Saddam deathpenalty?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

What should Saddam get?

• He has done terrible things, so deathpenalty fits

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Killing someone as punishment is wrong, give him lifelong in prison

Votes: 40 70.2%

• Total voters

Lex_Mortis

Not here
Sep 2, 2002
The Netherlands
Last night was some US spokesman on TV telling that The Hague War Tribunal doesnt have the deathpenaly, and therefor he wants to trial him somewhere else, prolly US. So what he said there is "I want him dead.", what do you think?

i think it's not to us to decide if he should die or not.
anyway who can judge another man, accepte the ones who been injured

I would like to add 1 thing..

Pretty often is said "you cant reverse deathpenalty if someone is innocent, but you get someone out of jail".
And thats ofcourse true... but in this case its pretty damn sure that hes guilty to all that shit.

kiling him is way to easy he should be in prison for life getting soaps from the ground imo.

I couldn´t vote in this poll :(

I was thinking that death penalty would fit, but i´d rather see him recieve a much more painful death. Cut his arms and legs off at half and hang him by the balls in a christmas tree for a month or something...

Bush said that the iraqi ppl should decide Saddams fate Bad_Medic...

afaik the trial is going to be held in Iraq under Iraqi law, and that is why the death penalty is a distinct possibility.

I'm undecided if it is appropriate or not. I've always argue pro-dealth penalty in the past (only in extreme cases) and there are numberous reasons why it would be fitting here - saves a huge cost of keeping him in jail the rest of his life, prevents any terrorist attempts to break him out of jail, or likewise hostage taking to try and blackmail for his release. He obviously isnt going to be rehabilitated, so there is no real benefit in keeping him alive either.

But then it all seems to easy, he would probably chose death over a life in jail and why should we give him that? Also, if he is killed he may well gain Martyr status and it could actually increase his following as opposed to having a positive affect...

As I said, still undecided...

Spirit said:
he would probably chose death over a life in jail

This is interesting, cause i was surprised he didn´t bring a gun with him into that spider hole so he could blow his brains out as soon as he realized it was over.

If he was chosing death he would have done it allready.

TuT said:
This is interesting, cause i was surprised he didn´t bring a gun with him into that spider hole so he could blow his brains out as soon as he realized it was over.

Eh? He had two machine guns and a pistol in there with him. He gave himself up without a fight, which is why the Iraqis who supported him are so pissed off, after he told them to fight to the death.

If he is executed by the West he will undoubtedly become a martyr. If he is imprisoned he will be a permanent thorn in everyone's side and will be a symbol for the insurgents to fight for. I reckon he needs to be assassinated by a disillusioned member of his own party, or at least definitely tried by his own people. Spirit, where have you heard that it will definitly take place in Iraq?

I never thought deathpenalty was an option and i still dont think it is now. It would be an option for all the lazy ppl who just wanna get rid of him. I think its beter to lock him up forgood so other ppl will think again before performing crimes like that.

ye, at our level it's really hard to decide what should be done.

i'm not pro or agains't saddam.

but i still think that, what "bush" (he was not alone) did, in some way, is worse then what saddam did.
I don't know exactly how much kurds saddam killed, but hey,
how much palestinien for sharon
how much tchetchen for poutine
and how much iraqi did USA army killed during this war
i'm missing exemples, but they are numbers of them...

they call them self "civilized" but under that they are worse then worse despot

REVOLUTION... :p

The issue here is very simple imo:

1. Death penalty just risk making him a martyr
2. Lifetime in prison, imo, is a worse sentence than death
3. We are judged by our actions, if we say cold blooded murder is wrong, how do you justify an execution? Its the ultimate in cold calculated murder.
4. We shouldnt decide this, the us shouldn't decide this, and international court shouldn't decide this, the iragii people shold.

TuT said:
he didn´t bring a gun with him into that spider hole so he could blow his brains out as soon as he realized it was over.

regarding news papers he had a gun with him :/

tbh the death penalty is prolly the right choice even though i disagree with it

whilst he is still alive he will prolly be a bigger menace 2 the pple of iraq

also there are bound 2 be fanatics that will try 2 rescue him if not his family could prolly fund a rescue bid there is still a lot of money unaccounted 4

whilst he is alive and in prison this is always a possibility

if you saw the news lastnite he is still a highly influential person and well thought of outside of iraq where he funded terrorists mainly syria

he prolly will be thought of as a martyr by some but its choosing the lesser of the 2 evils in this case

But at the end of it all it should be up 2 the iraqie pple 2 decide after all they were his victims

pple will say he wont get a fair trial in iraq but just look at all the bad he has done

you reap what u sow

Hector said:
Eh? He had two machine guns and a pistol in there with him. He gave himself up without a fight, which is why the Iraqis who supported him are so pissed off, after he told them to fight to the death.

We were talking about death or not. Re-read...

fs Hector and bm. Get the point allready...............