Windows 7 rc available

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

At work i am using ultimatebootcd: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Just burn it to a CD and boot from it, then you've tons of good testing tools.
Memtest aint that hard. Just select it and follow the instructions ;)

There is nothing to select though.

Nothing in either folder or .rar file that can be used to actually run the damn thing. I have put the CD in (well DVD since I didn't have any CDs) and changed the BIOS to boot from CD and it just boots straight into Windows without prompting me if I would like to boot using CD.

That was what I downloaded.

Normally if you burn the iso on a CD (use Imgburn or nero for that, and dont drag & dop it with Winzip :nono: ) it will boot.

Overall i would advice you to burn the ultimatebootcd, because then you can test more components and with different programs (yes even Memtest :P).

Last edited:
Burn those files as an image cd Proto and then make sure the pc boots from the CD first when you reboot.

Well for some reason the program now runs on a boot. My 3 options are:

1) Boot V3.5 Single CPU (Default)

2) Boot V3.5 Multi CPU (Experimental)

3) Boot V3.4 (Previous Version)

I have a quad core CPU, so I'm assuming I need to select option number 2? as I've already done that but nothing seems to happen on the screen that following.

Never ever used MultiCPU, just used single, even on DualCores, so i assume that doesnt matter much :P

Also you can run 3.4, even that doesnt matter much

Prot those errors messages I would usually associate with driver faults (you are missing the codes that proceed them), whether it be a buggy driver, conflict or something in the hardware causing issues such as memory as suggested.

Prot those errors messages I would usually associate with driver faults (you are missing the codes that proceed them), whether it be a buggy driver, conflict or something in the hardware causing issues such as memory as suggested.

Well the PC restarts before I can read the full details of the BSOD. I managed to write down where the dump files were saved to but am unable to open them with anything. Event viewer has provided this tho:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff88002c6402a). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 061309-15350-01.

Code:
param1 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff88002c6402a) 
param2 C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP 
param3 061309-15350-01

I would attach the .dmp file(s) but Windows won't let me do anything with them despite me having full control.

Last edited:
i seriously cant understand why automatically reboot is still teh defaultvalue in windows.

to prevent a reboot when a BSOD appears and read the failurecode without hurry do the followign steps:

Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Systemproperties -> Advanced -> Startup and recovery -> properites -> deactivate teh checkbox at autoamtically perform reboot

i seriously cant understand why automatically reboot is still teh defaultvalue in windows.

to prevent a reboot when a BSOD appears and read the failurecode without hurry do the followign steps:

Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Systemproperties -> Advanced -> Startup and recovery -> properites -> deactivate teh checkbox at autoamtically perform reboot

You need windbg to be able to analyse the dmp files, easier to send it to someone who already has it installed and knows how to use it.
Send a few dmps to see if its the same issue causing the problem or random, if its the same thing every time then its software fault, if its random then Id start looking at hardware and then software.

You need windbg to be able to analyse the dmp files, easier to send it to someone who already has it installed and knows how to use it.
Send a few dmps to see if its the same issue causing the problem or random, if its the same thing every time then its software fault, if its random then Id start looking at hardware and then software.

Well I've managed to find what looks like the windows debugger for x-64 but when I tell it to open a dump file, all I get is loads of errors saying that "Your debugger is not using the correct symbols". Whatever that means:confused: Although at the very bottom is says:

Probably caused by: afd.sys (afd+202a)

I have tried to upload the dump files onto a hosting site but still get the permission error and telling me to contact the local administrator.

A quick google on afd.sys BSOD and it seems its related to my NIC. Since my NIC is onboard, I'm guessing a BIOS upgrade is needed? Seems weird how this is caused by simplying installing a new OS. Has been fine for a year and a half.

whats your mobo ect

ASUS P5K SE
Chipset: P35/G33/G31

BIOS Version: 0401
Date: 19/07/2007

The above was all taken from cpu-z. Yes I know, BIOS is nearly 2 years old, but I've previously never had any problems and flashing the BIOS is something I ain't done before.

Sorry missed your pms earlier Prot

I would look at the nic drivers, that file is assocaited with networking within the OS. Think its Realtek, so look on www.realtek.com.tw, othrwise can be something that is related to networking such as a 3rd party firewall

Sorry missed your pms earlier Prot

I would look at the nic drivers, that file is assocaited with networking within the OS. Think its Realtek, so look on www.realtek.com.tw, othrwise can be something that is related to networking such as a 3rd party firewall

Well device manager tells me my NIC is Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base T Controller. On realtek's website I go to Downloads -> Comunications Network ICs -> Network Interface Controllers -> Then the top option (I'm assuming this is right?) -> PCI -> Software but then I dunno which to select.

go into device manager and get it to auto search it sometimes finds updated drivers

Maybe it's cause it's late and I'm tried, but I can't seem to find the option to auto search for new drivers. I can check for hardware changes and that's about it.