Freedom of Speech

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Jay

Aug 27, 2002
So how far do you feel people should be allowed freedom of speech. Should it be anything can be said???

Do you feel that the press gives us all of the information, or the information that they want us to know?

All the information can't be free.. ...there is some people who can't handle some information. Opinions, religions.. harmless stuff (in my opinion, no pun intended there), but there is some information that is harmful to even in it's own existence.

Take the h-bomb, wanna share the knowledge with Saddam, or even with some loony on power? I wouldn't.

I love this topic, simply because it shows up the inequalities in life. You are allowed to say what you wish as long as it doesnt disgruntle the management. You are allowed to say what you wish as long as it doesnt offend the 'in crowd'

We are fed an almost intolerable amount of drivel in the press about things that simply arent important while the important things go on inside, unnoticed.

I just lost a bet with myself :crap:

I bet myself this topic would appear within 1 hour of Richy closing the Bali Bomb thread.

Didn't think it take as long as 3 :arsemiss:

No what this thread shows is that like governments in power they spout that you can say what you like as long as you follow the rules, then change the goal posts. Like the Bali thread where no forum rule was broken, but one of the MoDs got a bee in his bonnet and closed it. Abuse of power but thats tough. All its done is degrade the value of these forums.

As for sharing information, if you want the details on a H Bomb go to London, to the British Records office. There you will find a detailed scale drawing of a H Bomb along with component sizes and types of materials used. It also includes the dimensions of the 32 chamber implosion section. Thats the hard bit btw. apparently only 2 mathematicians have ever worked out how it works, both American. Everyone else has stolen the design apparently......

i would just like to say that the locking of the bali thread is one of the most dumbass things ive ever seen a moderator do in these forums (and to be frank theres many to choose from). i was particularly suprised in this case as the guy in question has always shown a sensible balanced viewpoint in the past from what ive seen, but now hes just made himself look like a bell end....

now im quite aware that that is a little offensive, but to be fair i dont give a monkeys as i find restricting that discussion in a forum devoted to discussing political and social issues is downright farcical. go ahead and ban me mate, i dont give a fuck, but dont go thinking that your opinion is anything special just because you are a moderator....

Originally posted by Gen76
Personaly i couldnt give a toss about rules, i say what i want and only force will stop me.

Fair play to that....

They have the power u dont, which also means they have to make decisions on what goes and what doesnt in respect to the bandwidth\hdd suplyers want.

Point taken, but in this case its an abuse of power and if it represents the opinion of the 'bandwidth\hdd suplyers' then we should be questioning them too....

And its much easier to gripe about powerabuse than it is to actually weild it.

Also true, but with such a post comes responsibility, and if ppl arent prepared to accept that then they shouldnt take the position...

btw (not aimed at gen this bit) if this should lead to the old utassault.net chestnut of 'its our league/forum and we can run it how we like' (thats not a direct quote for any pedants preparing to jump on keyboards), then I beg of you to save your breath.... I appreciate that may be true but its very tedious....

but with such a post comes responsibility

as a users of the forums you have a responsability to the rest of the forum users aswell
the reason the forum has Mods is because some forum useres are unable to use the forums resposably, our job is to edit, move, remove threads that are deamed unappropriate, offencive, missplaced etc

the thread was found offencive

the response from the 2 main posters was "tough if people find it offencive"

that is unacceptable so it was closed.

RE:

Look its like this,

You can post and say things within reason if you cross the line its your fault not ours, you know the boundries. There is more than one way to skin a cat, the way some of say things is also an issue,

would you say "mum mum i just fingered my bird look my finger smells all fishy"

No you wouldn't (shut it gen76 before you start :P)

You are not the only users here and you must remember not everyone is as old or as "wise" as you are, and the fact that you are offending people sometimes on purpose and not just in conversation is basically not on.

Last edited:
Re: RE:

Originally posted by Mogul of Pain
would you say "mum mum i just fingered my bird look my finger smells all fishy"
Can i call on a Moderator to close this thread cos i find remarks such as this deeply offensive....plus it'll confuse all the little kiddies that browse this forum and we cant allow that kinda behaviour to corrupt their pure little minds.

well I've read through the mentioned thread and tbh I cant see any offensive point in the other thread?
Ive read that "smacking your children" (or something) thread... now if I say I as a child/underaged person find it offensive that some people consider smacking their children a good thing to teach their child proper manners, would you lock the thread?

Right, listen the fuck up..

This and every other forum hosted by utassault.net has no freedom of speech - it does not exist.

This forum is to DISCUSS issues which are of a political and social nature. Speculating that the US blew up many Australians, Brits and other human beings is to be honest a very delicate matter and is OBVIOUSLY going to piss the people off who live in the US and have respect for their own country. I read the thread when it was first posted and thought... "troll". This thread has been posted by DT to provoke a reaction - which it has.

If you find the moderation of this forum wrong, then I suggest that you leave the forums altogether. It's your choice. Do not complain about threads being closed, moved, moderated, censored etc, as you already agreed that Optical (and any other moderator or admin) could do such a thing when you signed up.

It's that simple. :\

I do admire the clarity of that post despite the issues I have with it. Do your utmost to forgive me for mumbling 'cobblers' as i depart......

What was the point in having the forums rules then? Wh not just have these rules.

1. The moderators of these forums will close all topics they decide too.

2. As rule 1

3. As rule 1

Much easier than telling people you are not allowed to do x y & z then close threads when they do w!!

So we now know as long as we keep the topics to things that the mods agree with we are sorted, otherwise you are doomed.

I suppose then for fear of upsetting our Americans patrons we darent mention the gulf war!

I tend to agree with grizz and TT here, was thinking about posting sommat similar to their posts earlier already.
so you could write all rules as "Mod is God (in his forum) , if you dont like that its your prob." darn shame that the UTA forums have became this bad recently :\
to end this post, this fits in pretty well:
Do your utmost to forgive me for mumbling 'cobblers' as i depart......

edit: I happen to have read the current forum rules, and it says
# Accept other peoples opinions just as you would wish for them to accept your own. Personal taunts/attacks/imaturity will not be tolerated.
# Use FACT: or OPINION: to clearly define what you are posting. If you are posting anything which you deam as a fact it should be backed up with evidence obtained from other websites. If you do not provide evidence or further independant reading for anything you declare as a fact you are undermining the authenticity of your statement.
Do I understand right that if Draize had put "OPIONION:" in front of his post , the thread wouldnt have been closed because, according to the rules, we would have to accept his Opinion?

Last edited: