Uber Pc Required

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

u could ermm get a

dfi nf4 mb in june

a64 3500/3800
1 nvidia top of the range sli gfx card
all the rest of the bits.

then in a year upgrade the cpu ( make sure it still fits the mb )

and add a extra gfx card for sli gaming and increase performance pretty well for a long period..

ah another thing I just thought of: I'll probably be wanting to use 2 monitors at times so do all the fancy new gfx cards support 2 monitors or if not how would I go about setting up my system?

any ideas?

They all support it, only thing you may want to look out for is if you particularly want to use DVI to connect the monitors, not all cards have two DVI, some are VGA + DVI combo

MeetYourMaker said:
VGA + DVI combo

yeh think that's what we have at work but you can get dvi-vga adapters easy enough.

han't realised all the new ati and nvidia cards had multiple outputs, oh well good.

DVI to VGA yes, you cant get VGA to DVI, So if you wanted both monitors to use the digital interface you would need to make sure it had dual DVI, used almost exclusively on TFTs.

well so far all the cards that have dual DVI (best for dual-TFT) are the Matrox Parhelia cards and the GeForce 6800 Ultra (not 100% sure about the GF and cba checking right now).
My brother uses dual-DVI for his 2 Samsung TFTs that arrived the other day, he has a Matrox Parhelia. hopefully I'll get a chance to see them in action tonight so I can tell you about the performance (20 ms panels).
all the other cards are 1 DVI 1 VGA afaik.

oh, and before you ask, foxy... the Matrox Parhelias are rather bad for gaming ;)

hehe well it works out ok then cos I was thinking of a gforce 6800 ultra anyway :) thanks for the info guys :) I'll check out the geforce later too. My concern was that I might not be able to get a top end gfx card for gaming that also had dual monitor capabilities.

Last edited:
that sony looks nice! hmm!, prolly get something like that and then a 17inch lg flatron or summat.
Yeh after Paas post I was looking at sli mobos and think I'll be tempted to get two geforce 6800ultras and maybe a althlon 64 3500 or 3800 and then just upgrade the cpu when the prices come down a bit.

Hope ur doin fine anywayz m8ty :)

looking at my specs below i have the viewsonic 19" vx912b and yeah there is slight blurring but i dont really notice anymore guess just got used to it,come over to mine and you can give it a go miester over a few jd`s :), the only thing puting me off sli is the fact u wont be able to get any water cooling on the vga as they are too close together :(

Last edited:
fs much less effort when joko does it all!

ok for the fear of sounding well daft....
so you have Nividia geforce 6800 ultras or Gainward geforce 6800 ultras...or...or.... wheeet? i thought nvidia make geforce and ati make radeon and that was it? so do other companies make gfx cards that use geforce chips or summat?

oooo two 6800ultras in sli with watercooling ......slobber! :)

wtf!!! eeek!! I'm getting more geeky fs!! I mean er er whens the football on?? get me a beer!! :3some: :spin:

The GPU manufacturer (ATI/Nvidia) makes the chips and a reference design cooling+layout for its usage. The partner companies (gainward, leadtek, sapphire) can then use the chips to make graphics cards under their own brand however they are still Nvidia/ATI chips, where cards can slightly differ is in the cooling solutions and components used (such as memory chips) or design tweaks on the PCB itself. Gainward for example make Golden Sample versions which are just manufacturer overclocked cards, something Nvidia is highly unlikely to come out with themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stiffler
Right, Ive watched some DVD on the 17" Samsung TFTs (20 ms constantly) at my brother's PC.
Cant see any blurring whatsoever tbh.

they get my inofficial Kick-Ass-Product award ;) (Slight minus is the software-dependency, theres only 1 hardware button and thats power on/off).

Neph: mmm ok thx m8, mebby I'll get a samsung for my secondary monitor then :)

MeetYourMaker: ah ok thx m8, er so is any manufacturer clearly the best? mebby need a poll to see what ones people use.... :P :)

perhaps if gainward do water cooling gear for sli arranged boards it would be better to go with them, unless the nvidia/ati ones are safer, more reliable etc. LOL i don't even have a clue what the ones I've used in the past are, only knew they were geforce.....oi Dunc what were the ones we've had at home??

Last edited:
well foxy, most of them are same speed since its the same chip & memory at same clock speeds.
There are these "Golden Sample" or "Deluxe" or "Extreme" kind of editions (just OCed a bit by default) some manufacturers like GainWard or Leadtek offer, but they usually cost a bit more than the standard model of a card and IMO the performance gain isnt big enough to justify that (unless its a X800Pro @ XT mod or something, i.e. with extra-pipelines by default n that).
The only other big difference between the various manufacturers is the cooling solution on the card - most of them just stick to the nVidia reference design but put their fancy colorful logo on it to make the plastic look 1337, but that of course doesnt make it any better. Brands like Leadtek are known to always develop their own cooling solution, which may be really huge (like on the GF6800 series) but at the same time is also more effective and quiet than the reference design.
And the software-bundles that come with each card also vary a good bit (no games / few games / few games + apps / etc.)

In the end you'll have to check reviews about which brand suits you best and is good at the above criteria.

Nephilim said:
Right, Ive watched some DVD on the 17" Samsung TFTs

What were the samsungs you had?

just got a new monitor at work so that I have a LG flatron L1730B and a Samsung SyncMaster 710v (I needed them honest). Anyway is good to have both so I can compare similar screen from diff manufacturers. Dunno what they cost though. The main difference I see so far is that the LG is more adjustable as it can rotate as well as tilt. The samsung is more compact but with the same viewing area though.