AS-WaterFort

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Snuggs

Che, Mr. Obscure
Feb 20, 2002
on a giant weed tree
hi,

i made a new map the last 2 weeks
since it is a complete new release .. i though i post it in this forum :)

first of all .. thx to all beta testers 4 ideas and suggestions

here some pics

w4.jpg

w3.jpg

w2.jpg

w1.jpg

u can play it on Dog Customs .. and hopefully soon on pug server ;)

get it here :D

after a lil tme with some public tests .. there will be a final version
so plz report any bugs/errors or crashs here .. thx :)

Note: Plz don´t upload the map to any other webhost, casue that will be done with the final release

4 all that think low is 2 hard

Last edited:
Pitty i'm too dumb to create maps :\
Missing Assaulmaps with Nali themes. tbh those RivBeds-Ballistic-Bridge-metal-stone themes bores me.

Gameplay:
cant say anything. Tested it just alone. Will add summin when i've the chance to play it online.

Layout:
Is it just me, or is it a mashup of Siege3 and Siege2?
Every second i played it, a phrase yelled continuously in my head:
"Dejavu, it's SSSIIIEEEGGGEEE....surely html will love it".

Music:
Nice choice in choosing DeusEx music. Brings back tons of memories. :)

Textures:
Why aint you using default textures (e.g. wooden, roof, stone, crates)?
Everyone who is using HD textures (http://forums.utassault.net/showthread.php?p=1546508#post1546508) are forced to see low quality when you use customs or create your own texture packs.
And tbh, even in low-res those customs textures doesnt even look better than default ones.

Layout:
Is it just me, or is it a mashup of Siege3 and Siege2?
Every second i played it, a phrase yelled continuously in my head:
"Dejavu, it's SSSIIIEEEGGGEEE....surely html will love it".

This is exactly what I thought - it's just the Siege maps mashed together. I hate those maps so I'm maybe not the best person to review this one, but every bit of this map I had already played in a Siege map years ago. Spawn in a cave, run high along a bridge or go low in the water, run around hitting buttons spread around a fort, reach the main tower full of alternating ramps and hit a button at the top. Call it Siege4 and people will know straight away what they're getting :nono: At least the gfx are a bit more colourful than Siege][ but that's not saying much. Even the people who like Siege maps are hardly going to pick this over the one currently being used in the league - if they ignored Siege3 and Geko they'll skip this rehash too. Sorry but it's totally unoriginal and if there's one thing thats been overdone in AS maps it's the tower / ramp thing.

ye the main idea was map like siege, casue it´s voted in every damn pug
i just wanted to do a "low-detail", "not get lost 2 much" map 4 the community

the main difference is that u need other objectives be4 finishing it

about textures..they´re nearly all froma game called undying
i won´t use the default tectures, cause i don´t like em anymore+ no1 uses the super hires textures

map has mass launch potential
we tested many of them in some test session hours

about textures..they´re nearly all froma game called undying
i won´t use the default tectures, cause i don´t like em anymore+ no1 uses the super hires textures

Good call :thumb: I loved that game and I knew the textures you used looked pretty nice :P Undying was a cool game.

they´re nearly all from a game called undying
Undying was a class horror shooter :nod:.
Well, there is nearly zero differences between a grey UT concrete wall and a grey one from undying. And i could go on with many other materials used in the map.
I see your point of being bored by UT textures, after eleven years (since Unreal1) i'm bored of them too, but then i dont get why you used textures which are quit similiar to the original ones.
A 10% lighter version of gray and 15% darker brown doesnt give me the feeling of summin new.

If mapmakers dont use HiRes, players dont see the (huge) benefit of using them. And when no player uses them, mapmakers have excuses for not using them.
At the end makers create maps with ugly and blurry textures. Then it even doesnt matter which version of greyish- brownish "thing" you use for your walls, ugly stays ugly.
So it's the almighty circle of dullness (not speaking about Sausjes PC problems here :rolleyes: ).

ye the main idea was map like siege, cause it´s voted in every damn pug
i just wanted to do a "low-detail", "not get lost 2 much" map 4 the community
Only because this map is famous, doesnt mean it's worth to make a clone. Unfortunally there are still mappers who didnt get this point.
That's the reason why there are hundreds of Desk16 and Facing-Worlds clones out there. Hell, some even tried to fix or let's call it "pimp" existing AS maps.
Now let's be honest: Nearly 95% of them are nonsense and just unnecessary server-bloat, which gets picked twice a year (one time by the mapmaker himself and one time caused by an clicking accident in the vote menue)

"Not to get lost much"? You gotta be kidding. The guys here are freaks / pros. They play Assault for almost one decade and are used to play it.
Okay, some are reaching the 30s or even 40s and might fight with confuseness caused by their age, but still i doubt a "noob"-Siege is needed.

Anyway, just my 2 cents :P

Last edited:
"Not to get lost much"? You gotta be kidding. The guys here are freaks / pros. They play Assault for almost one decade and are used to play it.
Okay, some are reaching the 30s or even 40s and might fight with confuseness caused by their age, but still i doubt a "noob"-Siege is needed.

Anyway, just my 2 cents :P

bart trust me
u should play pugs

i have many "fixed" betversion on pug running
like Thescarab, dawnraid, pandora, and some others
and they get lost in it..all i hear is 24/ 7 "why u voting shit maps ..bla bla bla"

not all...but some are real bunny brains to dumb to understand subbase after 9 years :o

and about textures..i´m cba using default
i could make my own hi-res cause i´m used to PS, but i would waste my time there..got enough other projects running..and they need to be don till 29th :D

Last edited:
map is great,i like it, with player testing i think it could be a worthy league map! bla bla another siege, lol shup and be gratefull wev got a"new" map.

and yes jules,alot of launching area :P

Stu if someone remade HiSpeed by adding an extra car and calling it AS-BigTrain would you consider that a new map?

u cant compare hispeed to this map,hispeed is a pissporr shit map, that no1 plays. at least siege is a good map which alot of ppl like, and yes this new map is similar but it looks good,and im pretty sure alot of ppl will like it m8. And its also better imo that u have no middle tower with a teleporter taking u halfway up the tower, so u gotta walk up or get launched.

I like it also have to see it with 6v6 but the map is very nice

<3 AS-WaterFort

New map,new speedrun ;)...

Attachments

• speedrun.JPG
    speedrun.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 218
nice try - you cant hide the fact that its just like siege. I think it will work as a easier to attack version of siege This map has far more launch potential (like Golg2) to make launches from all different angles - which is bad imo. Nobody likes golg2 because of this lottery.

I urge you to add 1 more objective after the final.... you can even give it a better storyline. Like adding a beacon in the sky that needs to be lit to signify that the skaarj leaders have been killed and its safe to return to the fort!! (holy shit im good)

Anyway this is my idea, you could use this if the map turns out to be too easy to attack with your original design.

You can position this beacon wherever you like really

excuse my paint skills!

Attachments

• Shot0001.JPG
    Shot0001.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 22