Capital Punishment Review?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

DraizeTrain

UT's Official Corrie Street Aficionado
Jun 8, 2001
Internal Exile
With the breaking news in the UK this morning that two people have been arrested on suspicion of the murders of missing schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, do ppl think that the capital punishment issue of the UK & indeed the whole of Europe, taking into account the advances in forensic sciences, should be reviewed?

Hang on Phear? Isn't what you've said contradictory?

Isn't capital punishment the death sentence?

As right now in the UK we have no death penalty? So when DT says should it be reveiwed, he means changed in some way right?

But you've said Hell no, an eye for an aye, which to me means yes they should die, but you said no?

:confused:

Murderer's, rapists etc should either be put to death, or serve life imprisonment.

(Also, life imprisonment should be for Life, not 20 years or something and then let out because it breaches European Human Right's Law's)

Last edited:
Ahh, got ya :)

We shoud just find a desert island somewhere and stick all the rapists, child molesters (sp?), real nasty peeps on that island.

Then let the RAF uses the island to practice carpet bombing.

Last edited:
You people talk bollocks.
What a fantastic Sun reader mentality:/

Death should never be an option.
Many innocent people in our prison system -- if there was a death penalty there would be many innocent people hung or chemically murdered.

"Well BB that could be your kid that was murdered"

Yeah it could - but it could be you with your neck snapped and shit in your pants for something you haven't done.

Not even a consideration DT. I hope you were playing Devils advocate.

Ur not reading what i posted are u? I worded it very carefully...pls take note of the `taking into account the advances in forensic sciences'...and i didnt say my particular stance on this issue before u all start shouting at me...im simply asking the question.

Doesnt matter about advances in sciences... its rarely 100% proven that someone did it (unless theyre on video or whatever), confessions can be forced/made up by some nutta.... Capital Punishment is wrong full stop... also locking people up for the rest of their life (rather than parrol after xx many years) is wrong imo, people can change/correct themselves after mistakes, i mean ffs, 20 years in prison is gonna stop someone from killin someone again unless theyre retarded (ie a psychopath)

Originally posted by Uzi-Suicide
Doesnt matter about advances in sciences... its rarely 100% proven that someone did it (unless theyre on video or whatever), confessions can be forced/made up by some nutta.... Capital Punishment is wrong full stop... also locking people up for the rest of their life (rather than parrol after xx many years) is wrong imo, people can change/correct themselves after mistakes, i mean ffs, 20 years in prison is gonna stop someone from killin someone again unless theyre retarded (ie a psychopath)

He said forensic science, ie semen, blood etc
DNA tests are very accurate.
Raping and murdering some1 is pretty damn stupid coz most rape victims don't repor it anyway or have a shower straight afterwoulds and erase all evidence.
And rapists don't exactly use condoms.
Same with hair as well, not amny men save their bush, heh

In EVERY case you rely on a humans in the collection and analysis of evidence, then in then again in the process of conviction or aquital.

Humans can and always will make mistakes, and not 1 person deserves to die because of the mistake of 1 or even 100 people.

Doesnt matter about advances in sciences
Ever heard of DNA? Scientific methods of detection are becoming more accurate all the time. How u can say that new technologies dont matter is staggering.

its rarely 100% proven that someone did it
Yes but the point is in increasing numbers it is being proven 100% due to the improvements in forensics.

confessions can be forced/made up by some nutta
Things have moved on a bit from this. Ppl dont get convicted for very serious crimes on confessional evidence alone.

Originally posted by BBStr@nge
if there was a death penalty there would be many innocent people hung or chemically murdered.
This was the bit i was referring to BB when i said u didnt read my post properly. With the advances in technologies, for certain cases anyway, the chances of `innocents' getting `done' would be erradicated. Basically ur just against capital punishment, however accurate the detection process maybe/would become...and thats fair enough imo. I just find it annoying that the old `what about the innocents?' line gets dragged up everytime when infact this issue is getting less relevent with each passing year.

I'm with the nays for the reasons already posted.

It's not 100%. Not even going into the scientific process, you don't know when fingerprints was made, blood could have been artificially introduced to the scene, etc... People lie. Say a woman cries rape?

Who knows what sort of types of evidence we might not know of at the moment and discover in 10-15 years time bringing doubt to these people u want to die under capital punishment.

What kind of Justice would there be in a system which could put to death even one innocent person. Its bad enough having innocent people in prison - lets sort that out first.

There have been two test cases in the USA, brought against the FBI.
Both of these cases have PROVED that Fingerprinting is innacurate.
Got to go to work now-but will have a look for the details of these cases and post back. I do remember seeing that one poor bastard got the death penalty-for arson and murder I believe, and they found out that the prints could not have possibly belonged to him.

Thing is DT m8 as with the tabloids u use (in this case the murder of the two girls from Soam) the most immotive of instances to prove a point. Of course if someone-God forbid-ever hurt my son, I would want to kill them. Does not make it right though.

The death penalty is carried out in the States in America that are governed by right wing, banjo playing, self righteous bigots.
What a scary thought to think those people in this country that share those similar right-wing views, would be allowed to decree wether someone lives or not.

No man has the right to decide if another should live or die.
Regardless of circumstances.
12 men and women, good and true? They don't exist.

Originally posted by DraizeTrain

I just find it annoying that the old `what about the innocents?' line gets dragged up everytime when infact this issue is getting less relevent with each passing year.

Its always relevant. Who decides whether someone lives or dies?
The media? The dumb populace?
There are many more dangerous people in this world than rapists,child molesters and murderers.
Thing is they hide behind positions of power.
When would you stop murdering others to right a wrong?

Could you pull the lever?
Could you inject the chemical?
Are you God?

Anyone who tries to support the death penalty has a staggering lack of comprehension of its wider consequences and as such devoid of compassion that they can't consider themselves civilised.

Anyone who tries to support the death penalty has a staggering lack of comprehension of its wider consequences and as such devoid of compassion that they can't consider themselves civilised.

Neither are the people that convict the cold act's of murder and like either. I wouldn't say they were civilised either.

At the end of the day, if it can be proven 100% that person a murdered person b in cold blood then why shouldn't they die?