Which RAM?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

ahhh, theres a second page to this thread, i never noticed. right theres 2 was of upgrading, either:

buy:
barton AMD athlon 3200+ (£88)
1 gig of corsair cl2 pc3200 (£130)
saphire radeon x800 pro (£260)

keep:
motherboard asus A7N8X

total cost: £478

....OR...

buy:
AMD 64bit 3000+ (£100)
512 corsair ram cl2.5 pc3200 (£55)
Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe (£78)

keep
2x256 pc3200 cl3 ram

total cost: £493

ermm not sure which one to go for, please give ur thoughts. the £15 difference isnt much of an issue, which one is better though?

(yea i know, my budget when up, lol)

LOL Moe you sound english :D played fella!

The second option will you give you alot more performance as the 64 will walk all over the Barton in games! Only thing that I will say is that the memory on the A8V can work in dual channel mode and if you have two totally different memory Dimms you may not be able to utilise that function... Also can I ask what PSU you have?

And Prophet whats the point of having a budget other than to outspend it :p

Tim

false_prohet said:
ahhh, theres a second page to this thread, i never noticed. right theres 2 was of upgrading, either:

buy:
barton AMD athlon 3200+ (£88)
1 gig of corsair cl2 pc3200 (£130)

keep:
motherboard asus A7N8X

total cost: £478

....OR...

buy:
AMD 64bit 3000+ (£100)
512 corsair ram cl2.5 pc3200 (£55)
Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe (£78)

keep
2x256 pc3200 cl3 ram

total cost: £493

ermm not sure which one to go for, please give ur thoughts. the £15 difference isnt much of an issue, which one is better though?

(yea i know, my budget when up, lol)
you should definately go for for the 2nd setup with the Athlon64 if the price difference is that small.
As for Dualchannel: you wont be able to run it with 3 sticks obviously. ;) but the performance gain isnt *that* big tbh, your system will still be uber.

PS: if thats a positive thing, tim, thanks ;)

Ah I've a related question:

does anyoen know if there would likely be much difference in using 2 Gb Corsair TwinX-XL, DDR, PC3200XLPT, Cas 2 rather than just using standard PC3200?

If the difference in negligible then I guess it isn't worth paying the extra for twinX memory....

what is "standard PC3200" ?
the only thing thats standard is the frequency (400 MHz DDR).
The rest is all the difference: access timings, CAS Latency, etc. And of course quality of the chips (OC-potential for example).

you pay extra for gimmicks such as uber-cool heatspreaders or LED displays on the memory, of course.

-TwinX means is tested for dual channel, you can use std untested ram for dual channel without a problem usually
-PT means pretty platinum coloured heatsink, std corsair value ram wont come with any heatsink, again not really needed unless running the ram at out of spec volatges or you want it to look nice :P
- XL just means low timings, ram will run at faster timings but its doubtful youll notice the difference between that and say std value ram unless you run benchmarks.

Whether its worth the extra money depends on if any of the above is important to you :)

ermm thanks guys, ive decided, the setup i was thinking of getting was only gonna leave me with some money for ram, so i thought maybe i should get a XFX 6800 Gt so i wont need to change my graphics card later at all, get a new motherboard, the one ive said, and get a 64bit 3000+ and stick with the 512 ram i have atm. but was wondering, ive looked about the price of the XFX is around £313 inc VAT, is there going to a new line of cards coming out soon that i should wait for so prices drop? or buy now i shouldnt be losing out too much?

thanks

the 6800 GT is a better card than the x800 pro, btw - good choice.
keeping in mind the info currently available, you wont have any new cards from ATI prior to may/june this year, and nVidia are unlikely to release anything new (NV5x) prior to Q3 or Q4 this year.

woow man thanks dude. been really helpfull, planning on placing an order on monday. but i got a 350 watt PSU, been told it wont be enough for the card. been adivsed to get a tagan 480 watt supply. the cost was £475 with the psu, but it costs 70 so will bring me £35 over budget. :S shouldnt be too hard, but ut hink thats a wise PSU to go for?

I have that PSU mate and its excellent, prolly one of the best PSU's u can buy atm

However, have u considered the 420 Tagan? Imo it should be just about enuf to run wot u have, however if u plan on adding additional Hard drives, or phps a better g card in a year or so, the 480 may be a more future proof choice, just depends how much money u can spend :D

ive had the tagan meself for about a year now, rly decent altho after a month one of the fans in it died which i guess has made it even quieter lol still runs and works fine tho

Nephilim said:
the 6800 GT is a better card than the x800 pro, btw - good choice.
keeping in mind the info currently available, you wont have any new cards from ATI prior to may/june this year, and nVidia are unlikely to release anything new (NV5x) prior to Q3 or Q4 this year.

The x800xl performs as good as the 6800GT and sometimes alot better and it's over a £100 cheaper..

u can pickup x800xl's for £210 inc VAT in the UK

Paa` said:
The x800xl performs as good as the 6800GT and sometimes alot better and it's over a £100 cheaper..

u can pickup x800xl's for £210 inc VAT in the UK
yeah, but he talked about x800 pro and 6800 GT :P

if you can, get the X800 XL, yep. its the GT-killer

the "GT-Killer" eh? and its £100 cheaper?

so this X800 XL is better than the 6800 ultra, and cheaper... so shouldnt i go for that one instead guys?

edit: just taken a look, only found PCI-E ones, is that right to say it only comes in PCI-E then?

Last edited:
Its PCIE only, although if youre buying a MB and gfx card at the same time then you may as well buy a MB wih PCIe support, prices should only be £5-20 higher depending on the model you go for and should give u more support for future upgrades

kk, yea i seem to save £50 which will come in handy for the PSU i didnt account for at the start. nice1 folks. thanks! so sapphire radeon x800 xl , sapphire edition the one im after, or the powercolor... or which?

Last edited:
Yeh you do need a pcie motherboard

sapphire of powecolor whichever u find cheaper..