Olympics!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Again, how can you prove it is more strain? Swimmers train at 98% usually having pulse rate at near 200. The amount of VO2 training involved is incredible. I really don't think you know much about swimming at all and you are just another of the biased athletics bunch.

Explain why there are more rounds in the sprints then? R1 - R2 - Semi Finals - Finals. Phelps has the rest because of the events he chooses. The actual gap between Heats - Semi-finals- final is 1 day. Yet more evidence you don't understand or know the schedules. Not every1 can race with 45 minutes rest hence the reason all but a few swimmers are only doing 1 or 2 events!

Why you think you do swimming as a sort of cool down? To remove lactic maybe? Because swimming actually uses EVERY muscle? Don't compare your "few laps after training" to a training session of swimmers please. It doesn't even come close.

1 stat for you. After warm ups and swim downs + races, Phelps will have swam close to 40 miles this week. I would go close to betting that there wont be many runners who even come close to that mark.

Also running or walking or any movement in upright position is normal to our physique, swimming isn't. Hence why you have swimming lessons, I don't believe the education system sets up running lessons, or have I missed those? Swimming is harder to perfect and watching when people totally tie up in a race is evidence it is fucking hard work. I've been there and done both and I know which I find easier to do.

A runner can't train at 98% - there's only so much energy a person has and that's too great of a risk for injury. Again, if you can train at 98% then it's probably not that hardcore.
Explain why there are more rounds in the sprints then? R1 - R2 - Semi Finals - Finals. Phelps has the rest because of the events he chooses. The actual gap between Heats - Semi-finals- final is 1 day. Yet more evidence you don't understand or know the schedules. Not every1 can race with 45 minutes rest hence the reason all but a few swimmers are only doing 1 or 2 events!
There's more rounds in EVERY sprint: mostly because more people enter those events. I never said everyone can race with 45 minutes rest, did I? It's a fuck of a lot easier than running though.

1 stat for you. After warm ups and swim downs + races, Phelps will have swam close to 40 miles this week. I would go close to betting that there wont be many runners who even come close to that mark.
Yes, a swimmer can do 40 miles in a week of competition because swimming isn't as much of a strain on the body. Thanks for proving my point. The only Olympic runners putting on that kind of distance are the guys doing the 10,000k and marathon events

Also running or walking or any movement in upright position is normal to our physique, swimming isn't. Hence why you have swimming lessons, I don't believe the education system sets up running lessons, or have I missed those? Swimming is harder to perfect and watching when people totally tie up in a race is evidence it is fucking hard work. I've been there and done both and I know which I find easier to do.

Actually, you have swimming lessons because humans aren't designed for water at all and we're used to breathing air, not an upright position or some bullshit like that. The education has swimming lessons so people don't drown and die. It's highly unlikely that someone could die from not running with proper form, they'd just tear some muscles. With swimming a person can actually drown, because our lungs aren't actually designed to breathe water. Hence the education system teaches people how to have enough common sense to tread water, not breathe a gaping mouthful of water should their boat crash, and basic skills that would potentially save their lives in a situation like that. Swimming itself takes developed skills, yes, but I think the actual art of perfection comes more from running. There's a lot of techniques and forms and tiny tiny subtle things that make things just right and can make an enormous difference. When I was running the 400m I found a way to take 1.6s my already strong time by making a small adjustment to my right hand - I'm not even exaggerating about that. I think swimming in general takes more technique to DO, but less to perfect. I could be wrong though.

Holy shit, look at that! Look how fast his legs are moving towards the end, they're almost a complete blur - amazing!!!

Swimming is less of a strain on the body because of buoyancy. When you run your vertebrae get compressed every step you take even if you use proper technique. When you swim you just get tired, there's no actual physical stress.

I don't see what the whole discussion is about anyway? Phelps is an awesome athlete, but the reason he's going to get his 8 medals is because the sport is especially suited to do so. Ever seen a judoka get 8 medals? or an archer? or a rowing team? No, because they just can't. The variety of disciplines allows for it: all you need is an excellent all-round athlete to step up to the challenge.

with all credit to the swedish team who played strong, but somehow they always screw it up.
I know that you hate german teams, but it's not them to blame if your team always throw it away.
They prolly need some mental training or summin. but tbh germany is the most successful women soccer nation (with USA), so it would have been strange, if sweden won it :P

Anyway, now the semi final is germany - brazil. This will be a difficult job.
It was the final in last years world cup and the first match of the olympic football tournament was between those two teams and ended 0-0.

Last edited:
I don't hate the German teams. I hate the fact that we will never be able to perform under high pressure.. like ze Germans!

:(

edit: we still have the tennis people left! woot
edit2: and also that 14 year old swimmer! woot again

look on the positive aspects. the girls in the swedish team were way hotter. :drool:
Sometimes i'm abit jealous of you when i se how hot swedish girls are :mad:

edit2: and also that 14 year old swimmer! woot again
china beat ya there. they have 10 years old gymnastics labeled as 13 :teehee:

look on the positive aspects. the girls in the swedish team were way hotter. :drool:

indeed, they didnt look like proper football players, more like dunno beachvolleyball players or cheerleaders

Swimming is less of a strain on the body because of buoyancy. When you run your vertebrae get compressed every step you take even if you use proper technique. When you swim you just get tired, there's no actual physical stress.

I don't see what the whole discussion is about anyway? Phelps is an awesome athlete, but the reason he's going to get his 8 medals is because the sport is especially suited to do so. Ever seen a judoka get 8 medals? or an archer? or a rowing team? No, because they just can't. The variety of disciplines allows for it: all you need is an excellent all-round athlete to step up to the challenge.
Menace is stating some important facts indeed. During my med school me and some mates did some minors at the Faculty of Human Movement Sciences. We did research on physical stress and compared a couple of sports with eachother. Even though the research may not have been complete enough, it was crystal clear that swimming is a very body-friendly sport. This is mainly due to your body being almost completely in the same atmosphere as the outside world (water). During a literature study, it became even more clear that swimming is a body friendly sport. Thats why doctors and physical therapists usually prescribe swimming lessons (or other practices in a water environment) to patients attending (neuro)muscular reeducation (i'm sure hundrets of studies covering this subject can be found on PubMed).

So far physical stress. The amound of calories (energy) used is a different story. In swimming, skill and technique significantly impact energy expenditure. Most people know how to run and ride a bike , but it takes years of practice to be able to swim properly. Therefore, someone who is very inefficient in the water may be burning more calories per minute than someone who has beautiful technique. Anyway, lets say we observe two well trained athletes (Phelps and Johnson). I would say that swimming burns more calories than running, mostly because more muscle groups are involved in swimming. But one shouldn't conclude that burning calories is the only thing that makes a sport intense. Its a combination of environment, physical stress, cardiovascular stress, etc. Running is a hard combination involving all of such factors, while swimming is under bodyfriendly circumstances. The best combination for your body would be to run and swim a couple of days in the week, so both legs and arms are well developed ;)

Even though swimming is suited to get a lot of medals, Phelps is an athlete, well trained, and does amazing stuff.

Last edited:

china beat ya there. they have 10 years old gymnastics labeled as 13 :teehee:

No, they're 8 year olds labelled 16. Get your fact straight :mad:

indeed, they didnt look like proper football players, more like dunno beachvolleyball players or cheerleaders

Don't compare beach volleyball with cheerleading...
454835777mblyihfsge0.jpg
< Beach volleyballers are actually athletes... some of whom are in their 30's and look like they're in their 20's.

Cheerleader-40.jpg
< Cheerleaders are actually bimbo's... most of whom are in their 20's/30's and look like they're in their 40's.

:lol:

I watched some of the women's football last night.. thought the brazilian team looked quite good as well as ze germans and I think it was the USA.. there's a couple of the brazilians who looked awesome tho, think one was Daniella.. and one called Marta? - Think those 2 names ring a bell from the women's world cup actually. Quite enjoyed those games :D When does the beach volleyball start anyway? :naughty:

:lol:

I watched some of the women's football last night.. thought the brazilian team looked quite good as well as ze germans and I think it was the USA.. there's a couple of the brazilians who looked awesome tho, think one was Daniella.. and one called Marta? - Think those 2 names ring a bell from the women's world cup actually. Quite enjoyed those games :D When does the beach volleyball start anyway? :naughty:

Beach volleyball started... it's almost over I think. Shameful.

I actually watched USA women's football vs Canada and I shit my pants. Didn't know Americans could play football. They actually had a pretty brilliantly executed goal. I also saw a bit of Brazil vs Norway which was pretty good too.

Menace is stating some important facts indeed. During my med school me and some mates did some minors at the Faculty of Human Movement Sciences. We did research on physical stress and compared a couple of sports with eachother. Even though the research may not have been complete enough, it was crystal clear that swimming is a very body-friendly sport. This is mainly due to your body being almost completely in the same atmosphere as the outside world (water). During a literature study, it became even more clear that swimming is a body friendly sport. Thats why doctors and physical therapists usually prescribe swimming lessons (or other practices in a water environment) to patients attending (neuro)muscular reeducation (i'm sure hundrets of studies covering this subject can be found on PubMed).

So far physical stress. The amound of calories (energy) used is a different story. In swimming, skill and technique significantly impact energy expenditure. Most people know how to run and ride a bike , but it takes years of practice to be able to swim properly. Therefore, someone who is very inefficient in the water may be burning more calories per minute than someone who has beautiful technique. Anyway, lets say we observe two well trained athletes (Phelps and Johnson). I would say that swimming burns more calories than running, mostly because more muscle groups are involved in swimming. But one shouldn't conclude that burning calories is the only thing that makes a sport intense. Its a combination of environment, physical stress, cardiovascular stress, etc. Running is a hard combination involving all of such factors, while swimming is under bodyfriendly circumstances. The best combination for your body would be to run and swim a couple of days in the week, so both legs and arms are well developed ;)

Even though swimming is suited to get a lot of medals, Phelps is an athlete, well trained, and does amazing stuff.

THANKYOU DOC

Beach volleyball started... it's almost over I think. Shameful.

I actually watched USA women's football vs Canada and I shit my pants. Didn't know Americans could play football. They actually had a pretty brilliantly executed goal. I also saw a bit of Brazil vs Norway which was pretty good too.
The US women football team is actually very good. they are ranked number 1 in the Fifa world ranking (although that is also caused due the usual bad north & middle american football nations they have to play against)