XP2000+overclocking+how much?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

ProPain

Contents under Pressure
Oct 10, 2001
Stockholm
Lo guys,

Quite new to overclocking a processor so a few questions

I have an xp2000 and am thinking of overclocking it.
atm temp in case is about 32 to 35 celcius.
with FSB 133

I am planning to take the FSB up 1 point at the time to see how far it can go.

But if there are other options please let me know.
Also at what temp should i start worrying about the proc?
and what is the absolute max I can get with an xp2000

Well, i would say the max you really want a processor to stay at is 55c IMO. although, it also depends on what voltage you have going through your processor and obviously stability.

http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ <-- shows tons of OC's on many many processors, you can look up the 2000+ up there.

also to consider is unlocking the processor, which can allow you to drop the multiplier and raise the front side bus (FSB) higher, usually offering higher performance. one thing to look out with higher FSB's is however, the components in your AGP (vid card obviously) and PCI components. they were in a 2:1 ratio (AGP 66mhz, PCI 33mhz).

if you can lock the agp and pci to a set point, then thats good, otherwise you'll probably work with ratios. if its too hgih, you're definitely going to have an unstable situation, and can damage components.

voltage is another thing. your bios will enable you to raise the voltage in .025v increments. in order to yield decent results, you'll most likely have to raise the voltage. i'm not too familiar what the maximum should be for athlon processors voltage wise, htat you could ask an AMD type.

for testing stability and temperature (temperature should be measured at full load), i would advise using Prime95 and/or Folding@Home client to test it. then go to task manager and make sure the processor is at full load. in prime95, you're system may become pretty laggy. once you've settled on a frequency, i would leave it in prime for overnight or an entire day to test stability and to let it 'burn in'. meanwhile, i would get a program like MBM or something similar (e.g. something that came iwth your motherboard) to monitor temperatures.

GL and HF oc'ing your processor and don't break anything :D

Get mother board monitor, so u can track cpu temp. Then raise ur fsb by little increases. Get proggie called PiFast and run it couple of times after u have raised fsb. Raise fsb till PiFast gives u error/crashes. Then go to bios and increase vcore ( cpu ) and vio ( memory ) voltages by 0.1 . Now u can try to run PiFast again, it should be stable. Increase fsb again and go through the hole ^^ thing again till the point fsb wont go higher.

Increasing fsb/voltages raises temparatures quite a lot, see that u got proper cooling. Watercooling is pretty nice coz it gives low temps without any noise. Sum dumb fucks even run a compressor :D Just make sure u dont go (much) over 60 degrees.

Most of the newer motherboards have automatic agp/pci ratios or even possibility to run diffrent modes from bios, so i wouldnt worry about them.

Next u can try to unlock the multiplier or build a voltmod :D
Theres blenty of info on oc sites how to do those.

U could tell bit more bout ur systemspecs ie. what make is ur motherboard and what kinda memory u have ?

nah try going for a FSB of about 143 first if it's stable there it's good to go further. If it doesn't you would be *very* unlucky to blang your cpu.

my xp2000 overclocked to about 1780 mhz but wouldnt go further but that was using a shitty heatsink :P

could get my 2100 to around the 1.9 mark and my 2200 goes almost to 2.1 gig on water tho

thanks for da help.
will let you know how far I can overclock it.
(sunday I have loads of time so I can jerk around with it)

Sum dumb fucks even run a compressor

fs japs some kinda hint there:D?

btw amd's dont break of voltage so spank it with some overvolts andyou'll get significant results, palomino core handles 2+ volts fine if proper cooling installed

btw what comes to compressors they're a must:D that be a 1700+ @ 1.75 volts;)

Last edited:
/me needs some practice with pictures

edit: /me needs some practice with typing, too

got now:p: now should be arsed to do the voltmod

ok i have a msi kt3 ultra 2
with 256 ddr 333 memory.
a point of view TI4200 128mb
and a Aopen 250 watt psu

also i was wrong about the temp in the case
it is 24 degrees in idle

hm if you're overclocking getting a more powerful PSU might be a good idea, 250 watts is somewhat weak:\

I currently have a regular desktop case.
got it overclocked to 1800 mgz now and it is running stable.
temp went up from 23 to 50 degrees.
Ain't gonna overclock it till i get some extra cooling.

anyways got a 400watt PSU lying around and a high tower.
could throw my entire system in there and i think temp would drop a bit.
Tried the 400 watt psu in my desktop case and it created too much heat for such a small case. made my comp crash every ten minutes.

I currently have a regular desktop case.
got it overclocked to 1800 mgz now and it is running stable.
temp went up from 23 to 50 degrees.

Overclocking would never cause a jump like that in a million years.

Thats either:

1. A program error

2. Your compairing different temps. 23C is pretty much impossible to get with air cooling. So im betting you got that 23C right after a reboot or something, and that 50C was after your played UT or something (there for compairing a clod CPU against a CPU at full load).

3. Both of the above

I have a XP1800+ (1.53GHz) at 2100+ (1.74GHz) and it does 35-40C full load (depending on how hot of a day it is.

#1 yoiu'd be surprised at jumps in temps.

#2 yes, that is very low for air cooling, you're most likely looking at the case temp.

#3 what fsb do you have on the AXP there baha

checked it again after clocking down due to performance problems
23 after bootup
28 to 30 after ut

U have selected wrong sensor or sumthing, theres no way xp+2000 runs that cool even unclocked.

What cooler u got ?