Uber Pc Required

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I'll have to disagree with poof, as much as I hate to do so..
if you get a flatscreen from a proper manufacturer such as Samsung, 20ms is good enough for DVDs and Games because theyre able to keep the 20 ms at all times. The hype of BenQ with response times below 10 is all nice, but can these panels keep these timings at every second of use? I doubt it.
My brother is buying 2 of them Samsung 20 ms panels ( 17" I think), he's tested them with DVDs etc. and says its all fine - I'll try to confirm that personally ASAP. (aint got the money myself unfortunately)

Does anyone actually play UT with a 19inch flatscreen that can comment? I had a quick look at BenQ FP937s+ review and most are not great. Unbranded stuff alway give more dodgey quotes on their specs I reckon. I'm with nelph here I'd rather get better known brands like Samsung etc.

I've never used em for gaming but the LG and AG flatscreens at work seem good...

Last edited:
I've tried about 4 different 17" flatscreens with UT in the past 12months and without exception they've all been unplayable :( Although they've all been branded (including 2 different samsungs) I haven't yet tried a 12ms tft....all mine were 16ms or higher.

From my experience, although its meant to be better, DVI also made sweet FA difference....UT is just toooo fast and the blurring that occurs on the screen as a result just aint funny :(

I havent been able to notice this response time issue with the TFT's I have had, and I have 3 Acer 1721 17" TFTs

The site says its 16ms typical refresh rate. I cannot see any ghosting/streaking/blurring - at all in any of the games I have played. I think some people must notice it more than others.

well foxy I'll try to check gaming performance on the TFTs when I get a chance. But judging from experience so far I trust my brother when he says its good - but I also want to see it in action myself :p:

Price is also a problem.. to get a half decent tft u need to spend 250-350 maybe more ?? 19" or something..

a good 19" crt is 200-250 and u get good quality and is excellent for gaming, i always thought the only reason to go for tft is if you really dont have any room.. i swapped my 15" tft couple of years ago for a 19" crt made a huge difference. ( colour, brightess, contrast, ghosting. )

However i guess tft's have gotm much better since then..

well as for CRTs I can really recommend the LG Flatron Series, if you want 19" go for the F900P (I am looking at the F700P atm, 17" version, its excellent)
TFTs, well, the 20 ms ones from Samsung I am probably gonna test personally this week are around 500 Euros each. mind you, 17" (1280x1024 native resolution, but the interpolating to other resolutions works like a dream from what Ive heard so far)
These TFTs also have comparable display quality to some CRTs so that argument doesnt count anymore. if I recall correctly, TFTs use less power as well (Watt) (or was it them CRTs being not nearly as powerhungry? I might mix it up here lol)

Well, i got it now, first impression: wow.

What i dont like atm (still have to fiddle with settings etc) is the brightness, its totally shining like a star in my dark room, i cant even see my keyboard anymore oO :P
Anyway, i tried UT a bit, first had to change to TFTs native resolution (1280*1024), changed some OpenGL settings.. woot, weird feeling, large resolution and stuff, so much to see ... and the brightness, aww... Anyway, i do see very little blurring, if anyone is telling he cant see blurring, well, he should consult a doctor. The blurring is there, but not really annoying, u get used to it (well, i hope so :P )

For DeskTop, superb, black is really black (read somewhere its not black, its like dark blue) and its total crisp :D

Will tell more when i´m used to it...

@Neph, yeh it's a 17inch LG Flatron I got at work, maybe I should try a sneaky UT install! Seems good for other apps though, I've watched dvds on it etc and it seems fine. Any idea if their 19inch ones are good?

@Martz, Joko was talking about some acer 17inch flatscreen and it was getting rave reviews everywhere. Weird that, after working at a help desk and seeing how many faulty acers were brought in I was generally avoiding acer....maybe their flatscreens are good though. I wonder what the 19inch ones are like.

@Phrophet, thx keep me posted what you think :)

See if I'm spending a fair bit of dosh on the system it seems a waste if i get a monitor that isn't up to scratch. As a last resort I'll get a CRT cos like PAA said you more likely to be happy with performance but I guess I just need to keep reading reviews for the flatscreens as they still getting better.

Last edited:
well I think the only diff between the F700P and F900P (LG Flatron series) is that one is 17" and the other 19". They're likely to be same quality tbh.

foxy, Drøbak is about 3500 km south of Oslo (3,5 mil)..and there's not much to do down here.... (not worth visiting cept for Oscarsborg (little fortress that sank "Blücher") and maybe "Julehuset" (Christmas House))

tfts :nono:

if you've enough space, take a crt. they are cheaper and have often a better image quality.

Bart said:
tfts :nono:

if you've enough space, take a crt. they are cheaper and have often a better image quality.
not very convienient for LAN's etc. though... :rolleyes:

bla, when you are a real man then the transport of a 21 inch crt shouldn't be a big problem ;)

dunno about you, but i wouldn't use a (expensive) 500 euro TFT at a lan.

foxy said:
Does anyone actually play UT with a 19inch flatscreen that can comment? I had a quick look at BenQ FP937s+ review and most are not great. Unbranded stuff alway give more dodgey quotes on their specs I reckon. I'm with nelph here I'd rather get better known brands like Samsung etc.

I've never used em for gaming but the LG and AG flatscreens at work seem good...
A friend of mine has a 8ms 19" Benq tft monitor, i can perhaps try it out one day and recommend it if it's worthy, although they costs a bit when u want low response time, which is a good thing.. ;)
EDIT:what p00f said :nod:

Last edited:
foxy said:
that would be ace if you let me know m8. Yeh getting the right flatscreen is harder than with a CRT.

As for the fans and PSUs it's good to hear peeps thoughts cos there's nothing worse than some big monster that sounds like a plane taking off!

Yeh looking at the CPU prices seems better to get a slightly slower one cos you pay 200 rather than 400. Then upgrade when the price comes down.

@gaz, hey m8 - maybe see ya in 2k4 soon - i'll be the nooby one.

@ LilFvB and Cassius - where exactly are u2? Drobak - that's in Oslo isn't it? I'll prolly be traveling around a bit so I'll let you know if I'm gonna be near and we could meet up. Cassius old 24 buddie weren't you? seems ages ago now lol! Start Norwegian classes next week, 2 four hour sessions each week!

Norge er kjempefint, mange deilige jenter med fine pupper. Ha det bra -

hehe I've learned some already, have to learn fast when people speak it all the time at work fs.
Yeah foxy, correct:) i live in gjøvik, that's 90 minute drive north from oslo, neighbourcity to lillehammer which had winterolympics in 94 :) :wave:

Bart said:
dunno about you, but i wouldn't use a (expensive) 500 euro TFT at a lan.
Well, it was "just" 420 Euros :P

And for the LANs, we got our own security :) Because everyone is showing up with TFTs and big huge watercooling cases those days... :P

Ah, update, i fiddled some more with the settings, i think i get used to it now... It feels better the more i use it :D

Nephilim said:
I'll have to disagree with poof, as much as I hate to do so..
if you get a flatscreen from a proper manufacturer such as Samsung, 20ms is good enough for DVDs and Games because theyre able to keep the 20 ms at all times. The hype of BenQ with response times below 10 is all nice, but can these panels keep these timings at every second of use? I doubt it.
My brother is buying 2 of them Samsung 20 ms panels ( 17" I think), he's tested them with DVDs etc. and says its all fine - I'll try to confirm that personally ASAP. (aint got the money myself unfortunately)
Its not really about the response time, its more about the panel inside..

Check here: http://www.de.tomshardware.com/display/20050114/index.html (german) or http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050110/index.html (english)

thePROPHET! said:
Its not really about the response time, its more about the panel inside..)
thats what I said in response to your "25 ms is baaaaaaaad , my 8ms BenQ is (probably) gooooood" post, isnt it? ;)