Your thoughts about the USA bombing Iraq

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I think so too.

Dont see how it is justified, but I think its inevitable.

George Bush and mini-me :nono:

This is a very difficult one, on which I am still undecided.

On one hand, if America attack Iraq then they become the aggressor and are being hypocritical.

On the other hand, if Iraq really are building up a stock pile of weapons of mass destruction what are we supposed to do? Wait until they make the first move, probably killing millions if innocent citizens? And by then they will also have enough weapons to take on the rest of the world...

tbh I'm starting to think America might be doing the right thing - if they have solid evidence, and I mean photos, videos etc, that Iraq really are continuing to build chemical and nuclear weapons, then I think at the very least America should destroy those weapons.

Its like the kid in the playground with the catapault. If he shoots another kid with it, you confiscate it so he cannot do it again. Iraq have proved once they cannot live and let live, so they need someone to keep an eye on them imho. The last thing any of us want is to wake up 2moro and find London and Washington wiped out by nuclear missles.

Anyone think that the USA might conjure up this evidence, in order to get the backing of other countries?

Something to consider:

America is *totally* dependant on oil from the middle east. America's energy requirements are huge, yet their green movement have prevented them from building the only sensible solution to this - i.e. Nuclear Power Stations. They can't really drill for oil in alaska without incurring worldwide opprobrium. So, what to do?

Most of America's oil comes from Saudi Arabia and the other OPEC member countries. Iraq is not (I think) an OPEC member. So, topple Saddam Hussein, and install a democratic, pro-American regime in his place. Bingo - no more dependance on OPEC, and a nice flow of cheap crude from a grateful liberated Iraq.

Oh, and incidentally, some nutter is prevented from acquiring weapons of mass destruction.

Am I being too cynical? :D

no your not thur

Big question is why the fuck didnt they finsh the job last time ?

Also you know what will happen if the us invades, good old tony B will do his arse licking imperssion and send loads of our armed forces over to fight a war thats fuck all to do with us.

democratic regime nice :D
i think u re right
oil is at least one good reason
bush campaign against the "evil" has to go on...
that they ll only get more terroism by that they dont see :\
but y now?
just because there s not much of a resistance in the us and the world against an attack? - compared what it would have been before 9/11

Originally posted by Ajax
no your not thur

Big question is why the fuck didnt they finsh the job last time ?

good point. if i remember right the USA "promised" the iraqi opposition support if they stand up against the dictator and they were left standing on their own after they did(and one willl never know how many of the opposition have been killed by the regime after).

USA has proven often enough to take their interests over the rest of the world (kyoto, steel tax etc.) and I dont
trust their current leaders bout their motives. NO BASHING of the US or their people in general intended - I just dont fancy the attitude of the current leaders.

on the other hand: if the US isnt doin something against it, noone will cause exspecially Europe is very quick with demanding some action for some crisis but very slow to take their part and prolly risk the lives of their own people/soldiers (UK excepted )

difficult...

Iraq is a founding member of opec, so I dont think Thurs argument would stand.

That is unless theyve been kicked out of opec recently, only remember things from my history lessons :D

well, tho they're a member of OPEC, tbh, it would still be a motive. the thing about opec is, that they do have a pretty solid monopoly on oil, and they obviously exploit it sort of speak. they agree to a set amount of barrels to export. i hear it on the news every so often.

so i spose it could still be an advantage to us. then again, if you'll note, i believe some people have said we were going to setup a bunch of places in afganistan and pump it dry, but we haven't done that yet ;) (tho yes, its still extremely early to tell, but i haven't heard about it yet)

and yes, i'm not exactly wild about bush (i voted for gore in our schools mini election :D)- and if you look at his administration, there are quite a few big wigs from his father's.

and i forget the exact reason why, but there was one as to why we didn't just roll in and kick saddam out.. could have just been what the European countries would have thought, tho i'm not really sure.

Originally posted by Ajax
Also you know what will happen if the us invades, good old tony B will do his arse licking imperssion and send loads of our armed forces over to fight a war thats fuck all to do with us.

Yes, this always surprises me too. Labour have done nothing but run our armed forces down since they came to power in 1997, and yet at the same time, send more and more of our boys all over the world to fight in places with poor equipment, bad logistical support, and no clearly defined mandate or objective. "Mission Creep" anyone?

America has no legal right to bomb or invade a country without the backing of the UN.Saddam has to go admittedly(as he would of done if the US had followed up on their promises after the gulf war).
tbh i'm sick of Bush's arm flexing,he needs to learn his place is within the world community,not above it or leading it.

If one single iraq civilian should die in theses attacks he should be held responsible.They have suffered through saddam,wars with iran,and the trade sanctions imposed on iraq after the gulf war.enough already.

America is less and less dependent on Middle Eastern oil. They are starting to get more Oil from Russian oil fields. They also have a 60 day reserve. There is currently a surplus of oil production in the world. As to the main question will the Americans attack. Id be surprised if they do not.

every so often i hear in the news about potential attack plans 'n such, really sickens me :\. tbh, i'd be happier if we just became more isolationists again, as opposed to trying to be the policeman of the entire world, without any support or whatnot from anyone else really :(

Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries

All eleven members are developing countries whose economies rely on oil export.

www.opec.org

OPEC = Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries :)

anyway i agree with stephen there nothing much more to add

btw - steve that posts sounds like my history class lol fs

edit - didnt see mughi's post :)