About ut2k4 as

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

dog said:
Aye jwer, ur expecting the game devs to be catering for the piratcommunity now? :lol:

fs, I am with wiggy here as well, we need something fresh fs, we got as, its great I love it, no need for a substitute lets have a new online game with some carnage and a bit of tactical understanding needed pls :D

i don't think they should support it, i just think it couldn't hurt if it was doable :p:

and why can't something be "fresh" without having something familiar in it :\ (even if it was only 1 weapon that feels like UT :( )

jwer_NL said:
and why can't something be "fresh" without having something familiar in it :\ (even if it was only 1 weapon that feels like UT :( )

you want to play a first person shooter dont you, now how do you make a first person shooter that doesnt resemble any of the 50'000 fps's there already are?

i guess you didnt really mean that sentence very serious because it is impossible to have that.

"calling someone "stupid" isn't really a way to debate about anything like this imo, and i thought better of you, even though it's this late on a saturday night"

i didnt call you stupid i said "The stupidity of that statment" read what you said and if you dont thing its a stupid thing to say then maybe you are Stupid!

"they have to learn a completely new game all over again because there is nothing familiar. So what would make them play UT2003"

isnt that half the reason to buy a new game to learn how to play it .. to discover things in the game ??? one of the main reasons AS has had such longevity is because of the learning curve you have playing it .. and you carnt disagree with that Jwer i spent ages teaching you and a couple of others hammer jumps hammer launches rocket launches etc etc ..

t isn't "stupid" it's a serious statement and i seriously think the profit difference will NOT be as big as all you laughin people think

why on earth do you think Games companies, music companies, Movie companies, software companies are investing billions in anti piracy development ?? do you honestly belive that they would invest time money and energy in it if the profit differnce was so small ??

as for not wanting to understand ... i think you should see Moe's post and look at yourself.

Rich said:
isnt that half the reason to buy a new game to learn how to play it .. to discover things in the game ??? one of the main reasons AS has had such longevity is because of the learning curve you have playing it .. and you carnt disagree with that Jwer i spent ages teaching you and a couple of others hammer jumps hammer launches rocket launches etc etc ..

A game needs to draw you, if there's nothing familair about UT2003 why would i buy that and not any of the 1000's of other games out? What makes UT2003 better then the rest? If there's something familiar in it, i could use that for the first couple of days and learn the rest from there, it would draw me in...

Rich said:
why on earth do you think Games companies, music companies, Movie companies, software companies are investing billions in anti piracy development ?? do you honestly belive that they would invest time money and energy in it if the profit differnce was so small ??

tbh i don't know, there prolly is a big gap for some companies and ur all right and i'm all wrong, what i do know is that there are more and more artist that started offering their songs online for people to download... are they just stupid?

RE:

those artists are usually

a) well established bands with a massive fan base who know they will make money regardless of whatever happens

b) unknown artists who have nothing to lose by giving their music away

Sauron said:
i agree to what Phear said. from what ive seen in the videos the maps are huge, launching would probably not be very usefull since the size of the maps is adjusted to the vehicles which are a lot faster than a player on foot.

maybe you can get 2 players on the cars and launch while its driving ;)

"A game needs to draw you, if there's nothing familair about UT2003 why would i buy that and not any of the 1000's of other games out? What makes UT2003 better then the rest? If there's something familiar in it, i could use that for the first couple of days and learn the rest from there, it would draw me in..."

Hype, advertising etc .. thats what drew me to UT, battlefield UT2003 Halo and now COD the hype surrounding the game that i bought into wholesale .. i then Downloaded the games and played them .. liked them so i brought them .. thats the truth .. noone could belive that i had an original copy of UT at my first LAN .. anyway .. the only one i didnt buy and have since deleted is HALO .. as i didnt like it and it didnt live up to my expectations .. what you have said about copying games is silly m8 i mean fs these companies pay huge amounts in development and design thru to the final product .. they need to secure there profits ffs use your head ..
i understand what your saying about player base and the simple number of players would be alot more due to the fact of piracy .. but thats not really going to do Epic any good in the long run .. if UT2003 was easily pirated for online use i doubt UT2004 would be in development at all.

Last edited:
guess I liked the feel of ut...there isnt a thing harder to explain...
The dodgin, the weapons and their power..and even a noob can be the hero when your playing assault when gettin the final in the last few seconds...

Thats what drew me. But thruth is first there where the recommendations by magz and on internet...thats what actually made me buy the game.

Thats my point, you'd played nothing like it before, although there had been other fps's you thought theres was X,Y or Z about UT and Assault that made it better, and worth playing.

There has to be something to draw you to a game, but that something doesn't have to be the fact its identical to Assault. Don't believe there can never be a better game than Assault, and don't believe something that is different to Assault cannot be as good.

Think outside the box ffs!

Phear said:
Why did you play UT to start with?

other players recommended it to me, i never heared anyone outside these UT2003/4 forums recommend UT2003 to me :\

i don't know what i am looking for in a new game anymore, something that reminds me of UT i guess... something that has that same appeal...

and i'm sorry to say willhaven's post on chit chat made me feel bad about UT2004-AS, though i'm still looking forward to it

ye phear you have a point, but for me the combination of UT and AS as gametype was the nonplusultra, no other game ever atracted me as much, maybe for a short time but i tend to loose interest after a few weeks.

so in order to addict me a game would have to beat UTAS by being very similar, yet better. other people may be more flexible in this subject, i and maybe many others arent.

I think the trouble is, you love AS too much to think there could ever be anything better. Therefore for you, there never will be.

no thats wrong.

i tried most of the first person shooters that were released since UT, some of them i hated some of them i liked and some i liked so much that i played them for some weeks or even months. but none ever attracted me so much that i became ambitious and wanted to play it in a clan, it was never more than a little break from UT.

atm XMP did it to me, i will see if it keeps up or if i will loose interest again after some months.

Tbh i think UT2004 is gonna be just fine ;)

They have got up to speed in what people want to play and how they go around playing it (Vehicles ect)

But it depends what you like and how you like it

UT was a revolution when it was out instead of just the traditional DM and CTF they added new game types and experimented on there effect which became a success and got it all into agreeable contexts (with musics that set scene with maps ect) therfore became a very good game

Last edited: