xp media center

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Rich

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted
Jun 7, 2001
Omnipresent
i am thinking of instaling this on my laptop server for the lounge (my kinda media center pc)
does anyone know if you can install it on any pc ?.. is there anything i should shouldnt do ? ,,

cheers Rich

you need a dvd decoder codec to view tv etc with it. Best ive seen is nvidia dvd codec, altho you have to pay for this. WinDVD trial comes with one that works tho for free. You need the dvd codec to watch dvd`s as well.

MCE2005 is xp home edition with mce program built in along with the microsoft digital media pack. So no domain logins etc in it :/

MCE keeps your digital tv card open all time, even when not loaded, so blocks other programs from using tv card (unless you kill off correct processes).

»Player~63« said:
is there a microsoft van out side your house?

Use PowerDVD i will send u a copy ;)

The features of mce extend somewhat beyond those of power dvd. Media center 2005 is now available as an oem version for public consumption. It is indeed based on a stipped down version of xp pro sp2, an excellent guide as to how to set it up was included in this month's pcw magazine. Just be warned, I've read it's very picky about what hardware it chooses to work with, you'll need to check your system components are compatible before you take the plunge. It is supposed to be very good if you can be bothered to go through all the trouble however.

power dvd is better.... but cant do things mce can do, and vice versa... i use only use mce intercae for tv. If your gonna use a dvb card make sure it has bde drivers, as that only drivers mce will support

ps... its based on xp home sp2, not xp pro :P

about checking it for hardware requirements.... you could install a "copy" of it to see if it ok b4 purchaese ;P if u dont mind installign twice... to use tv goide u have to enter ur postcode btw.

hmm i like it .. its prolly the best bit of ms stuff ive used .. im going to buy it as i want the remote control ..
i have a problem with playing divX and Xvix movies as it says (there is an error with your video driver or somthing )
but the interface and music picture etc funtions are great . im looking at what else you can do with it now ..
if anyine knows how to get codecs working that would be great ...or if you can get a third party remote control for it .....

I use the remote that came with my dvb-t card (hauupauge) and just edited the controls .ini file to add keypresses to control mce. Codecs work fine here with mce, watched tons of stuff on it, altho sometimes i do prefer winamp :P