Which RAM?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

The sapphire was £218 inc vat+ next day del from tekheads when I ordered a couple of days ago, only had 3 left in stock tho.

Not much difference between the two makes

mmm, i dunno, i had a look at benchmarks on reviews through games and the 6800 gt seemed to preforma fair bit better in several cases than the x800 xl, u sure they preform the same? also i know it will be future proof but are u meaning they will stop producing agp type cards and stuff?

yeah AGP is very unlikely to be supported in future generations of cards, mainly because it is technically impossible to still support the new architectures on the old AGP interface. if you go for PCI-E now, which isnt such a bad idea if youre upgrading the mainboard and CPU anyways, you're better off in the future.

as for performance: firingsquad and techreport as well as k-hardware (german) have reviews showing that the X800XL is most of the time at least on eye-level with the 6800GT, in quite a few apps the GT can only see the XL's rear end. (I love metaphors :D)
Of course you wont beat the geforce series in games like doom3, but on the other hand Half-Life 2 is the ATI game where no no geforce can lead the ranking. Just 2 titles in the masses tho, IMO.
If its cheaper than the 6800 GT for you (cba to check atm), you'll not be disappointed.

kk cheers m8, think i'll go with the x800 xl then. .

is this motherboard ok if i got that x800 xl card: Asus A8V-E Deluxe (Socket 939) PCI-Express? or is there a better choice?

also, should i get a better cpu then since im not spalshing out so much on the g-card? was planning on getting a 64 bit (winchester) 3000+ before

Last edited:
maybe get the 3200+ because of the better multiplicator if you plan on OCing at some point (disclaimer: its been long ago since I last read about the 3200). but generally the 3000+ is a great price/performance deal too so its not really necessary to change that.

As for the mainboard: Both this Asus and the DFI LanParty SLI board are said to be good, I dont know about either tbh as Ive not read any detailed reviews. Just considering posts from other threads on here / other forums. I think Paa has some info on that one for you.

i know the 3500+ is going for £180, and its expensive, but was wondering if it was worth it? and also, when is the next it will come down in price? if not soon and u guys cant think of bad stuff about it, i might go and get the 3500+. cause im feeling a bit greedy. :S

and the motherboard, is there point to me getting a SLi board if im only getting 1 graphics card that doesnt have Sli? as i thought the point of Sli was to use dual g-cards, or are there other benefits? or can i use 2 graphics cards without them being both identical and Sli? (please help)

reply soon guys if possible, if i can might put an order in when i get back from school, but only if im totally clear what to get :),

If youre getting an X800XL then dont bother getting an SLI board, these gfx cards wont support it and itll be unlikely youll buy a pair of better cards later on. If youre going for the 6800GT then by all means get an SLI board, you can add a 2nd card later on, gfx cards must be identical model, you may get away with a different make but even then youd be better off sticking with the same make.

Go for the newer winchester core if you choose a 3500+ , definitely worth it if you can afford it :D

if you get the Radeon X800XL, the SLI feature is useless for you, yes.
if you get the GeForce 6800 GT, you would be able to put in another 6800 GT (of the same manufacturer) at a later time.
SLI enables you to use 2 cards at the same time, however they must be the same type and of the same make.
As said above, I recommend the X800XL because of the price/performance-ratio it has, compared to the 6800GT.

as for CPU: no idea when the next price-drop-round is going to be, tbh. They're releasing 2 new cores in first half of 2005, but the DualCore solutions, which would definately make the price of others drop, are currently scheduled to be released in 2nd Half 2005. But they've changed prices in the past without sticking to any release date, so I really cant tell.

PS: all the above info about CPUs gathered from nov.24 roadmap from amd.com.
PPS: Damnit MyM, we're geeks.

i have a Informatoin Systems exam at 1:20 :(, think im gonna die, doing last minute cramming, and think im going put a order in before i set off. just to make sure guys

AIT powercolor radeon x800 xl (£223)
winchester 3500+ (£180)
Tagan TG480-U01 480W (£72)
Asus A8V-E Deluxe (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (£100)

go for powercolor instead of sapphire for the g-card? i heard its better but fan is out :S

Last edited:
MyM, I got a week off :D

false prophet: both cards are said to be loud, the sapphire measures 62,5 dB(A), but I cant find any numbers for the powercolor.
The fan on the powercolor is smaller so it might be louder, but I really dont know.

man tried to buy it all from once place, sooo hard, as no place had more than 2 things i wanted. ended up paying like £15 for shipping. gutted. :mad: oo well exams are over, new pc parts arriving this week, its all good.

false_prohet said:
winchester 3500+ (£180)
Tagan TG480-U01 480W (£72)
Asus A8V-E Deluxe (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (£100)

go for powercolor instead of sapphire for the g-card? i heard its better but fan is out :S

man now my uber PC is starting to look like a bog standard PC already and I haven't got it yet! Fuck it then I'll just get a FX-55!