XP Freezing UT???

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I'm hopefully getting a new PC soon and it will predictably come with XP. I use Win98 atm so I think I'll just ditch XP off the hard drive and reinstall 98 over it, cos with 98 I never had any problems.

Why did people choose XP over 98 anyway? If it ain't broke, don't fix it :/

Well useless, for me WinXP is much more stable (not with ut:P:) But I wanted to show my other pc specs were i found out that there was a huge performance drop in ut with WinXP. My system was: Athlon 1.1,512mb Sdram,G-force 2 64 mb, 40 Gb 7200 rpm Hard Disk. You see i had 512 mb memery but still i noticed a fucking performance drop:(

I can back up Paa and Ajax's views with solid evidence. When I upgraded my system to XP1500, Rad 8500LE, 256DDR ram and XP Pro I found UT ran very badly, frame rates would drop off dramatically and sometimes the game would stutter and freeze for short periods of time. I tried everything - drivers, settings, fresh formats etc (note: this system was bought brand new, ready built and was fully formatted before I even installed XP). Nothing sorted it out and I was resigned to my new system being shit - until I put another 256 ram in. Immediately every problem I'd been having was sorted out. The ram was also brand new and PC2100 so I though 256 would be fine, guess not.

I did some careful analysis and although this seems to vary greatly between systems on average while running default windows settings and a game such as UT, although at average performce you wil be fine, if you have any sort of resource usage that spikes above average you will run out of ram and get slow-down problems. 256 is fine for 98, but if you are using XP for gaming you really need 512 to ensure you don't run into any problems that are ram related.

If anyone is having problems with slow-down / short freezes while playing UT and is running 256mb
I would strongly recommend sticking in another 256mb and seeing what effect that has (obviously after checking drivers etc are up to date). Price of ram these days isn't exactly gonna break the bank anyway :D

i find that sound is not very good on ut1 with windows xp, takes along time to get it right by restarting loads :\ any ideas on how to stop this??

Originally posted by Spirit
I can back up Paa and Ajax's views with solid evidence. When I upgraded my system to XP1500, Rad 8500LE, 256DDR ram and XP Pro I found UT ran very badly, frame rates would drop off dramatically and sometimes the game would stutter and freeze for short periods of time. I tried everything - drivers, settings, fresh formats etc (note: this system was bought brand new, ready built and was fully formatted before I even installed XP). Nothing sorted it out and I was resigned to my new system being shit - until I put another 256 ram in. Immediately every problem I'd been having was sorted out. The ram was also brand new and PC2100 so I though 256 would be fine, guess not.

I did some careful analysis and although this seems to vary greatly between systems on average while running default windows settings and a game such as UT, although at average performce you wil be fine, if you have any sort of resource usage that spikes above average you will run out of ram and get slow-down problems. 256 is fine for 98, but if you are using XP for gaming you really need 512 to ensure you don't run into any problems that are ram related.

If anyone is having problems with slow-down / short freezes while playing UT and is running 256mb
I would strongly recommend sticking in another 256mb and seeing what effect that has (obviously after checking drivers etc are up to date). Price of ram these days isn't exactly gonna break the bank anyway :D

Problem is, there are ppl who are running with 256 mb ram and winXP and do not have any problems. Stiffler for example, he has 256mb Ram, a P3 866mhz and a GF2 and his UT has always ran fine using XP, he does use OpenGL so perhaps that helps, i dunno.

So on just ur evidence id say its difficult to point at the 256mb of RAM and blame it for lack of performance, imo :)

FiLTHEE, do u have an older sound card? like a SBlive or older for example? as ive seen such issues with XP and this card. I dont know of a fix myself tho.

Edit: I just remembered that Tim (stiffler) is using RDRAM, this is better than the slower DDR stuff (2100 etc) so perhaps this gives him an edge, so maybe his example isnt applicable here, im not sure :)

Last edited:
FiLTHEE, do u have an older sound card? like a SBlive or older for example? as ive seen such issues with XP and this card. I dont know of a fix myself tho

the kx project drivers will clear up any problems with ut and these cards, link in non ut forum