2 UT2003 Videos

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

still downloading the videos

wrt UT-AS mod in UT2003 I can't wait :)

Hopefully it will be relative easy to rework old UTAS maps so they can be used in UT2003.... Should be possible but software always has nasty surprises.

I have no idea what the new weapons are capable of. But lets hope we can still launch. I do hope some of them in one way or another make it possible to pull stunts like that. Launching or at least the threat of it, makes UT-AS such a nice game. We all know that. It adds so much to the game, makes people very creative and tactics, really like tactics. DM I only play to brush up my fragging and stuff, not because I like it. I almost hate it, its way too 1-dimensional. Team play is what counts, what is exciting, what binds.

oh well

Originally posted by Phear
"Assault Based Mod for UT2003".

Yes its still happening and we've already got a fair size team together :D Enough to start work once its released.

But what we aren't working on is a direct port of Assault to UT2003. We're taking the basic principals of Assault and building a new mod on those foundations.

so what about that?

Originally posted by Phear
I hate to disappoint but there wont be such a thing, at least not that I will have any part in :\
So you decided for the whole team already???
BTW, have you decided who will be in the team???
I wonder if I'm in or not?

When I and many ppl applied to be in that team we thought you would be making ASSAULT gametype for UT2003.
Noone told us about any TO or RTCW or whatever lookalike...
Classes suck, that's why ppl play assault. Rounds as well. I hate that TO, playing one map allover again...:mad:
If there are no launches it's still cool :cool: cuz assault will be played with less cheating and more fights, and mapps will be easier to make.

Last edited:
NO not again the same maps ffs, that would kill the Mod for sure, and i know more ppl agree on that,

we will make some new maps, much more fun! (i hope lol)

maybe l8r you can convert the maps or something, with some changes, coz they will looks so fucking shit with the new engine, like playing tetris on a pentium 70000 :D

aye, agree with des,
i even hate to play the standard maps now
i couldn't be arsed to play them in the new game

Last edited:
i read that the old maps could be loaded into the new level editor but must argee iam looking for new stuff not a rehash of what we been playing for the last 2 years. Assault needs to move forward and mutate into a game type thats gonna give us a new challange while still having all that was good from the normal assault we know and love now but with none of the bugs. Phear has been playing as long as or longer than most of us and i trust his view on whats gonna make a good mode after all hasn`t he done a great job with league assault already which is in its way differant to standard assault.

oops, I was not thinking of the standard stuff, just the good maps

if it can be done, after the introduction of the mod, you can have a nice set of maps soon. that is all I was thinking of. Of course we need new maps, but good new maps are hard to make, so will come slowly. Thats all.

so what about that?

As I said its an "Assault Based Mod for UT2003", in general terms that means it will be based around objectives. Other than that I can't say what will or will not be in it at this stage, but it most certainly will not be a rehash of RCTW, TO, CS, or Tribes II, although aspects of these and many more games may well be included.

So you decided for the whole team already???
BTW, have you decided who will be in the team???
I wonder if I'm in or not?

Some team members have been selected, mostly these were people I had been discussing doing a UT2003 mod with for a long time, its really just a founding team with other members to join later.

When I and many ppl applied to be in that team we thought you would be making ASSAULT gametype for UT2003.

I specifically said "Assault Based", if that gave the impression it was to be a direct Assault port then I appologise, it wont be. Anyone who does join and doesn't like the direction the mod is taking is free to leave, but I suggest to anyone who is interested they only apply if they are open minded. We have just one rule with developing this mod, and that is that must be a great game to play, other than that we have no pre-conceptions about how the development will proceed and what the final result will be. I will say out of the first few days of brainstorming we're certainly looking at some very exciting ideas and concepts. The mod looks like it will certainly be a team game through and through.

i read that the old maps could be loaded into the new level editor but must argee iam looking for new stuff not a rehash of what we been playing for the last 2 years

AFAIK you can't load unreal maps into the new editor, you would have to build the maps again. Its pretty safe to say that the majority of Assault maps wouldn't suit a new mod as they stand, and they certainly wouldn't do the new engine justice. Whether or now we will see any new versions of old maps at this stage I can't say.

Anyway I hope that clears things up with regards to the mod we are developing. I can't give any details because basically there aren't any to give yet, the discussions and ideas have only just started and we wont even know if all the ideas will be feasible until we get our hands on the new engine. All I can say is that if you were hoping for a direct Assault port, you wont get one.

yep agree with that, i aint playing UT aslong as some of u, but it really needs a change :)

aslong as it is a mod with some objectives and stuff, then it is assault to me

:)

new mods, new maps, new weapons, new playability :nod:
throw away the old stuff, come back with new stuff like all gamers want...AWAY WITH BRIDGE FS! :)

Originally posted by Konnan
...AWAY WITH BRIDGE FS! :)

The fact the Mi5 always tend to lose that map to >ION< in no way colours Konnan's hatred of bridge ;) :whatever:

Things which made/make assault great to me:

1. Launches - whether with RL or Hammer. Hammer launching is NOT a bug Phear - else why would it tell you how to do it in the original UT manual? :D And rocket launching is hardly a bug either when it has been in most FPS games from Quake1 onwards. Perhaps its more an "undocumented feature" of the game physics engine?

2. Time based levels - Probably the best aspect - the idea is to *complete* the level in as fast a time as possible. Think of the buzz you get when you slap that final objective 1 second before the time runs out, with defenders clustered around it. :D

Most other time based mods, like CS and TO are nothing like an assault game. With TO and CS, the idea is more to *survive* the time limit, whether by having a better gun than your opponent, or simply hiding and camping.

Think of the CS and TO games online? How often to the terrorists generally plant the bomb and defend it? Almost never - its usually simply just another DM gun battle with the other side.

3. The Game physics - no other FPS contemporary with UT had the "dodge" flips and rolls, which made UT more unique, and less wooden and artificial in character movements.

4. Maps were more organic - you had outdoor settings, trees, grass, cliffs, mountains and waterfalls, which made for far greater variety and interest than "yet another bland square room with bodies hung to the walls and a huge pentagram in the middle of the floor" like the quake series. The point is that UT outdoor maps were the most believeable of all the FPS games of the time.

5. Teamplay - as mentioned before, this is one of the real cornerstones of assault. Successful taking of assault objectives almost always results from good teamwork and co-operation. Covering team-mates, launching, combined assaults from multiple directions. No other game type really has this. TO/CS games tend to degenerate into camper fests, to see which sniper can stay hidden longest, and even in CTF, how often, even in clan games, do you see proper strategy to capture a flag, and then defend the flag carrier?

6. Cheating - this may be subjective of course, but in my experience, I've always come across the least cheating in UT, and Assault in particular. Anyone who played/plays Quake3 or CS regularly will know that these games are simply rife with cheats and cheaters. Maybe this is simply because more people play quack3 and Cheater-Strike though... :D

In the end, UT-Assault has a flowing dynamic which no other game has equalled or bettered, and if it died out in its present form, I for one think that would be a great shame.

Last edited:
I'm sick off ppl saying it will die!:mad:
IT WILL NOT DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If needed I'll port UT-assault to UT2003 and make mapps for it, and I know a community that will provide servers for it, but I can do that too.
IT CAN'T DIE!!!!!!!!!

I guess we'll have to form our own team...:deal:

RL isn't bug eighter cuz every explosion must throw you a little.
It's just that with team damage off you don't kill but still launch your teammate...It would be stupid if you wouldn't be thrown.

Last edited:
1. Launches - whether with RL or Hammer. Hammer launching is NOT a bug Phear - else why would it tell you how to do it in the original UT manual? And rocket launching is hardly a bug either when it has been in most FPS games from Quake1 onwards. Perhaps its more an "undocumented feature" of the game physics engine?

Hammer Jumping is in the manual and was designed in UT from the start. However both IH & RL launching are bugs, Epic have confirmed that neither was intended to be possible and are both due to bugs in the code (which you can see in the uscript). IH is caused by a bug which makes the IH fire at the angle it was charged at not the angle is is currently being pointed and RL is cased by an bug which resulted in the momentum from 6 rockets being multiplied together, when they shouldn't have been.

I'm not trying to make Assault out to be crap ffs, jesus I've been playing the game for 2 1/2 years and have put virtually everything I can into this community. But for me the end is near, and its time for something new and different, the release of UT2003 is the opportunity to do that.

Doc if you want to develop a direct AS port for UT2003 good luck to you m8, and your right you'll find a few hardened Assault players to play it nps.

Its just thats not what we want to do.