Capital Punishment in Nigeria

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

hm... well this issue is really hard to deal with
we shouldnt step in and tell them what to do...
we dont have a right to do so imo who tells us that they aint right but we r? this is a damn good reason to hate the western society - its arrogance
its not only about their religion but culture also
their laws r based on their belief... so what?
just its not like that in other parts of the world doesnt mean its necessarily better imo

I was about to post, but Dave has said what I wanted to :)

Basic Human Rights should come above everything else. I apologise if that offends anyone, but I can see no case in where it should not be so. Especially as it includes the right to practice your religion without persecution.

Its not about Western Society or anything like that, it is about the right to life.

Originally posted by Spirit
This has got nothing to do with religion, culture, countries etc. It is to do with basic human rights.

unfortunately, it does.

And fundamentally, we do not (as people or as a state) have the moral or social will to intervene in these situations.

When it all comes down to it, this is all because uneducated people have an imaginary best friend.

And when there are still millions of deluded people right here in the UK, waving their hands and singing hallelujah to a god who DOES NOT EXIST it's a bit ripe to sart telling these people that they are wrong.

Religion.

Bound to give humanity of the future a head-shaking-in-disbelief laugh. Shame we have to live through the sick joke ourselves.

Originally posted by Wintermute
And when there are still millions of deluded people right here in the UK, waving their hands and singing hallelujah to a god who DOES NOT EXIST it's a bit ripe to sart telling these people that they are wrong.

Religion.

Bound to give humanity of the future a head-shaking-in-disbelief laugh. Shame we have to live through the sick joke ourselves.

Similar comparison, however one big difference - waving your hands in the air and praising a god who doesnt exist is your choice, its your right to have the freedom to do whatever you floats your boat, it doesnt harm anyone else and however funny we think it is, if thats what makes em happy then fine.

However, stoning someone to death for excersing one of their fundamental human rights to have consenting sex with a person of their choice who is able to make their own mind up is completely different. Its oppressive, cruel, inhumane and completely unneccesary - what is wrong with having sex with a person you love, just cos a contract hasn't been signed between the two ppl first? It doesnt cause anyone any harm at all.

Originally posted by Mughi
I was about to post, but Dave has said what I wanted to :)

Basic Human Rights should come above everything else. I apologise if that offends anyone, but I can see no case in where it should not be so. Especially as it includes the right to practice your religion without persecution.

Its not about Western Society or anything like that, it is about the right to life.

well other societies dont accept the humans rights as they r right now made up by western standards
would u accept that if u grew up in the nigarian society?
i know u cant answer that question... u wont know any "better"/different
just imagine u would have

Originally posted by Wintermute

Religion.

Wint - Have u listened to George Carlin's `HBO Special' show? He does a section on Religion, very funny indeed :D

Rights are not made up by western society (well, some are, but its just the basic obviouse ones we are talking about here).

There is only one right that you really need to consider here:

A person has the right to live their life without being caused harm or unhappiness by other people.
A person does not have the right to inflict harm or unhappiness on another people.

Or to simplify even further: Live and let live

That's it. Thats all you need to consider. Sod the 10 commandments, if everyone stuck to that one simple guide then this world would be a better place.

Last edited:
This topic should centre around the The individuals human rights.
Its not about religion, the oppresive west or any of those smokescreens. She fancied a bit of spare. She knew what the consequences were did she? SO!

Amnesty International have stated that in certain South American countries, rape with trained dogs has been used as a punishment for women who have commited adultery.

I dare anyone to defend that practice.

And I would imagine that had it been a man that was caught dipping his wick, that a punishment does not even exist.

Rights are not made up by western society (well, some are, but its just the basic obviouse ones we are talking about here).

There is only one right that you really need to consider here:

A person has the right to live their life without being caused harm or unhappiness by other people.
A person does not have the right to inflict harm or unhappiness on another people.

Or to simplify even further: Live and let live

That's it. Thats all you need to consider. Sod the 10 commandments, if everyone stuck to that one simple guide then this world would be a better place.

yeah but it doesnt make a difference if its not accepted in society
smoking harms passive smokers also - to which extent is up to u to decide
well yeah and some ppl dont like to go to school or pay taxes etc... makes them "unhappy" but still its necessary and accepted in this society
i know this isnt quite a comparison but i hope i can get my point across ;)

Last edited:
Again for the South American countries the simple answer is that if you don't want to face the consequences then don't do it in the first place. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

So how about enland adopt that stance too. How about we say anyone who smokes will be stoned to death? Happy with that?

I understand that is the case, but the point is, it shouldnt be because that is a breach of fundamental human rights.

Originally posted by BBStr@nge
This topic should centre around the The individuals human rights.
Its not about religion, the oppresive west or any of those smokescreens.
Ur right m8, `should' being the key word...but its ok for us to shout about human rights cos because our societies have broken free from oppressive religion based cultures but large regions of the World are unfortunately still in its iron grip. `Religion' is actually the opposite to `human rights' imo.

Religion is always used as a tool to manipulate, suppress & control people...and im afraid theres nothing we can do to speed up its erradication in the parts of the World wheres its rife. We just have to let it run its course...and hope it doesnt destroy the World as we know it before it gets there.

I'm not being unfeeling and I don't agree with it but if that's the way it is I'm just saying that the simple solution is not to put yourself in that position in the first place.

So how about enland adopt that stance too. How about we say anyone who smokes will be stoned to death? Happy with that?

no it doesnt make me happy
did i say something like that?
all i intended to say was that different societies have a different point of view on things
different cultures = different values/customs
just stepping in would destroy a lot...
like the european settlers in america they felt superior over the indians and almost destroyed that great culture over time
to make a point here:
esp europeans made countless mistakes through history religion/culture/war/imperialism
all this stuff taught us to do better i hope but others probably have to get their own experiences
they have to achieve their own solutions otherwise they wont accept it
imo it would do more harm to step in
try to tell a little child that something it does is wrong if u hit it the child would probably do what u want but it wouldnt accept it but the opposite
does the US do anything about the fact that its economy is exploiting the latin america?

Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Article 3.
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Article 25
(2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

Nigeria joined the UN in 7th Oct 1960, after the declaration, but there were many "non-western" countries part of the UN before that date who will have taken part in the discussions.

if they are part of the UN then they should follow the rules of the un the woman should be free and those that imprisoned her should be brought on trail for false imprisonment