wowexec???

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Twonko

Love God
Jun 8, 2001
UK
In my XP task manager, I get a process running called
{space}wowexec (space being just a space). If I shut it down, nothing seems to happen. Every time I boot, there it is. No mention of it in the registry. Anyone got any ideas what it is?

Some Program starts in the NTVDM and leaves a WOWEXEC open

NTVDM = NT Virtual Desk Manager (or sumthing)

WOWEXEC = Windows On Windows Executive (or sumthing)

Nothing to care about, i think a 16Bit Application started and did not close properly, or did not close it´s Application Space properly (that´s why the wowexec is left)

Don´t worry, it´s not a bug, it´s a feature :P

Wowexec is part of the Windows O/S system, just leave it running. Someone asked about this on IRC the other day. Leave it alone! :freak:

well w2k at leas dont mind if you kill it

To be correct,

NTVDM = Windows New Technology Virtual Dos Machine

Wowexec is part of the Windows O/S system, just leave it running. Someone asked about this on IRC the other day. Leave it alone!
Bah, kill it whenever u like, wowexec is not needed by the main windows o/s system, it´s only needed for lame-ass applications (i.e. 16Bit) :D

What u should be looking for if u run ZApro is vsmon, its a zonealarm file.But it can get stuck sometimes and when that happens it takes up 80% of the cpu time.lol