Windows "Fuck Sake!!!" (Note: Rant)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Humph

<a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_tro
Jan 7, 2003
A padded cell
Apparantly the rich bastards at Microsoft are making another wank operating system in the mould of XP, called WindowsFS.

Windows "Fuck Sake!!!", or "Windows Future Storage" as they like to call it, will introduce a completely new file system, replacing the NTFS and FAT systems that are used today.....

I'm not a computer genius, but won't this produce HUGE compatability problems between the new and old operating systems?
Seems to me like Microsoft want to force us to buy their shit again.

Whatever happened to DOS. :shake:

This is supposedly due to be released in 2004-2005, and it's release will signal the end of Microsoft's support for Windows XP, which, unless I am very wrong, means they wont't be giving out liscences for it, thus forcing any XP user to pay for an XP upgrade, or get a completely new OS all together, which, even then, will probably be another Microsoft OS.

This "idea" obviously means yet MORE money for Microsoft's bottomless bank account, and more bullying of the general public.

We're near enough forced to use one of Microsoft's OS's...I mean... Linux is hardly an alternative because it's about as compatable as an antichrist in a baptist church.

Microsoft can do almost whatever the fuck it wants and get away with it because, quite simply, it has a monopoly.
There is next to no competition in it's primary market sector at all, and its impossible for anyone to try and move into this market now that Microsoft has it's big greasy hands on it.....Sure, Linux has had considerable success, coming from being a somewhat laughable attempt by a group of anti-microsoft religous radical jihad bringing freedom fighting kernel scriptors, to a half-decent OS, which is now fairly popular....... or as a server for websites and online games, due to the fact that it's less likely to crash..... but.... imo, this is as far as it will really go...

I heard of some "Lindows" thing, which would combine the stability of Linux with the compatability of Windows... but I don't think this will work, especailly if it's done in collaboration with Microsoft (Which I'm guessing it must be, if they are allowed to have the word "Windows" in its slogan).

....And that concludes my mini-rant.

...Oh, and here's a link to some info about Windows "Fuck Sake!!!" http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-998598.html#

eh. k. i don't see what the whole rant thing is about there.

introducing a new file system? well gee golly garsh, however shall we cope.

ntfs was really only introduced to the home market in windows xp home (really was 2k), and it was a much improved file system. to me, WinFS (which is the name of the file system, not the OS, which is codenamed Longhorn) seems to have a great deal of potential as it incorporates modern 'database techniques'.

i didn't see anything about not supporting previous versions of Windows. i'm sure microsoft would be happy to send out additional licenses to XP.

meanwhile, the issue over compatibility. theres a few things to consider - #1 as far as i can see (and i'm obviously not a sys admin or anything), but the only real issue with a new, previously unsupported file system is the fact that file sharing/file servers might get screwed up, but it wouldn't matter, as i would assume Longhorn will at least be able to understand NTFS, because i'm also guessing thats what the leaks are funning on #2 other servers i would imagine would cooperate fine with the clients, as i've known businesses with linux/2k servers to have clients running Win9x, which obviously doesn't support the same file systems necessarily. #3 not many large businesses instantly upgrade all their computers to the latest and greatest; in fact, few do on a large scale. servers may recieve new OS's, but i highly doubt a large company is going to put so much money down simply to have a new version of windows. its not cost effective. i know some are still finally transitioning to 2k or XP, so its not an issue so much. #4 how else would u expect things to progress?

on the issue of linux: yeah, its not highly compatible, and for the most part its left to the servers and hardcore computer types. lindows is supposed to be about interface or something. personally, i could see a more developed version of linux becoming popular in a few years.

so yeah, blah. i didn't put much thought into this :D

edit: ps: zdnet smells

Last edited:
1. Your comments about "paying" for the OS are pretty funny hump - lost track of the number of times you've boasted on the forums about your 1337 w4r3z skills. So don't come the hard up student bit with us...

2. Never used linux, have you? It shows.

3. No-one forces you or anyone else to buy MS products. If more people didn't, MS would lose market share hand over fist and actually have to compete on innovation and attention to customers again...

:D

Originally posted by Thuringwethil
1. Your comments about "paying" for the OS are pretty funny hump - lost track of the number of times you've boasted on the forums about your 1337 w4r3z skills. So don't come the hard up student bit with us...

2. Never used linux, have you? It shows.

3. No-one forces you or anyone else to buy MS products. If more people didn't, MS would lose market share hand over fist and actually have to compete on innovation and attention to customers again...

:D

1. Yea, that was bullshit tbh... I don't think I've ever ...."paid" for Windows.

2. I have used Linux. I have Mandrake 7.0 on one of my computers, and I used to have Coyote Linux functioning as a router.

3. Microsoft's idea of "Innovation" is a new version of the start menu, some memory hogging eye candy and a few bug fixes.

isnt WinFS just a glorifide Datbase filesystem .. basically having all the files in one basket and pulling out the one requested.. afaik and as reported on some apple sites it very simler to the database style OS that Apple designed back in 85 and was then taken and modified into Palm it "SHOULD" make windows quicker and easier to use aswell as loosing file extension as they are now...

from what ive read :)

Originally posted by Humph

3. Microsoft's idea of "Innovation" is ... and a few bug fixes.

Such a poor and obvious fib. Since when did Microsoft ever admit to there being bugs in their software, far less fix any?

:rofl:

new fs - bah!

They ought to port Reiserfs (www.reiserfs.org) to win32 - get some decent performance. Database filesystems are (flamealert!) an abomination :D
But that aside, obviously, as always, they (MS) want something that they own the rights to and can charge everyone else for using or being compatible to - besides the phobia of open source or admitting that someone makes something better.
ReiserFS is free, open sourced, and, you may like this or not, co-sponsored by (us)DARPA.
It is a fast, spaceefficient journalling FS. Faster and better than NTFS, FAT32 and ext2fs (to name the usual suspects) and a number of current unix filesystems.

linux is the most powerful OS ever IMO.
it is open source and has a massive community behind it. the one problem with linux is that people are too afraid to wander out of the grasp of m$, and lazy ppl wont like the modification u can make.

Errr, winFS is going to be the new winfows file system, not OS . LMAO!

MS dont even have a name for the new windows yet, probably cause there new OS isnt even in alpha stages yet!

The new OSes 'current' name is Windows codename longhorn, but thats the codename, not what it will finish up as.

So, humph, your news isnt OLD, its BULLSHIT ;)

Yeah, your rant is justified about Microsoft in some ways, yes they do have a grip over the desktop market. However, new filesystems will not break compatibility if you are clued up.

You see, the widespread use of the desktop PC is all thanks to Microsoft, Apple and IBM. They are major players, and between them trillions of $/£ as we know has been turned over in the past couple of decades. The ease of use of Windows has been a major innovation in itself. Add to that the devil of marketing and business management Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer and your off.

They offered the noose to go around your necks a long time ago, and people put them on happily because they could use a computer and be productive without having to do a degree first. Now Microsoft begin to tighten, and everyones screaming. There are options, people use them everyday. However you need to learn and understand a computer if you want to use it your own way. Otherwise, you need the suppliers of that O/S to make a level of abstraction, so it's not too complicated for you - so you don't mess things up too easily and render your system unusable.

Linux is Unix, with the same method and approach taken. Take the user away from the hardcore things which are actually happening in a computer and present them with an easier way to do it. It's the same for programming, people using C++, java, etc compilers are using an abstraction layer to do low level coding. Just the same as if you move your mouse, you aren't doing a great deal in computer terms, your just interacting with the computer in way you can understand.

So, the choice is yours. If you want to go with the flow, Microsoft will float you (for most of the time). If you want to make your own way there, you gotta start building your boat after you've learnt how too. And then you have to maintain it or else you'll sink.

Don't ask me why I am on about sailing... must be something to do with the fact that our bathroom is leaking through the ceiling downstairs :shout:

And we moan about technology because it doesn't work - yet we never saviour it when it does work. Work in IT support for a while and you'll soon find people don't usually thank you when things are working. You didn't thank me at the end of the post you made? Did you? But you would have moaned if it had of taken you 20 minutes just to post your reply. Thats the negativity of users, people and mankind in general.

Originally posted by MrMercenary
Whats a good linux distro for a beginner?

Toss up between Red Hat, SuSE and Mandrake. Mandrake is probably the "simplest" to use, but SuSE has a fantastic installer and the widest hardware support I think...

Originally posted by DNY
atm most beginners start off with mandrake linux because of it user friendliness.
yup. Once you have partioned your harddrive to your needs you can hardly make a (dangerous) mistake during installation.

Originally posted by Martz
So, the choice is yours. If you want to go with the flow, Microsoft will float you (for most of the time). If you want to make your own way there, you gotta start building your boat after you've learnt how too. And then you have to maintain it or else you'll sink.
You are being unfair in MS's favour. There are alternatives that dont require you to roll your own.
And sinking? I guess you are referring to patches for errors and security flaws. Arguably it still takes more knowhow to apply patches to unix systems (esp. kernel patches) but they are at least provided quickly. Take, for example, a look at the seemingly endless line of msie, outlook and IIS vulnerabilities - if that is not need of maintenance...

The idea of "need to learn and understand a computer if you want to use it your own way" has its appeal. If its mandatory before trying to use it :D
uf004910.gif

Ur 15 right hump? How the hell do u know so much :p
U were born as nerd eh :p: :moon: