Windows 7

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

X-Bomb

Aug 16, 2001
London
I like windows XP, its so simple and easy!

I tried windows 7 RC release and didnt really like it (to be fair i didn't really give it much of a go).

I have a copy of windows 7 lying around and am considering to reinstall it again and give it another go (mainly because i want to use my i7 processor to its full ability and most programs will be optimised for win7) and was wondering if anyone who didn't like windows 7 at first but has found that it has grown on them?

is it really a good OS? is it fast?!

Well i've tried everything since XP, and really needed a new 64bit OS.. and tbh I thought exactly what you did.

It looked just like an upgraded version of Vista (which sucked). But I changed everything so much that it looks pretty much like XP, except with upgraded visuals. And tbh it works really good after a while and has better hardware support!

I can only recommend to hold on for a while ;)

What do you wanna do else?
You are forced to upgrade to Win7 anyway, no matter if you like it or not.

WinXP is outdated and when you've modern hardware there is no other option.

btw anyone has an idea how to get rid of the annoying shadow copy of installed updates?

WinXP is great and will be supported by MS till 2014... and there are always drivers out... in fact if you ain't need DX10 then WinXP will do fine... (and if you really need x64 then try XP VErsion of it - i really loved it - was almost perfect).

If you want some grapic enhancements and DX10 or DX11 then you need Vista or Win7... well Vista was buggy as hell when it was released... now it's fine - and controlable like XP. Win7 was from the start like Vista is now, very rare Bugs. Also Win7 is programmed better and need less Resources...

So if you have to choice between Vista and Win7 go for Win7. It's really good - but i don't see why not use XP (unless DX10).

Well that the Win7 has a lot of driver included is a nice gift... but in most cases you need to update drivers anyway after the Install of Win7...

And Win7 and Vista come with a lot of "Mircosoft helps you to slow down your computer". In XP it's just a one-klick-programm to shut all this bullshit stuff off... in Win7/Vista you need to learn what crap is running and how to disable it (in many cases manually).

I would go Dualboot - keep XP and start Win7 - and every time you get the nervs to use Win7 use it... in a couple of sessions you'll only use the Win7...

But to keep XP at a small partition isn't that bad... there are plenety of software out that you can't run at Vista/Win7 and XP will do it ;)

Btw is use Vistax64 and really like it - no PRoblems at all...

btw anyone has an idea how to get rid of the annoying shadow copy of installed updates?

http://www.drwindows.de/windows-anl...llungspunkte-und-schattenkopien-loeschen.html

really google it Bart :P

i would turn off System Restore Points allways (XP,Vista,Win7) they mostly not help when you really need them, need a lot of Disk Space and are not replace a real BACKUP.

A restore Point takes me a lot of time to "try to repair" and then fail ... a complete reinstall of Vista with all my Programms and latest changes take me 20 mins... so better do a good Backup ;) also helps at HDD crash/ Virus infection etc...

WinXP is great and will be supported by MS till 2014... and there are always drivers out... in fact if you ain't need DX10 then WinXP will do fine... (and if you really need x64 then try XP VErsion of it
Noone said WinXP is bad, but the only real and usable version is the 32bit. And 32bit is outdated.

WinXP 64bit is like cancer. It's there but noone needs it and when you've it, you've problems.
Had to install several XP64bit machines at work and well: it's horrible.

really google it Bart
aye, that's what i always do :p:

i alrdy disabled the shadow copy feature, but Win7 still uses shadow copying for saving Install-information of Updates.
That's the negative point i've about Win7. You are not able to remove those annoying deinstallation routines, which makes your Win7 install bigger and bigger over time. Pish

XP32 is not outdated... why should it??! It will be updated till 2014 and most likely also after that...

And telling that XP64 is like cancer... well - NO! It's really great and the same like XP32 plus the x64 system performance... - well you have the same x64 issues like with Vista or Win7... i know that sometimes there are no drivers avaible, but it's only cause so few have XP64 that the Support is not showing "special" drivers for XP64 - but the x32 work aswell with x64 (and they are too lazy to say that :))

my "Problem" with Vista and Win7 is that you can't show folders with the folder-picture (folder.jpg) like in XP. The MS twats always used a "half open" icon where you can see the picture (but only half). Only workaround is to make a special icon for each folder with the picture and then set it... Noway i can do that for over 1000 folders manually... Any idea?!?

In Vista and in XP you was able to delete those routines, but not in Win7 anymore.

Run Disk Cleanup -> More options -> Cleanup System Restore and Shadow Copies
This method does NOT delete the crappy deinstallation routines of windows updates.

I tried it months ago on my both Win7 systems, but it still uses more and more space.
I did not install new software at all.
The first full image of my system was only 4.2GB big, now after months in use and uncountable windows updates it has grown to 5.4GB.
Systemrestore and shadow copying IS disabled ofc, also tempfiles are deleted.

System growth over time is an area where we need to provide more “transparency”. For instance, Windows will archive previous versions of updated system components to allow robust rollback. A new system will install patches as Windows Update makes them available, just as expected by design. As a Service Pack or other large update is installed that contains or supersedes any of the previous patches; we can simply recover the space used by the old updates sometime after the update is successfully installed.
So i've to wait until SP1? Hooray.

XP32 is not outdated... why should it??! It will be updated till 2014 and most likely also after that...
You kidding right?
well, maybe because there is an adressing limit on 32bit? That's why it's "outdated". Also XP is based on y technology made for early 2000ish.
Only because you can find drivers for new hardware doesnt mean that it's modern.

hell, you even have to manually load AHCI/SATA drivers when you wanna install XP on a machine that has SATA-HDDs (i might be wrong, but SATA is widely used since 2005).

And telling that XP64 is like cancer... well - NO!
Everything i expierenced with this system is like having cancer.
There are few drivers and when you find some, there are slow/buggy.
It's no coincidence that WinXP64 is so poorly suported, because it is poor overall.

Last edited:
hell, you even have to manually load AHCI/SATA drivers when you wanna install XP on a machine that has SATA-HDDs (i might be wrong, but SATA is widely used since 2005).

do you? i haven't done this! please tell me how.

I decided that windows XP isnt broken yet and will keep it for another year or so

it is your choice tho. When you are satisfied with WinXP why did you even considered Win7? :confused:

there's one big fat plus that speak for Win7: 64bit. (No sane person will upgrade XP32 to XP64, maybe except Derz :P)
If you are fine with <4GB (3.2Gb useable), then stick with XP until 2014.

But Enterprises even plan to upgrade, so at some point you'll be forced to work with Win7 anyway.
So "avoiding" Win7 wont work as it worked for Vista. :P

do you? i haven't done this! please tell me how.
Do i hear some kind of sarcasm? If not then:
the IDE mode aint the best option for modern SATA-drives. You'll have benefits if you use AHCi.

You cant just change the mode like that, the drivers are different. So if you change after an OS install itll bluescreen at boot.

In Vista and in XP you was able to delete those routines, but not in Win7 anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh View Post
Run Disk Cleanup -> More options -> Cleanup System Restore and Shadow Copies
This method does NOT delete the crappy deinstallation routines of windows updates.

No it doesn't, but that wasn't what you asked for though

pfffffff just include your SATA drivers to your XP disc... it's all over the inet for dummies... really that is not a reason... also in XPSP3 most drivers are already there... so wtf..

And Win7 is NOT x64 - thats not the reason... even Win7 x32 does only 3,2GB RAM... same for Vista. And hell yeah then your really fucked - cause Vista and Win7 both need much more RAM then XP...

only "reason" for Win7 is DX10/11 and pimped GUI

even software designed only for Vista/Win7 works on XP if you force it... (but NOT the other way round)

remember that not long ago all win7x64 users where fucked playing a PUG as ACE was not even started...

BTW UAC sucks at Win7 and Vista... thanks MS to add tons of crap noone asked for...

Just buy Hardware that is not rubbish no-name resells and you'll have the support of all drivers, XP-Vista-7 each x32 or x64 also Linux.

The fact that i got a "free" version of XP64 was that i used it... and i was moaning years ago that x64 will be the future... people where still arguing about "x64 only give a little performance boost" ...

Well depends... on Programms, but RAM was already short that days - cause 3,2GB RAM also includes GFX - so with a 512MB GFX u only had 2,7GB RAM...

But Enterprises even plan to upgrade, so at some point you'll be forced to work with Win7 anyway.

err why should they? Win7 needs more resoures than Xp, workers need to know new OS, admins need to handle new OS, is more expensive... XP will run till 2014 and then we can taalk over if its outdated...

:P

btw: so many ppl come to forums and have a new PC with Win7 and ask if they can do 4GB RAM and guess what... they still got the simple x32 version... so no - >4GB doesn't count for Win7... give a real reason to change in office use?!

Yeah right zonk. It's even possible to use NT4 on modern computers, but it's just not comfortable anymore. Although it will run "smooth" and fast, doesnt mean that NT4 would be a good choice.

pfffffff just include your SATA drivers to your XP disc... it's all over the inet for dummies... really that is not a reason... also in XPSP3 most drivers are already there... so wtf..
Yeah right, becuase normal mediocre PC users are able to do that or even know that this is possible.
When you wanna install WinXP on a modern PC then you are fucked.
You've to search ahci drivers. add them to a new made Win7-install image and reburn a starting DVD.
Yeah, very usable :nod:

And Win7 is NOT x64 - thats not the reason... even Win7 x32 does only 3,2GB RAM... same for Vista. And hell yeah then your really fucked - cause Vista and Win7 both need much more RAM then XP...
:tired:

did you even try Win7?
Win7 doesn not need much more RAM than a normal XP does (Dont get fooled by Superfetch and precaching).
And even when it takes 10% more, Win7 is the only reasonable way to get a windows 64bit system. Noone would and should buy XP64 or Vista 64bit nowadys anymore.

only "reason" for Win7 is DX10/11 and pimped GUI
Sorry but this is bollox. Win7 (and even Vista) has some neat features (libraries, better searching, HAL-independ, window lock, new taskbar, qick filesystem browsing, etc),
You can add those features to XP via transformation packs, but then it runs slow and crap.

cause 3,2GB RAM also includes GFX - so with a 512MB GFX u only had 2,7GB RAM...
wrong. 3.2GB no matter which GFX. You ever heard of memory remap?
Also even without it, i got 3.1GB with a 640MB GFX.

remember that not long ago all win7x64 users where fucked playing a PUG as ACE was not even started...
How could MS dare to fuck up PUG players? :nono:
becuse a game that was made 1999 is a reasonable argument against modern software.

Back in 2002 i loved to play NFS4 (made in 1999), but the game did not run under XP.
So software incapatibilies on new OS was and are always there.

err why should they? Win7 needs more resoures than Xp, workers need to know new OS, admins need to handle new OS, is more expensive... XP will run till 2014 and then we can taalk over if its outdated...
True. gladly cooperation also refused to upgrade from NT4 to XP so we are all working with a nice and perfromant OS called NT4......oh wait.

Enterprises upgrade to Win7 because it's about time. They got modern PC over years and still ahve to work with a "oldschool" 32bit version of XP.
Also WIN7 gives new control for Administrators.

And it does not need such a powerful machine, like Vista did when it was published.

give a real reason to change in office use
Due to new features i listed above. Some use it, some does not. It always depends.
But when you are able to use them you'll expierence benefits.

....i just go into the bios and set achi yes?
try it and you'll see what you get :P