Playstation 3 Appreciation Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

So you don't have a HDMI input?

Everything with HDMI input has HDCP.

I have DVI input on my monitor, so got a HDMI -> DVI, but my monitor doesn't support HDCP, wihch I had never heard of til I searched help forums last night :angry:
Was gonna buy the Z5500 speakers... but looks like i gotta buy a new monitor!!

lol! pwnt by sony!

They are the kings of incompatibility. Since I bought a sony MD player with a falsely advertised usb link, I never bought anything sony made. I did break my rule to buy my GF a cell this Xmas, but it doesn't really need compatibility. Even then it goes with sony-only mem cards. Damn nice phone though!

Ok, so I'm now sitting at uni with my beautiful PS3 hooked upto an even more beautiful samsung flatscreen, which appears to take over more than half of one wall (32") and rest comfortably knowing I made the right choice not getting a 360.

So down to games!

Got Fifa09, which I must agree is the best Fifa I've played and is miles better than PES, only downside, the games crashes if I try to do... anything, really.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, good fun, very pretty, but not all that engulfing, more enjoyable with multiplayer, and tbh, because its not typical track racing, it is rarely clear where you have to go, so I have to do a few races before I can race properly, knowing where to go!

Rainbow Six: Vegas, unbelievably bad. Game play isn't the best, graphics are mediocre at best, nothing encapsulating or new about it whatsoever. Going to pinch CoD4 off a guy over the road and see if thats as good as it was on PC.

Also want to get... GT5 if it ever comes out, Army of Two, NBAxx, Fallout 3 (expensivo!)

Controller charge is pretty impressive too.

I beg to differ!
I can't count the people on one hand, that I know, that agrees with it being the best fifa since fifa '98!

Much better than that PES rubbish, anyway.

I agree, Fifa is very beautiful, the game play is amazing, and it just kicks the crap out of all the PES games I've played. However. It does seem quite buggy! When loading my game freezes quite often, not sure why and when researching it, a lot of people have the same issue with unexplainable as well as unsolvable freezes during loading times. I've got 3 save game files, only one of which will open without crashing the game.

All being said, despite the hair tearing frustration, I still love it, and is my most played game, its just that much fun.

was holding the new slim line one about 3 weeks agow * coff * works in game shop, comes out soon init £249 i hear :)

I nearly bought the ps3 slim today. its only 299 euro with 2 games, lol. Finally I can do Uncharted and RE5 ! And gt5 soon.

But then I realized I still have a CRT television from the year 1980. Gotta replace that first. Any nice suggestions for a not too expensive (Full) HD television? must be at 30 "

299 euro's with 2 games? Where could you get that? I only see the slim version for 299 without any games

I nearly bought the ps3 slim today. its only 299 euro with 2 games, lol. Finally I can do Uncharted and RE5 ! And gt5 soon.

But then I realized I still have a CRT television from the year 1980. Gotta replace that first. Any nice suggestions for a not too expensive (Full) HD television? must be at 30 "

same here, but i gonna wait for the new oled/lcd tvs which are just 1cm thin and are much more efficent compared to current LCD/Plasma devices :)

So I'm now looking into to buy a PS3.

There are 2 choices.

1) Ps3 slim without games for €299
2) Ps3 'fat' with 2 games (uncharted + resistance) for €299

No idea what to get.
I heared the slim uses 33% less power (/care) but can overheat faster (?? only saw this on forums, no actual source found).
What do you guys suggest?

The slim got a 120gb hard drive and the fat one a 80gb (I also heared the 80gb got backwards compability with ps2 games?)

edit: just found out the europe 60gb version 'can' play ps2 games, not the 80gb one

slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim slim

why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why
if it only uses 33% less power and looks uglier.
I rather have 2 free games. Unless you can convince me.

takes less space, consumes less power, probably less noisy, bigger harddrive, newer (BIG ++!!!)

edit: current ps3's sold doesnt support ps2 games, only the first gen of 60gb does yeh but theyre not sold anymore in stores.

ps3slim.jpg

vs
sony-playstation3.jpg

+ you can put in your own harddrive (I know people who just bought a 500GB one).

So far i'm still leaning more towards the fat version

sneez, how do you like your girls? alittle bigger but with nice tits or slimmer with flat tits? :rofl:

The new slim version they could have fixed minor things that may have been a downside with the fat version, never heard of a PS3 overheating thou. On the blu-ray side we found some disturbing things at work, we made a disc that stutters on one scene, on all PS3's and all SONY blu-ray player models. Turns out their buffer reads exactly 50mbps and our disc peaked just over the allowed buffer, on ALL other blu-ray players it didnt stutter, not even the first poorly Samsung model, tells us just how SONY thinks about a blu-ray spec they created themselves :rofl: