wot OS?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Wot OS?

• Windows XP

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • Windows 2k

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Sum other shit, pls reply.

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
XP is the shitter. It's a piece of piss to hack, and it wastes valuable system rescources with that gay Mac-style GUI WIMP system.
2K all the way.

it runs (over) half the servers I play on cuz it's stable enough to do so, while Windows is a bitch to run something that has to be stable on :rolleyes:

Win xp pro for home use nothing better at moment

for UT servers win nt/2k

Originally posted by Menace
what's even nicer is that I'll get it for the original warehouse price. cheap cheap :naughty:

where where, i need a new proc too, can you settle some thing for me 2;)

oh and ontopic: Just use winxp pro. It never crashes for me.

Well linux sucks for UT servers but its free and does'nt crash often + use much resources probably why they use it but it aint a good os for hosting UT servers

windows xp, nothing seriously wrong with it.
u can go for linux if ya want. in the long run its gr8, but its a bitch to configure at first, even with "user friendly" distros like Mandrake Linux.

Originally posted by Phear
I see Humph is showing his complete lack of knowledge on the subject again.

Re: what exactly? About windows XP, he's pretty much dead on, certainly if your talking about it in its default configuration. All the fancy GUI effects which are turned on by default waste system resources.

There are any number of websites out there telling you which services that are loaded by default can safely be turned off to free up resources and improve security.

And this simply sets out the latest massive security holes in every current verion of Windows - namely an admission by MS themselves that their own security & firewall software is full of holes.

Not saying that an incorrectly configured linux box is any different, but, much as it pains me to have to say this, Humph hasn't actually said anything incorrect yet phil...

It's a piece of piss to hack

Not if you keep up to date with the patches. Its no more easy to hack than Win2k really (assuming you patch up Win2k aswell), yet he expressly implies in his post that Win2k is better.

and it wastes valuable system rescources

And what do you call wasting resources? Sure it uses more than Win2k if you have all the eye candy on, but thats isn't wasting resources, they are clearly being used to give a nicer GUI. If you consider using resources on a pretty GUI a waste, then you can turn stuff off.

with that gay Mac-style GUI WIMP system.

This is the stupidest remark of them all. The Windows GUI is absolutely nothing like the Mac's, although with some theme tweaking and apps it can be made to look and act more like it, the Mac GUI and the WinXP GUI are very different.

So as you can see yes I think he is wrong in everything he says (except that Win2k is better than WinXP, that is purely subjective and depends on your requirements) and jumps to ill informed conclusions based on "web gossip", I doubt he's even used a Mac.

Fair enough, if you spend a few hours buggering around with the settings and spend a few more hours downloading painfully big updates that do suprisingly little in relation to their size, then it's ok... Or you could run win2K in the first place and have something equally good without spending the best part of a day fiddling with settings.

ummm if you don't download any patches for Win2k you'll be in exactly the same position as you would be with an unpatched WinXP, both are very insecure as they come off the disk (unless your disk has service pack pre-installed).

As for turning off all the fancy GUI settings, well I'll give you that, but as I said it depends what you want from an OS. I think most people will take the nicer more customisable interface at the expense of some possible slight slowdown.

Indeed i always thought xp was just a improved win2k and it shows if u dont like the fancy gui it takes about 10 seconds to turn it all off mine came with sp's pre installed too so basicially 30 minute install and i could start using the computer... installed gfx drivers and the intel aplication accelerator and that was about it for me

have'nt pld around with win2k for a while but from what i remember it does run faster and consume slghtly less resouces but who gives a fucking shit ? most people now a days have pc's easily capable of handling these os's and playing games without any problems.