Then people can be placed into groups/clans to make their own payments on behalf of the clan. This would give clans the opportunity to club together and collect money with minimal effort and no organisation from the clan leader to collect, exchange and repost money outstanding.

Just a thought - its not fool proof but you get the *idea*.

I have noticed a few people saying that if a scheme like this went ahead for the league, then people would expect good servers for their money.

You would be paying £1, wtf do you expect for £1.

If you want good servers to play on get your money out your pockets and pay for a good server.

You get what you pay for!

I say that £10 per clan is nothing, a round of drinks down your local. This would not be much for a few clan members from each clan to find.

But as it wouldn't be fair for clans that did not pay to have the benefits of the servers, what would happen to those clans?

Multiclanners r fucked now, they pay twice :D
Currency : what bout €s ? Available next year.

Originally posted by Japster
Currency : what bout €s ? Available next year.

Like I said a few posts above, if the league could implement a service as above, the currency people pay wouldn't matter.

The payment will simply be towards a share in the server(s), not a payment to be in the league or anything else and therefore will not garuntee you anything except use of any "subscription" servers, and this would be made perfectly clear before any such scheme gets underway.

Forcing clans to pay is obviously not a good idea, so it will be a voluntary subscription, whereby if you pay you get access to subsription servers, if you dont you have to make use of the free ones only, everything being on a clan basis not a player basis.

Anyway I'm gonna put this idea on hold for now, until we have the new server @ GW in place at least :D Research now shows there are apparently enough ppl who would be prepared to take part in any such subscription service, the finer details would just need to be ironed out. We will pick this up again in the new year if nessacary :)

Originally posted by Phear
Anyway I'm gonna put this idea on hold for now, until we have the new server @ GW in place at least :D
Err?
There´s something happening with Server#1?? (It´s from GW, or?!) :confused:

Hmmm, what originally was proposed is indeed a bit risky.
If you pay for something and do not get what you want in return shit will hit the fan easily. All discussed to death above (with sensible posts) so nothing to add to that.

So.

Why not ask for a donation and do not promise more than to invest the money in new servers? That is, without any rights for the ones who made the donation. What I try to do, with this proposal, is to move all the risk to the ones who donate. If I donate something to a charity, heartfoundation or women in need ;), I don't expect much more than that the charity will spend the money wisely. If they don't, I won't donate again. But will not sue the heartfoundation because they spent the money the wrong way.

This may very well work actually, since I have the feeling that the majority of 'our community' (did I say that?) is willing to make such a donation. But the principle is, make no promise other than that you will do your best to make the new servers available to ALL of us.

From the heartfoundation I do not expect they will only help those who made donations, no the donation was for the benefit of ALL. (I know the heartfoundation and like are registred charities and stuff, but the principle is the same if we throw money at Phear)

But there is the thing about control, we would like to see some sort of control. Any ideas? Control is needed to have feedback on how much money is 'in the bank', how much is spent on the servers, how much is needed in the near future. Could be done via a sticky thread. And a third party checking the books

If the first donations are wide-spread (not a few big payments, but lots of various small ones) Phear can set it up, and make it worth while for our community. If he fucks it up on a big way, which he won't, only many lost a little.

Shreds of this proposal can be found in the thread above. Thought to wrap it up.

Does this make sense to you lot?

Posted by Suicidal somewhere back there...
I have noticed a few people saying that if a scheme like this went ahead for the league, then people would expect good servers for their money.

You would be paying £1, wtf do you expect for £1.

If you want good servers to play on get your money out your pockets and pay for a good server.

You get what you pay for!

My point exactly Sooey. And I said it back there. Feel free to say it was me who said that in your future quotes. I'm not ashamed :D If its one quid per clan per month, that is peanuts. If its 1 quid per clan *member* per month, still peanuts. What I am saying is that if you make the league Subscription based, do it properly, and charge a realistic figure. Some piddling wee amount is more hassle to collect than its worth, and what will such small amounts really be useful for, unless they are saved up for a year and then used? :D