The UTV debate

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Well, we tested, and apart from a problem between map changes, I don't think there were any other problems. Correct me if I'm wrong :D

I think its preff to make a team of specs, and not let anyone from either clan be the spec, as the spec is viewing the stuff realtime, less changes of flames then...

Also, the server ran negible cpu slots, so just about any machine will do, tonight I tested on my gaming box, but I will try and set it up on my crapserve(lin) tomorrow.

Lets sum it up then:
  1. Both clans can veto using utv
  2. Spectator from spectator team
  3. Delay time? ( 1 min should do really)
  4. (More tests to see how leagueas is affecting the stability)

dog said:
Lets sum it up then:
  1. Both clans can veto using utv
  2. Spectator from spectator team
  3. Delay time? ( 1 min should do really)
  4. (More tests to see how leagueas is affecting the stability)

Aye.

Miner said:
Well, we tested, and apart from a problem between map changes, I don't think there were any other problems. Correct me if I'm wrong :D

General Protection Fault:

History: UPackageMap::GetClassNetCache <- Class LeagueAS135.LeagueAS_SSDAbstract <- UActorChannel::SetChannelActor <- ULevel::TickDemo <- UpdatePostDemoRec <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UTGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

As mentioned in IRC - tried connecting to the feed around 30 times and just GPF'd each time - Tried different settings etc... still the same shit. |DoG| had the same probs iirc. (Did you ever get in btw?)

No, I never managed to enter as a viewer, the only "problem" as broadcaster is that you apparently need to reboot ut at map changes(which can be quite fucking often :lol:)...

If the admin team will incorperate this into the league, I think we will have np setting up a seperate paralel assault tv station, we are a few who've been talking and it seems to be no biggie

cool, sounds good to hear that people are tying to implement this as its a very good idea. keep up the good work and hopefully soon we can have some utv.

a thing that occured to me is that for a match ur gonna need a spec obviously to give up his time, and his gotta be unbiased? spose. if u ahve that feature say where both clans agree you may find that every clan agrrees to it.. then your gonna have and lots of people to host and so on... so maybe limit to who and how many times they can choose to have utv? important wars? i dont know. something to consider tho.

Well , if this is too be used in match's , I think their should be 2 feeders , e.g. (-8-) v ]UAS[ , players who aren't playing for (-8-)/]UAS[ must go with the feeder that views their clan so they can't be on Teamspeak or whatever and telling their clan where the offendin clan is

Feeder 1 : looks at (-8-) players
Feeder 2 : looks at ]UAS[ players

so then there is no seeing each others tactics.

Also if UTV is being introduced , I think shoutcast would also be nice , tune into winamp and listen to commentery :)

Riotz said:
Well , if this is too be used in match's , I think their should be 2 feeders , e.g. (-8-) v ]UAS[ , players who aren't playing for (-8-)/]UAS[ must go with the feeder that views their clan so they can't be on Teamspeak or whatever and telling their clan where the offendin clan is

Feeder 1 : looks at (-8-) players
Feeder 2 : looks at ]UAS[ players

so then there is no seeing each others tactics.

Also if UTV is being introduced , I think shoutcast would also be nice , tune into winamp and listen to commentery :)

reall that's a load of crap first one min delay would "reveal" as much as 10 min ... second 2 feeds would require 2 servers kinda (depeding on demand) and that stuff beeing locked is crap too cuz people say stuff about "hey i wanna keep this launch to myself so you must lock it" how do you know he is not gonna launch there .... also it's pretty funny how militant people are about launches 98% of the time you'll end up watching the demo too see where the others launched anywayz ... and juts running important matches would that be i-spam-therefor-i-am matches in div1 or newly entered top clan matches in div 5 or would you use it so you could spot cheaters etc etc... if you wanna limit utv usage set it to playoff-relegation matches only cuz it would be most fair for every div (maybe not as fun tho) or have people vote for match of the week and then air it (then again most are div1 wannabees so you could maybe only have 1 div each month so it'd be week 1:div1 week2:div 2 etc etc)

Ok, I've been feeder all night for around 10-15 people watching an american game (AS vs CTF 8v8). They used normal AS (not leagueAS), and there were no HUD problems, or problems with the movers etc.

The server reconnecting problems were still there, though I had a batch file that simply restarted UT automatically, and I could just sit back most of the time and give the specs a good show.

Me and Timo_Maas took a look at the source code, and could see where it had to be adapted to include the extra HUD stuff. The problem there is that it is that data is simply not sent feeder --> server --> client.

The other problem I'm guessing is to do with triggers not being sent. I'm guessing perhaps LeagueAS modifies them in some way? (especially FortStandards?). That requires a bit more looking into.

Also, I got no General Protection Errors playing with normal AS.
Thanks to Psy for sticking a server up all night, for testing and for me.

P.S Me and Dog should be broadcasters, I started the whole thing and he tested the first server ;)

Last edited:
Humph said:
Sounds fine to me. Don't see why It couldn't be done....

But clans would use it to see where/when launchers are coming...

There is a delay between something happening on the server and viewers seeing it on UTV - this is to stop any potential voice-comms cheating from going on

auriel said:
There is a delay between something happening on the server and viewers seeing it on UTV - this is to stop any potential voice-comms cheating from going on

Yeah I don't think in the scope of AS you can have an advantage made from UTV, keeping in mind you can only watch what the spectator is watching. 1 minute behind, try and think of 1 situation where that would be useful. A FULL 1 minute. In the point of view from the spectator.

It's useful it works BUT

it cant be used for all games

just like clanbase the only way it's going to work is with "big" or popular wars each month

Miner said:
P.S Me and Dog should be broadcasters, I started the whole thing and he tested the first server ;)

Hmm; I think Psy suggested it only be kept inside the admin team.

As I've mentioned in IRC tho - once we've got an exec function working to connect to the broadcaster rather than through the ui; along with my batch script, the majority of it will be automated. Even if an admin isn't about to pan through the match, a macro to scroll through players every 20s could easily be set up.

People have suggested that UTV only be used for the bigger games though; so with some prior organisation, there would always be a feeder available.

X-Bomb said:
lets trial it in pro as, not much launches u can do there, and all the launches that do exist, im sure 95% of the pro as players know them. 1 spectator wont hurt in pro as either. if it works well u cant try and extend it to std as.

and of course ias u could try, there are some launches but im sure most ppl know them as well.

the only thing tho, is there shud be some kind of delay so team m8s cant use rw/ts etc.. to relay messages about the opponent position.

agree :)

A very good idea imo... been discussed countless times, but this time it looks like something is actually going to happen :yipee:

Worked fine for me to watch , tho after a map was completed my machine made an own server, so i had to reconnect,

Anyways think it would suite best for playoffs and other "big games" :)

just my opinion :D