Capital Punishment in Nigeria

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Shocking :o

Somehow I don't think thats something the death penalty should apply to, and even if it did it shouldn't be conducted in such a cruel and painful way :\

Sometimes i really really struggle to except that the human race is indeed 1 race.

Can any1 remember the name of the human rights activist that was executed in Nigeria a number of years back? I think it was Ken someone.

Last edited:
Shocking

But I respect (read respect not agree) that it's their legal system and every country in the world does things differently.

Although I think this quote from the article is world's best hope that punishiment's like that disappear
“This is a young woman with a child. A woman can not be pregnant without a man, so where is that man? He deserves similar punishment. It’s not fair.”

It is in Nigera m8

and in Pakistan, it's against the law for a man to walk hand in hand down the street with a woman of higher station.

Some countries have strange laws (by our standards) but you have to respect them.

Just because its not a crime in our country doesnt mean that our principles should be applied and that it shouldnt be a crime there.
Their legal system revolves mainly around there religion which is why some of their laws seem absurd.

I totally agree each country has different laws, religions etc, and some things that are normal over there seem absurd to us.

However, whatever laws or religion you live by, they should never bring into affect such a horrendous violation of human rights. If you want to make it illegal to bear a child out of wedlock fine, but you shouldnt kill someone for it, nevermind in such a evil way as punishment.

Why should a woman not be killed for bearing a child out of wedlock, im not saying I agree with it but you are applying your western principles to a different way of thinking, they are mainly ruled by religion as such you are trying to change their faith.

In hindu religion a woman is expected to commit Sati if her husband dies, this involves burning herself alive. By western standards we would think this horrific and never let a woman do this but this is their beliefs and they must be respected for that

Last edited:
I'm not trying to change their beliefs at all, if they want it to be illegal thats up to them, And if a women choses to burn herself alive thats her choice, go for it.

But what they are doing is murder, I have been trying to justify capital punishment for people who are unable to be released back into society ever again, but you cannot put someone to death because they had mutually consenting sex, c'mon :)

Prophet Muhammad had stoned to death or 100 lashes depending on their marital status, people that had commited Zina, sexual relations outside of marriage (not even giving birth to a child, just for fornication) as their religion basically follows the teachings of the prophet this makes it their beliefs.
I agree that what they are doing is considered murder by us, but the point is that they do not believe this. Think of how many wars have been fought over religion, interferring in a nations religion is a far more complicated matter than for example stopping something by just changing laws like we do in a western country, if we were to barge in and say that they could not do this anymore because we dont believe its right I would think they would see it as an attack against their religion. Many western muslims do not believe in the traditional laws anymore and in time countries like pakistan, iran etc that still adhere to old traditional things such as Zina and the Laws of Hodoud will change their laws but not untill new generations come through to positions of power, for the time being I think it should be a case of letting them sort out their own issues.

I agree, it's not our place to barge in and tell them what to do, and I wouldnt suggest we did. I just think that ending someones life for such a petty thing is wrong, and any religion that does so is not in the best interests of the followers well being.

Just heard this on way back from a meeting on Radio 2.
Nigerian dude trying to justify why it's necessary.

For goodness sake it is not about imposing "Western" values:crap:

As human beings we should see that this is wrong.
And of course we should intervene. No Question.

If you want to try and justify or close your eyes to the plight of another human being, due to them living in a different country or following a different religion, then that is very,very sad.

To wash one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless, means to side with the powerful. Not to be neutral.
Freire

Last edited:
I think that what they are doing is totally unnecessary but to step in as an outsider and tell them that would be causing more problems than good. I believe it is something that they should sort out from within their religion, give them assistance if you must but to as a non muslim to force them to change something that in affect has been decreed law by their god is to insult their religion and beliefs, wars have been started for less, especially with religions that can be as fanatical as islam. Is it worth starting a war to change what they think is right when in time they will change their views anyway.

Not about a religion fs.
As human beings we should not stand back and let these things happen.
Fuck offending people's sensibilities.

I just think that ending someones life for such a petty thing is wrong

I sympathise with your opinion but unfortunately it isn't seen as petty in Nigeria. Therefore she shouldn't have done it.

In the same way that going back to the child killer arguement. If you caught one and wanted to kill him/her in this country then you probably wouldn't do it because it isn't socially acceptable. Even though most of the population would probably understand if you did. In another country this may be perfectly acceptable and they may think we are extremely weird as a consequence.

Anyway the point I'm making is that this woman committed an act which she knew was wrong and was aware of the potential consequences.

As human beings we should see that this is wrong.
And of course we should intervene. No Question.

What gives us the right to do that? If for example a more liberal society than our own were to come long and tell us that it's barbaric to lock up burgalars in prison and that it should be up to the victims to make sure their property is more secure then we would tell them to fuck off and mind their own business. Every society sets it's own standards. We might not agree with them but we have no right to change them.

religion shouldnt come into the law, most religions are blood thirsty as hell is this really what should be used as a base for law ? Steping in would be tricky yes but somethying should be done to let these ppl know the rest of the world dont aprove of this barbaric law, dont ask me what though cos iam clueless to how it could be handled without a war kicking off

it may sound cruel, but interfering has no use:
the woman will be sent to jail for the rest of her life and the prisons in this land are veryveryvery poor: 60 men in a cell, no decent toilets etc etc

i do not aprove the deathpenalty for this woman either, but i think there are enough ppl in nigeria that disaprove this and they have to stand up and say something about this

This has got nothing to do with religion, culture, countries etc. It is to do with basic human rights. You have the right to live. You have the right to own your own property without it being stolen. You have the right to love who you chose and have intercourse with them. Marriage is something invented by humans for legal reasons, sex is a natural process powered by animal instincts.

None of these rights should be intervened regardless of what religion you are on. What if someones religion said "it's ok to blow up any english people you feel like" ? We'd intervene and stop them then wouldn't we? Yes, because they are breaching our rights. Likewise, they are breaching this womans rights to exist as a human being.

Last edited: