Gay Marriage

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Lex_Mortis said:
Im beginning to think that the so called "land of freedom" is the country where there is no freedom at all.
The so called land of freedom was founded by the religious pilgrim fathers and therefor you can find many religious habbits in the USA. Just read out whats written on a quarter dollar: In god we trust. :P

Want to be homo, fine, but leave the church, and preferably everyone else, out of it.

errr..

Nobody chooses to be Homosexual, any more than they choose to have brown skin or blue eyes.

And there's the point right there - the position on gay marriage is no less disgusting than a law saying that blacks and whites cannot marry because of someone else's prejudice.

Here's a wee thought experiment for you:

Mark and Ashley met at college and started dating. After a year they moved in together and were very much in love. When they get up in the morning, Ashley usually cooks breakfast, and Mark heads off to work. Ashley works part time, and is usually at home when Mark gets back from work - they'll sit in at nights, watch some TV, have a kiss and cuddle on the couch and head off to bed. They decide to get married, and have a registry office wedding and a huge party for their friends and family, then a wonderful honeymoon. They settle down into married life, are good neighbours and friends.

Ashley is involved in an accident at work, so the office calls Mark, who rushes to the hospital, where he is told that an operation is needed. Wanting the best for his lover, and having discussed it previously, Mark is able to give the doctors the permission they need, and waits by Ashley's bedside. Mark calls Ashley's parents, who come visit. When Ashley is allowed home, Mark takes some time off work to help out, and they use Mark's medical insurance to help them through things.

Sounds fine? normal domestic life? Okay, here's another version:

Mark and Ashley met at college and started dating. After a year they moved in together and were very much in love. When they get up in the morning, Ashley usually cooks breakfast, and Mark heads off to work. Ashley works part time, and is usually at home when Mark gets back from work - they'll sit in at nights, watch some TV, have a kiss and cuddle on the couch and head off to bed. They decide to get married, but are not allowed to have a registry office wedding, so instead they exchange vows and throw a huge party for their friends and family, then have a wonderful honeymoon. They settle down into married life (although not legally) and are good neighbours and friends.

Ashley is involved in an accident at work. The office doesn't do anything, but one of Ashley's friends calls Mark, who rushes to the hospital. Despite being in tears and terrified for his Lover, the Doctors won't speak to him. He shows his driver's licence, and photos of them together to prove that he's Ashley's next of kin. Grudgingly, he's allowed in to the hospital. Ashley needs an operation, but consent is needed. The doctors try to contact Ashley's parents, except they won't take the call, as they have disowned him. Mark is powerless to help. Eventually, Ashley's parents are convinced how serious things are, and travel to the hospital. When they arrive, Mark is pushed to one side, and not informed of Ashley's progress. Ashley's parents give the doctors the permission they need, and head home. When Ashley is allowed home, Mark wants to takes some time off work to help out, but the company only allows compassionate leave for married couples. He takes some holidays and try to use Mark's medical insurance to help them through things - except Mark's insurance won't pay out because Ashley isn't married to him.

And the only difference is? the second couple are gay, and therefore discriminated against throughout their whole lives. Can you explain to me why religious *bastards* are allowed to inflict this sort of misery, because THEY are too prejudiced to just let people live their lives in peace?

Yep same from me Wintermute - way to clarify it :D

our laws do require religious backing - the House of Lords has 26 seats filled with CoE Bishops

Feck, I didn't know this. Well that's fucked up innit...

like winter said, you don't choose to be gay...

i don't care what you are or how you think, aslong as it doesn't bother other people you should do what you like

so if you want to marry someone from the same sex, go ahead, it won't hurt you nor it won't me

you don't wanna know how harsh it will be when you can't marry the one of your life, just because "it's not done"
because that's the whole thinking behind it
the population of a culture say it's not done, based on the word of god, and that's the only reason why a man+a man may not marry? :o

Reactions: Wintermute
so u 2 are just having a go at religion?

because i just say no again against gay marriage and find a different thing like a contract or sth, u2 are just dragging stuff into this like hospital bollox, and how religeos people rule the world with their rules.

so im religeos, and that makes me a bastard, like i give a fuck, all im sayin is that im respecting ur opinion and please respect mine.
im not having a go at people who arent religious.

in all fairness indeed ur example is true, thats wrong, but i cant imagine that stuff happening here in holland....because ive been in such a situation and they just let me through and be with me gf at that time.
so in all fairness please stop having a go at the church and their rules because it's only so in ur country, plus respect the choices religious people make thats all i wanna say here because it's not about gay marriage anymore in this topic but just "lets all have a go at religious people" because..ur just calling them bastards and everything

I started this thread with the Declaration of Human Rights reference that enforces anyones right to practice their religion.

I respect that.

I refuse to practice someone elses religion and thats the problem. There is no reason for banning gay marriage, civil partnerships - whatever you want to phrase it as - other than it isnt practiced in some religions. Thats the problem.

People carrying out civil marriages has nothing to do with religion, yet religion is trying to prevent it.

I wouldnt deny anyone the right to go to church/synagogue/mosque whatever, but when some of those that do want to restrict MY rights to do something that is of no concern of theirs for no other reason than it is something that they dont want to do is when I get pissed off.

I can, have had, and will continue to, have repeated "goes" at religion in general, this isnt one.

This is me complaining bitterly about my rights being taken away because I dont subscribe to a particular set of beliefs. Holland may well have gay marriage and if thats the case, I am very glad - nobody has mentioned it so far in this thread. I am however, complaining about the UK, and the US in particular.

Its about tolerance and acceptance.

JACKEL.RC said:
Because i just say no again against gay marriage and find a different thing like a contract or sth, u2 are just dragging stuff into this like hospital bollox, and how religeos people rule the world with their rules.

here's a better idea. How about the religious wedding ceremony is just called a "blessing".

Marriage is what happens when two people love each other and want to make the commitment. If you are religious, you get a church wedding. If you are not, then you have a state wedding.

it is perfectly okay for someone in a church to say "No Gay Marriage IN OUR CHURCH", it's another thing entirely for them to say "no gay marriage in the registry office".

JACKEL.RC said:
so im religeos, and that makes me a bastard, like i give a fuck, all im sayin is that im respecting ur opinion and please respect mine.

No, being religious doesn't make you a bastard.

Wishing to force laws on other people because of religion...? That's a different thing, and THAT is what I am talking about.

JACKEL.RC said:
in all fairness indeed ur example is true, thats wrong, but i cant imagine that stuff happening here in holland....

no, it wouldn't. Holland has a very open society and is an excellent example of how these laws can be made to work.

Unfortunately, the Example that I gave is EXACTLY the situation for many people throughout Europe, and certainly in the UK. :(

JACKEL.RC said:
So in all fairness please stop having a go at the church and their rules

No. Never. The Church is EVIL. It's Rules are EVIL.

In my opinion, Religion is a disease, a mental illness, a Cancer of the Mind. I hope I live to see the day when religion is dead and gone forever. Now THAT would be a great place to live.

Thankfully, I have the freedom to express my opinion, and I intend to do so. :D

Wintermute said:
No. Never. The Church is EVIL. It's Rules are EVIL.

In my opinion, Religion is a disease, a mental illness, a Cancer of the Mind. I hope I live to see the day when religion is dead and gone forever. Now THAT would be a great place to live.

Thankfully, I have the freedom to express my opinion, and I intend to do so. :D

ok i can respect ur opinion about the churche's rules, but the church gave people 10 rules.
and i live by these 10 rules, and if not imo the end of the world would be there.
for example or not allowed to kill people, (extreme example) , or respect eachother and those rules.

i see it more of a guideline, ive met girls and i know a certain girl who is quite extreme in the whole religious thing.
she also want other people to turn into the whole believe thing, and if not she goes on stronger and stronger.
because in her on words " the end of days is coming and i wanna save as much people as i can"
i think thats v nobel ofcourse but also a bit extreme, i think u should respect eachother and eachother way of live.

to get back on topic with the gay marriage thing i see it like this.
u were born gay, i totaly agree with that it shouldnt be anybody's fault or how ever u wanna put it that u dont feel affection to the other sex.
the bible ( i cant speak for other religions) says that the marriage is made for male and female as a symbol of their love but more important to have sex and get children ( dunno the correct word for it)
to come back on that i say no to gay marriage because i dont feel like it will be a marriage but as i said before i dont see any harm or what so ever in them getting a contract or sum sort of other bonding to solve problems like the example u gave earlier.

so yes im a christian, i live by the rules god gave and i have a err "relationship"/bond or what ever u wanna call it with god.
but that doesnt make a bad person or what so or that im infected by a disease it's my way of living this live i was given.
i respect ur opinion and ur way of life so please choose ur words a bit carefully, because comparing religioun with cancer is too far imo

Reactions: Bossk
The thing is, someoen doesn't have to be religious to be a homophobe. So even if religion was taken totally out of the equation, you'd still have to face all the bigots who are just against homosexuality because it makes them feel sick.

Ive no problem with gays if they wanna get married fine and the law should recognise that

but just to expand the conversation

say you have a child with you and you see two men / women snogging

what are your fellings on that ?

i personally would try to shield the child from that

that is moral descision and not because of homophobia

or is it ?

Maybe this is why homophobia persists then. I'd explain to my child that it was perfectly normal and tell them how it's natural for two people to love each other. If they get the idea that one thing is right and the other is wrong, that's just bigotry in the making.

JACKEL.RC said:
ok i can respect ur opinion about the churche's rules, but the church gave people 10 rules.
and i live by these 10 rules, and if not imo the end of the world would be there.
for example or not allowed to kill people, (extreme example) , or respect eachother and those rules.

Please explain "The Burning Times" to me:
In 14th ~18th century non-christians (wiccans/pagans/druids/etc) got burned/hanged/etc, killing between 50.000 and 10.000 people.

So much for the "no killing" commandment..

Phew...heavy disscusion. I personally have no problems with gay ppl. Gay marrage should be allowed everywhere, even if it's just that couples get the tax advantge.

The only thing that pisses me of is the promiscuity of some homosexual men. They can't get enough sex in thier own home, so the go to "meeting places" . These are mostly ( as far as I know :p:) in remote places. But when my dog was alive I walked alot in the countryside and sometimes you walked thru one of these areas. Here I agree with DB..that these sort of things anit good for the kiddies..well it anit good for me either...Jezzzz

Gay..ok, but be descreet ffs

Reactions: CeCe
Imo marriage is totally obsolete. It's pointless, except for the party :naughty:

On topic :I personally think: what's next?(Not quite as Jackel said, but why not :hm:)

Homosexual wanna have children, they can get married, why can't they get children then?

Ok put this: Do you think it's OK to raise adopted children in a gay family, wouldn't that be against any educational principles?
In Belgium lesbs and gays can actually do this :shake:

Very cool for the kid at school :(
Maybe those kids even think it's crazy to be heterosexual ffs.

Homosexual=ok
Homosexual+adoptive children=NOOOOOOOOOOOO

and let's, for the occasion use the smiley : :gay:

/cba to write this correctly, any questions pm me

hard to believe how some of u here think, pretty much racism in my eyes, saying that (this is how I experience it anyway) gay people have no right whatsoever ESPECIALLY not marriage, why can't it be for them as well lol? It's not because u don't think much of marriage, that they do as well. Them having children is ant entirely other topic tbh icedragon, but I can't see any point at all why ppl would stop gay people from being happy, if marriage is what makes them happy. (and going 'what's next' , is pretty much saying that they shouldn't have ANY rights at all, cuz OH MY GOD WHAT IF THEN THEY GET ANOTHER RIGHT THAT WE ALL HAVE?! THEY CAN'T HAVE IT !! NEVAH!!!!!)

Reactions: Wintermute
HUEY said:
Phew...heavy disscusion. I personally have no problems with gay ppl. Gay marrage should be allowed everywhere, even if it's just that couples get the tax advantge.

The only thing that pisses me of is the promiscuity of some homosexual men. They can't get enough sex in thier own home, so the go to "meeting places" . These are mostly ( as far as I know :p:) in remote places. But when my dog was alive I walked alot in the countryside and sometimes you walked thru one of these areas. Here I agree with DB..that these sort of things anit good for the kiddies..well it anit good for me either...Jezzzz

Gay..ok, but be descreet ffs

sigh, how can u say that like it's something every gay person does lol, there are enough hetero-sexual people htat kick on having sex in public places, or even worse obscene stuff, so wtf does htat have to do with gay ppl?

Ðeadßoy said:
Ive no problem with gays if they wanna get married fine and the law should recognise that

but just to expand the conversation

say you have a child with you and you see two men / women snogging

what are your fellings on that ?

that is moral descision and not because of homophobia

or is it ?

if gay ppl would have been recognised in the past, perhaps today we would find that perfectly normal...

(btw sorry for 3 posts, should probably first read next time :nod: )