Ut2004 ASSAULT!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

WKD

mIRC slappa :(
Jun 10, 2001
skanked from PU,

ATARI ANNOUNCES UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004
Latest Edition of the Definitive Computer Blood Sport Includes New Maps, Modes, Mods

-- New "Assault" and "Onslaught" Game Types Include Huge Terrain, Land, Space and Air-Based Vehicles --

LOS ANGELES - May 13, 2003 - Atari is bringing Unreal® Tournament 2004, the newest edition of the definitive virtual blood sport, to personal computers this Fall. Unreal Tournament 2004, like its predecessors, is being co-created by Epic Games Inc. and Digital Extremes. The game will be shown at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, May 14 - 16, in Petree Hall, room 4003.

"Unreal Tournament 2004 is the next evolution of the greatest competitive computer game ever created," said Jean-Philippe Agati, senior vice president and general manager of Atari's Los Angeles studio. "The addition of new modes, mods and maps as well as the controllable land-, air- and space-based vehicles, means Unreal fans are getting an entirely new experience featuring devastating vehicular combat and wide scale warfare."

Key features of the game include:

Assault Mode: The much heralded single-player oriented gametype returns with all-out battles with land, space and air-based vehicles on the home worlds of various Unreal Tournament 2004 combatants. In one scenario, players will experience the adrenaline rush of space-based battle while attacking or defending a Skaarj mother ship. Another scenario takes place on Xan Kriegor's mechanical home world where players attack or defend a robot construction factory. There are currently six Assault scenarios planned to ship with the game.
Onslaught Mode: New multi-player oriented combat game type on custom-built large-scale maps featuring awesome new weapons and land- and air-based vehicles. From the lethal bomber to the nefarious spider mines - players will work as teams to control map points and win the conflict. There are currently nine Onslaught maps planned to ship with the game.
Live voice chat over LAN and internet with 3D audio (on supported sound cards) so players can sense where voices emanate from. Using a microphone and headset (not included), players can communicate with teammates and buddies or just yell at everybody who gets in their way! Several settings are provided to allow users to customize their voice chat experience.
Fan-favorite Unreal characters will return to challenge in the tournaments, including the Skaarj, the Necris and the infamous Xan Kriegor.
The game will include 20 never-before-seen maps for the existing game types, featuring tons of new textures, new static meshes and new music. It's a field day for mod makers! Also included are new maps from Digital Extremes designed specifically to appeal to "hardcore" UT players.
In total, Unreal Tournament 2004 will ship with more never-before-seen maps than the entire number of maps that shipped with Unreal Tournament 2003!
UnrealTV match broadcast system will allow for hundreds of people to view an Unreal Tournament 2004 match with minimal performance impact on game server. UnrealTV will be fully integrated into the server browser to make it easy to located broadcasted matches.
Complete end-user voting system that will allow users to choose game type, maps, mutators, rules and settings and will also provide the ability to remove troublesome players from the game. Custom clan-match voting system will allow clans to negotiate acceptable game settings prior to a competitive match.
Unreal Tournament 2004 users will be able to join games on Unreal Tournament 2003 servers.
A completely redesigned user interface (UI) will be easier to navigate and support context-sensitive menus, an in-game login menu (to improve team balancing) and an improved server browser with enhanced server filtering options. The underlying user interface system has been reengineered to be easier for Mod authors to build menus and implement their own UI designs.
Tons of cool gameplay tweaks and refinements including unique crosshairs for each weapon, the ability to carry dual Assault Rifles, improved computer-controlled "Bot" team coordination and movement, network bandwidth usage optimizations and more!
In addition to the new modes, maps, characters, vehicles and improvements, Unreal Tournament 2004 includes all of the content from Unreal Tournament 2003 plus the two free bonus packs released by Digital Extremes and Epic Games.

Unreal Tournament 2004 is expected to ship this Fall with an ESRB rating of "M" for mature

seems like its just another ploy for more profits.

they will edit the game, making minor bug changes- additions and then ship it out as "UT 2004", and earn money off it again cos of the name.

fuck em.

really sad to see these actions from ATARI

Now you know ut2k3 wasnt good enough
and I will never start play it again!

next ut2k5!?

Just scanning the list of things planned for UT2004 - looks to me like a tacit admission that UT2003 was an unfinished rush job.

All the "new" stuff planned for UT2004 is really just stuff which should have shipped with UT2003 - more maps, skins, models, game modes etc. To say nothing of UWindows, integrated UTV support and an official mapvote system.

Oh well. I'll probably end up buying it anyway :D

Wonder how this will impact on the RoaR team's straight assault port, or Infinitegame's U:C, given that the "new" Assault / Onslaught modes (with vehicles) sound pretty close to the Infinitegames project's proposals...

:\

I'd say it leaves RoAR dead in the water (although they could switch all their maps over without much problem I'd imagine). As for U:C well it certainly leaves a ? over our plans. More details would be required to come to any final conclusions tho.

Hmm what Vipah said.

But I'm happy they r making something new again, whats the prob if they make a game u dont like fs? Just dont buy it then. :P

This irritatingly makes the work of many modders out there, striving to make UT a decent game, a complete waste of time. Sadly.

As Thur said, its a near complete admission that 2k3 is...er... shit.

The only downside is that if they have that cd-key crap on it then it'll be a pain to crack it and play it for free, so I'll end up buying it, playing it, realising it's still shit, and being pissed off with it.

How shit.

Also, the idea that UT2004 players will be able to play on UT2003 serves as well pisses me off. WHY THE HELL DID I BUY UT2003 THEN!??

It's just a glorified add-on if you ask me. Should be free to download as a fucking patch fs.

It's sick they're going to successfully make money out of us again, because like it or not, most of us will probably end up buying it even if we think 2k3 is shit and Cliffy B is a retarded fuckwit.

However, if you read it all the way through, you realise that it REALLY is just a glorified patch:

-- New "Assault" and "Onslaught" Game Types Include Huge Terrain, Land, Space and Air-Based Vehicles --

That fucks RoAR and U:C.

Fan-favorite Unreal characters will return to challenge in the tournaments, including the Skaarj, the Necris and the infamous Xan Kriegor.

Xan skin is shit, and the Necris skins have already been done (and very well, too, I might add).

The game will include 20 never-before-seen maps

Maps? Or things with prefabs whacked down all over the place, making the map look "The same, but different"

A completely redesigned user interface (UI) will be easier to navigate and support context-sensitive menus

Completely redesigned? You mean you're just going back to the original menu, the way it should have been KEPT in the FIRST PLACE.

Tons of cool gameplay tweaks and refinements
You mean your going back to the original? The way it SHOULD have been KEPT in the FIRST PLACE. (?)

unique crosshairs for each weapon
Good. Fair enough.... Although why this wasn't there in 2K3 I don't know.

.....But there is one thing that SERIOUSLY irritates me...
There is no mention of them fixing that lame bug where the sniper rifle goes all quakey and shit, and shoots gay lightning bolts instead of bullets.

FUCK. OFF.

Humph for the first time I totally agree with u..
If I knew ut2004 was commin after 2003 with the assault mode I would NEVER have bought ut2003 ffs :mad:

Come on guys, didn´t you even try the game before you went to the store ?

I played it for like 15 mins until i realized it´s total shite.

Long live good ol UT :)

Looks to me like its going to be what "Team Arena" was to Quake3 Arena. A glorified add-on.

Talking of things quakey - I've just been watching Alien:Resurrection. At the point where they're cutting Ripley's chest open with the laser, look at the scientist on the far left (Ren?), and look at the sigil on his breast pocket. Look familiar? :D

I'd never noticed that before, so apologies if it's "old" :D

Originally posted by Phear
I'd say it leaves RoAR dead in the water (although they could switch all their maps over without much problem I'd imagine). As for U:C well it certainly leaves a ? over our plans. More details would be required to come to any final conclusions tho.
Doesn't do us much harm. Actually it helps us a lot.
Almost noone plays 2k3AS, so now the gametype will get more publicity which is quite good. We didn't spend much time coding, nor it was complicated, and helped us learn coding for future projects (I also joined another mod only as coder and have coded TO-like gametype).
Maps will be portable with 1 hour per map port time. Then we'll just release a RoAR2k4ASMappack. That is if there is a cheap upgrade 2k3 to 2k4.

Two things are very bad though:
1. There are only 6 AS maps planned for 2k4. We will have at least 8 (!!!) in our 1.0 realse.
2. Everyone that bought 2k3 is cheated by Epic because 2k3 should have had all features that 2k4 has (as they said it would).

I hope after they looked at our code in the Beta of 2k3AS (cliffyB asked me about it) epic will include n00b friendly features.

Also I doubt that epic mappers know how to make a balanced AS map.

Now, I only need an 10€ upgrade to 2k4.

as this onslaught is based round destroying an objective, CTF mapt style, it look like it going to destroy another MOD, as someone has already made one very similiar:(

TBH, it was ALWAYS clear that there was going to be a UT2004 ever since UT2 was renamed to UT2003. If you didnt see that coming, then you really are stupid :lol:.

IMO, i see nothing wrong with it, UT2004 looks like its gonna have alot of cool stuff in it, even more than UT2003 did, and we'll have offical assault again, which is cool.

Ii probably is for them to get more money, but who gives a shit. £40 once a year? I hardly say there asking alot. Get a job and stop complaing :rolleyes:.

I say bring it on, cause ill buy it.

Originally posted by Bahamut
If you didnt see that coming, then you really are stupid :lol:.

I say bring it on, cause ill buy it.

:eek:

No doubts ppl was expecting a new version of UT, but no1 expected it to come out this early and you didn´t either so don´t try to act smart... :rolleyes:

And you will only buy it cause you suck at UT(1) :P :moon:

P.s.
They should create a new version of UT(1) with a serial so we get rid of cheaters and shit instead. Now this is something i would spend £40 on :D