Which RAM?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

The first 2 are both the same I think, just that second of them has heat sinks.

The Third link is to different RAM, its PC2700 and CL2 - which might mean your friend isn't getting the best RAM.

Depending on the spec of their machine, depends on if they should either go for #1 or #3

if the price differences dont matter to you, then the 2nd one is best.
The last one is generally slower (333 MHz as opposed to 400 MHz of the other two (DDR)), so I wouldnt recommend that (compared to the other 2 of course - not saying its generally bad memory!)

The diff between the first and 2nd one should be better timings for the 2nd one, I think the TwinX series is some sort of Quality series from Corsair.
Both the first and 2nd are a 2x512 MB Kit so Dual-Channel compatibility is guaranteed with these as well. (The 3rd one is 1x512 MB so theres no Dual Channel to worry about ;) ).

Too bad that shop doesnt provide information about timings, only CAS Latency and frequency. :\

edit: if price matters a little, you can safely go for the 1st one. The difference to the 2nd one is there but its rather small, if youre not a so called "gaming enthusiast with lots of bucks and the need to have the uber PC", you'll be ok with the 1st offer.

Last edited:
hey, thansk guys, ive registered with the forums so can post now

think i'll go with the second one, but will it run with with a amd athlon 3200+ processor? and a A7N8X motherboard? as in; running fully without needing to hold back.

Last edited:
amd 3200+
u will deffinetly need a DDR 400 then... as martz said, depends on money/gamer type...
for games: pick 2
for money: pick 1 (unless u wanting to spend much money ;))

the ones i mentioned are ok price wise. and i would call myself a gamer, so would be number 2 i think then. but its fine for me to run that ram with my cpu right? as atm i've got a 2500+, and i was thinking of upgrade to 3200+. that ok?

yeah false prophet I think it should run with that setup np. Just make sure you have a Barton core.

Nephilim said:
yeah false prophet I think it should run with that setup np. Just make sure you have a Barton core.

thanksn neph, anf other ppl who replied, was really helpful. think thats what i will go for then. wat graphics card should i get if i was to get one? out of interest

Geforce 6800 Ultra if u wanna spend big bucks. Otherwise maybe a 6800 GT? a lil cheaper

cheaper again... 9800 XTs go for like 100 quid now, which aint bad

Basically depends on your price range

well one that would be on the same level of performance of an XP 3200 (ie a well balanced system, no bottlenecks) is a Radeon 9800 Pro IMO.
If you wanna be a bit more future-proof and maybe use the card for your next system as well, go for a GeForce 6600 GT. (both these cards are available for max. 200 Euros, the 6600 GT is a tad faster)
With the 6600 GT the system is still in a balance, even tho the GF might be slowed down a little bit by the CPU for example.

If money isnt an issue get a top of the line GF 6800 Ultra or Radeon X800 XT PE ( ~ 500 euros each?) and watch as your system totally slows these cards down :p: However, for the money one of these cards would cost, you'd easily be able to afford a new motherboard + CPU based on Socket 939 (Athlon64) and still get a 6600 GT. ;)

man, i've been told i'm better of getting a 64bit pocessor and change my motherboard as well if im going to upgrade... which is practically a whole new computer. u think thats a better idea? ive probs got max £300 to spend. i kinda want to get the ram, and a new processor. (but if im just getting those 2, i'm not gonna spend over £200). so i doubt a new graphics card atm asi wont have the money either way. so what u guys think i should do?
my current system is;

CPU: amd athlon xp 2000+
Memory : 512 ram
motherboard: A7N8X
g-card: geforce4 ti 4200

if your a gamer, pretty much everything needs upgrading for the newer games. Processor above 3Ghz, GB ram is always handy and a middle/high ranged gfx card would be nice. Like uzi says radeon 9800 pro xt's are fairly cheap atm, good investment :p

i think cheapest amd 64 bit you can get is around £120, but im not sure, for a GB of ram about £130, again im not sure.

if your from UK http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ is quite a nice website, iv bought a few things off here. People probabily disagree but i like:p

Athlon64 3000+ on Socket939 along with at least 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400) RAM and a proper GFX Card (minimum Radeon 9600 XT, medium 6600 GT, recommended 6800 GT or if youre PCI-E a X800 XL) will do all newer games very good I guess.
I bought 512 MB DDR400 RAM, S939 Mainboard (GA K8NS-939) and a Athlon64 3000+ (90nm) for 330 Euros the other day.
330 Euros = 227 quid.

Asus A8V Deluxe Socket-939 VIA/KT800Pro - ATX Sound Gb-Lan IEEE1394 USB2 800FSB - Retail Box £80.74 inc VAT

Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB DDR 8x AGP DVi & TV-Out - Retail Box £130.08 inc VAT

AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3000+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included £95.61 inc VAT

Corsair (VS512MB400C3) 512MB, DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, 184 DIMM, unbuffered, CL3, 32Mx8 DRAMs, Lifetime Warranty £49.92 inc VAT

total = £362.22

thats what ive got atm. tell me what u think?

edit= im hoping to add that memory to my current memory of 512mb.

Last edited:
where are you buying that stuff?
at this ebuyer store you linked first, about RAM, you can get a GeForce 6600 GT from Leadtek or XFX for 130 or 128 quid, and the 6600GT is noticeably faster than a 9800 Pro.

other than that its a good setup. You might want to look for a Memory stick thats got CL2 or CL2,5 (I got 512 MB DDR400 RAM from MDT for that money (49 quid) and they had CL2 or CL2,5 , cant remember for sure)

Good Mainboard and CPU. (you can easily upgrade to a much better CPU with this Socket939 in a years time for example)