2 UT2003 Videos

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

sure it changes are needed, but ut was the only game i know that had a weapon like the impact hammer and the possibility to launch teammates with it or the rl , and we all know how usefull this is, do we
so i dont want the game to be exact the same with new engine, but id like if they keep the things that made UT something special and different from other 08/15 ego shooters

There is no Assault in UT2003, and launching / jumping are virtually useless in the other game modes. Launching is a bug, and since it has no bearing on anything but Assault there would be no reason to carry such a bug over to UT2003. Jumping was designed in UT, but since again its only real "impact" (excuse the punn) was in Assault whether or not its included in UT2003 makes no difference at all.

If Assault is all you want to play, then why should you care what weapons etc are in UT2003, why should you care about the game at all. If your a DM / CTF player too, then you wont care about Launching at all, and jumping very little :)

its not that i only want to play as, i also play alot of dm, and i like ctf if it is played without the translocator, which it hardly is

i think with the right maps and no trans, launches could be used in ctf and would improve the gameplay

anyway, my point is, i love as for its possibility to have a teamplay that is completeley different from other teambased mods
in mods like ctf, tdm, to, whatever, teamplay is always saving each others ass by killing attackers

now i know that as wont be a part of ut2 anymore, so i dont want to moan, i only wanted to say that i would be glad if they kept the launching possibilities so that maybe other mods or a custom as mod could could make use of it

but thats only my opinion :)

Here's the thing:

AS is without a doubt the most heavily teambased mod I have so far encountered, no other FPS game or UT mod carries the same kind of teamplay.... the big difference today between a div 3 4 clan and a div 1 is mainly in the teamplay... the players I see as excellent teamplayers are very skilled teamplayers... ofcourse they have good fragging skills, but if you can't think and play with 5 other players as a whole, you're next to useless in a match.

I think THAT is what we're looking for in the next FPS...

I know that FPS games never really interrested me much before, but the teamplay of AS is so massive, and can be tweaked to such extreemes that even tho the same graphics, the same maps, the same taunts, the same weapons, etc, etc can become boring, the proper matches never does...

y dont the clanbase homos make launching allowed in ctf then? surely with some clever map design u could cut out how effective it would be. Or even if u could boost instead of launch, like with insta except a tad more powerful........

anyway, wasnt there going to be some sort of "infiltration" type thingy in U2, maybe that could be adapted for online play? Im sure in one of the reviews i read something about teams attackin and defending places in single player

ive read something like that too, i even read that there would be a new kind of expanded as like multiplayer mod with implemented basemanagment
but since the multiplayer part of unreal2 is no longer we will prolly have to wait for unreal warfare to come out

now i know that as wont be a part of ut2 anymore, so i dont want to moan, i only wanted to say that i would be glad if they kept the launching possibilities so that maybe other mods or a custom as mod could could make use of it

If we're now talking custom mods then what is or isn't included in UT2003 is of no relevance at all. Mod designers are not constrained by the weapons, inventory or anything like that included in the game. For example take Tac Ops, built on the UT engine but nothing like the original game, with its own weapons, physics and everything.

Any custom mod designers are free to include any weapons sets they like, any features they like, well pretty much anything they like within the limits of the engine itself.

Still IMHO any mod designers looking to do an Assault based mod :rolleyes: would be condeming their mod to an early grave before it even got off the ground if they were to include launching exactly as it stands in Assault today :D

there'd be no sense in doing anything exactly as as is today...(I like that... hmm, sorry, but I just have to say it again... as as is today...)

that'd be one of the main things in building a new Assault mod, rethinking the concept, keeping the good parts and weeding out the less good... still I have to say, that the coorperative part of launching is a nice touch, tho it has wrecked a few maps, think of the ones it has enhanced, what would maps like: frigate, mazon, bridge be without launches, or at least the threat of them?

phear i know that mod designers are pretty free to do whatever they like in ut
but you can see how much time to needed till it had a nice gameplay
after what i heard implementing assault into the new game would be piece of cake for someone who knows some about scripting, but as soon as you have to design new weapons and physics it gets timeintensive, which condemns the mod to be everlasting beta

HMM

The problem with making a mod to compare with AS is if you make it too similar, it really isnt worth the effort. Equally if its made to different it may not attract the people needed to justify its being :( Also splitting the AS community must be a worry :( its all a bit of problem :/

OMG, I love rocket launching and impact jumps! :bawling:
That's what made UT so special compared to Q3 and others.
If an AS mod is to be made why not include a menu where you can trigger launches off and on???
Same for spawn protection and include a mutator to make rocket launcher able to fire more than 3 rockets at the time.
Many other things should be included in the menu...

Last edited:
after what i heard implementing assault into the new game would be piece of cake for someone who knows some about scripting, but as soon as you have to design new weapons and physics it gets timeintensive, which condemns the mod to be everlasting beta

Sure a straight port of Assault would be a piece of cake. A little bit of useless info for ya: the code base for Assault is less than half the amount of code than that for League Assault (not including CSHP). Gives you an idea of how much Epic actually put into Assault, of course theres mapping on top of that, but by no means are the originals anywhere near as big or elaborate as the best customs out there :)

The problem with making a mod to compare with AS is if you make it too similar, it really isnt worth the effort. Equally if its made to different it may not attract the people needed to justify its being Also splitting the AS community must be a worry its all a bit of problem :/

The Assault community as it stands atm will be only the Assault community. Any new mods will not be Assault no matter how much they are based around it. Even a straight port to UT2003 wouldn't be the same due to new weapons and maps. A new community will be built as is with the case with any mod, how large and successful this community is depends on captivating the attention of as many people as possible. To do that you've certainly got to develop something considerable different to Assault as it is today.

Assault as it is today will die with UT, anyone who had hoped it would live on in any form I think is going to be disappointed. If anyone out there does decide to do a straight port it will be doomed to failure from the start IMHO. Anything else will be too different to appeal to all Assault players as whole.

"Assault as it is today will die with UT, "

Well that's just what you think. Untill something better comes along then a simple port will still RULE!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course its all conjecture and opinions, but a straight port is instantly gonna have no launching (due to the RL having only max 3 rocket load up) so is gonna be a totally different game anyway.

Since AFAIK no one is doing a straight Assault port to the UT2003 engine, its all pretty much a moot point.

Originally posted by Phear
The Assault community as it stands atm will be only the Assault community. Any new mods will not be Assault no matter how much they are based around it. Even a straight port to UT2003 wouldn't be the same due to new weapons and maps. A new community will be built as is with the case with any mod, how large and successful this community is depends on captivating the attention of as many people as possible. To do that you've certainly got to develop something considerable different to Assault as it is today.

Assault as it is today will die with UT, anyone who had hoped it would live on in any form I think is going to be disappointed. If anyone out there does decide to do a straight port it will be doomed to failure from the start IMHO. Anything else will be too different to appeal to all Assault players as whole.

sure assault would be different from now coz of new weapons and gameplay, but concider that dm, tdm and ctf have been part of almost every fps comming out in the past years
and that means much more differencies between the certain games than there will occur when comparing ut with ut2

its the definition that makes the difference, if you would call deathmatch as it was in duke3d the first and real deathmatch then the gamemode called deathmatch in ut is something completly different
i still call it deathmatch, but in a different game

as you said before just copying the game and put it into a new engine wouldnt be a great thing, but the new weapons and the slightly different gameplay of ut2 compared to ut will bring new inpulses that can make an implemented assault mod in ut something great
if there will be a new as mod in ut2 with the given weapon set, then the maps will be adapted to the delivered gameplay (just as they are now, if you look at some launches like launch to bridge or to guncavern which cant really be accidentaly imo)

so imo you cant just say assault will die, it will get a quite different shape, but they main idea which makes the mod stays :)

Agreed that if you move to a new game like UT2003 and play DM your playing a new gametype even tho its called DM, but the complexity of DM cannot be compared to Assault. Going by your definition then there are already many other types of Assault anyway. RTCW, Tribes II and even CS/TO are based on the idea of 1 team defending a base and the other having to complete objectives to win the map, however we don't call these Assault, because they are vastly different. The principals of DeathMatch and CTF are simple and can and have been applied to many game formats, the definition of what makes Assault is a little more in depth, you cannot classify all games based on 1 team completing objectives and another stopping them as Assault.

Assault is clearly defined by what it is in UT today, and that is where it will stay. Sure its not gonna die the minute UT2003 comes out and I'm sure people will be playing it for a while to come yet.

We wont see Assault in UT2003, either out of the box or in mod form. We may see mods like it, but because we like AS doesn't mean we will like these mods, just the same as if we like playing DM in UT doesn't mean we will like playing DM in UT2003.

"Assault Based Mod for UT2003".

Yes its still happening and we've already got a fair size team together :D Enough to start work once its released.

But what we aren't working on is a direct port of Assault to UT2003. We're taking the basic principals of Assault and building a new mod on those foundations.

sure youre right about that, but the differences of rtcw, to and cs are more than just the same mod in another game
in rtcw you got playerclasses and a reinforcement wueue
to and cs are roundbased and got only one objective, such as placing one bomb or killing all enemies

so ut is still pretty much the only game with a mod you can call assault like we play it, just as you say

i can only repeat myself, but if you build an assault based mod for ut2k3 and you stick to the basic gameplay like the possibility to launch, no weapons besides the ut2k3 set, no playerclasses, no roundbased or reinforcement queue, then i will call it assault in the new game, not exactly thesame as in ut, but still assault :)

and believe me, im really longing for the day you will release it ;):)