World In Conflict...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Holy shit, released already? Im getting it.

From what I can tell from the trailers its far from C&C:G...

Communism is cool too.

I got it installed, but haven't pld it yet. I know html has been playing the demo quite a lot, he had mostly good feedback on it.
It has quite an interesting way of mutliplayer, similar to FPS (UT) quick action style, very different from traditional RTS.
Let me know what you think, I'll start playing it soon.

Just played the first SP mission and it's very similar to C+C:G. The camera is tricky to get the hang of but so far it doesn't seem like the typical build base and attack sort of thing. Pretty exciting game so far :chainsaw:

It's more of an action-RTS than anything else. For example, you can apparantly go online and just hop into an existing game, buy some units and start fighting. Sounds really cool, and if my lappy could handle it I'd have it already :)

YES FUCK YES THAT GAME IS PWNAGE

i was also quite impressed by the recent company of heroes but i must say world in conflict with equivalent graphics or even better (when you can have high settings i ran both games at the lowest graphics settings :( ) world in conflict lags much less and the point of view is greater the graphics are very good too really feels like cities and streets and stuff much more then c&c generals...

the camera is a bit tricky but being quite fond of quality RTS games (dune II, warcraft II/III starcraft, all the age of empires 3 less so 2 ftw + age of mythology, rise of nations/legends, empire earth1, red alert 1 and 2 and tiberian sun and tiberium wars, and more recently company of heroes and world in conflict) i must say i really appreciated it and find it a pretty good innovation to the genre (just like empire earth (afaik) introduced "zoom in" used in every rts since then)

lemme just make a list of pros and cons..

pros of the game:
1- its an RTT (go wikipedia!) (real time tactical) not an rts, all u care about is troops and not much of them usually but believe me its not boring you still have a lot of stuff to keep u busy (see point 4)
2- graphics + environment are really good and very well coded so even "crappier" machines can run it ok
3- the camera is, as far as i know, unique in its style, you move it around with wasd and have full view of every angle, almost feels like a shooter at some point, a bit weird but i def like it; really gets you in the game
like looking on the minimap seeing there are incoming baddies from the right and then moving your mouse to the right of the screen and using "w" and "d" to speed up you progress to the source of threat almost like you would in a shooter does feel pretty sweet
4- it takes "general powers" to a whole new level, i believe c&c generals was the first to introduce these "clickable off map powers" and ive always liked that, rise of legends also have those and are pretty cool same with coh and c&c3, but mannnn this game takes it WAY beyond anything else (afaik) in most maps you earn points for shooting at enemy people and those go to "artillery support" and you get to choose which ones you want to use... cant describe them all but they own like hell and keep you busy using it, they need a lot of timing and skill since most of the "strikes" take 10 seconds or more to happend (so hitting moving troops can be hard)
5- the story is nice, its fiction but totally doesnt feel like it, red alert felt way out of line with tesla coils and time machines and stuff but this one really feels..... real like the russians really invaded seattle, the storyline sorta makes sense, there are also personal characters that are a bit cheesy but not too much and overall i was quite delighted with the singleplayer, one character does surprise you in the story (in a good way i found)

cons of the game:
1- its an RTT not an RTS so if u really like to gather ressources and build defences and bases and stuff this isnt your game
2- the graphics to be seen beautifully do need a pretty good computer
3- the camera may be hard to learn at first
4- the generals powers can sometimes be frustrating when for example your A-10 Thunderbolt II anti tank aircraft strike misses the tank(s) by like 5 meters and then the game provides a variety of random insults for not hitting anything with your "power"
5- the game is too easy, at "normal" difficulty setting I had no real problem to run through the game, i did have to redo a single mission 3 times but thats about it, I guess i just made good tactical decisions on to which units to buy ??? (my tip here, when all you have is infantry mass anti-tank infantry, for tanks mission 4 heavy 2 medium and 1 repair tank is massive ftw, oh and heavy attack helicopters WHENEVER u can cuz they are very vulnerable but they pack a punch and are very fast moving so when your in trouble and need help fast somewhere helicopters are ftw)
anyway all this to say coh and c&c3 were harder so i was a tad disapointed at the game balence but its still VERY enjoyable, 16 missions of about 30 minutes each.

if any of you is curious about 1 of my points i can elaborate more :P

Last edited:
I dont like it very much due to the handling with the camera.

I'd be more ready to play it if the camera had some sort of follow mode, but as it is I hate heaving it around and trying to remember which key does what.

The airstrikes and so on are great but it seems like they can be used far too often. Is there anything to stop you just moving from objective ot objective and doing nothing but calling in aistrikes and artillery every time?

Alec Baldwin is really good as the narrator, and the voice acting everyewhere else really pulls you into the game. It's non-stop action and drama - no hanging around in peace while you wait for your barracks to be built or whatever. And the cities are much better than the ones in Generals. Luckily I do have a decent PC now, so the game runs great, which is well worth it.

The airstrikes and so on are great but it seems like they can be used far too often. Is there anything to stop you just moving from objective ot objective and doing nothing but calling in aistrikes and artillery every time?

hmmm yes and no... it depends on the missions, but you do use them ALOT more then in any other game before in most missions id say at least 20% of the casualties are inflicted through artillery support..... and in some missions this can go up to even 90% when they give you full access to everything u want and the russians mass attack.

my personal favorites are napalm x 3 cuz its very cheap and can clear forests ok or "lockdown" some side of the battlefield for a lil while, heavy artillery either x1 or x3 depending on how many directions they are coming at you (make sure no friendlys are in the aoe -_- ) and last but not least precision artillery that kinda pwns, thats for singleplayer there are a lot more u can choose from but i prefered these 3

online u also get access to the heavy ones like carpet bombing and .... nukes 80 for one 120 for 2 160 for 3... heres a screenshot of an online game where a guy on my team had launched 3 nukes (2 shown on the screen the next one was coming in 4 seconds later)
wicgr2.jpg

and yeah the graphics are crap but thats the lowest setting in everything of the game...

and a small thing that made me fall for the game completly is this bit of polish they added..... once a nuke is blown, not only does it rape everything from apaches to heavy tanks to buildings to trees in a HUGE aoe, theres also a big radioactive cloud standing on the ground (under the mushroom and you can actually see it if u look up :o) and whenever u get your camera near it a geiger counter sound starts popping up in your ears, the closer you get the bigger the sound gets, pretty cool imo

and about the camera, imo learn to use it, its different but once your used to it, it works wonders its really just wasd and your mouse you dont need any more keys then that :/

What a great game - Just played for like 10 hours straight.

and how can you complain on the camera? It's perfected.