XP and DNS errors

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Mr_Bungle

Gimpy White-Death Blackouts?I'm ye man.
Jun 8, 2001
Nottingham,UK
I installed XP pro as a upgrade from 98 se.Everything went great until after installing my adsl modem and connecting to pipex.I was connected all right but no info was being passed through.DNS errors on IE,and not connected messages on icq,mirc etc.

The DNS and ip is set up automatically normally.And i couldn't get on the pipex site to check them because my 56k modem had the same problem,no info getting through but connecting ok.

I fucked around with settings for a couple of hours and prepared myself for a format when i realised you could just uninstall xp and go back to your old OS ;) My conn is fine again now on 98se.

Anyone got any ideas why this happened?Thing is XP was really rather good,and 98 feels cluncky and crap now.

Any help(along with the usual "Binge is a useless gimp etc" comments) , will be greatly appriciated :D

and i quote:
"Binge is a useless gimp etc"
:D

i'm not sure.. as i don't actually have ADSL and am not familiar with British telecomm companies, but you were probably given a sheet from a technician or just from Pipex with some information including IP (if you have a static one), etc, and DNS servers.. you could probably try using these rather than the automatic settings by going to control panel-> network connections-> then selecting your connection -> rightclick-> properties->tcpip->manually configure or sth i think and manually putting in what that gives you.. for me my default gateway has been my ip except with a 1 replacing the last set of digits. then manually put in the 1 or 2 DNS servers your isp gave you

its a guess, but hey.. its half/quarter educated i spose

Bungle welcome to the wonderfull world of winding up Andy ;) may your downloads be quick and your frags be swift, as for xp it has its own byilt in firswall which is shite sometimes if not patched up this can cause those sorta probs maybe...oh and

Binge is a useless gimp

Binge m8. I think I might be able to help with this one. You need to get a friend around (if indeed you have any) to have a look at this for you. Ideally this friend must have a brain somewhat larger than your own surprisingly tiny example. If he or she (although in your case I believe a 'she' friend would be highly unlikely) has any knowledge of networking in XP then this would be a considerable advantage.

Hope this helps m8.

Thanks guys,your half brained guesses have not only solved every problem i've ever had on a PC but also cured world hunger,stopped the conflict in Isreal AND put a man on Mars!!

Good Work :D

btw did you have a disk with your adsl setup? It might be a conflict between win 9x drivers that are still sitting in your system after the OS upgrade and the NT/XP drivers that you will need with XP. Try uninstalling them before the OS upgrade and then installing the right ones.

Just a thought and I really am trying to help this time cos you've made me feel so guilty.

First thig is NEVER UPGRADE DO A FULL INSTALL YOU MUPPET

second thing is your better settinmg up all your connection settngs yourself (i have found) i would contact your ISP find out ther DNS ips and input them manually its a simple job
and it usually get rid of any crap they put on your system from there CD EASY INSTALL MAYET I DONT TALK ABOUT CHARRADEY MAYET.

Give us an ICQ if your still fucked and ill baby step you thru it ;)