What makes AS work?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Cyberslob

Jun 13, 2001
Denmark
Strange beast this AS. Played it since it came out now. The 7 map cycle on Boomtown still works as it always did. Competing with a large number of games. And I play the others, the shooters and also RTS. But a couple of times a week I go AS and its still the very best. Why?

A lot of other games are from an objective standpoint a lot better. UT2003 graphics shines. Bf1942 where you have the option to do all sort of things. Mohaa, when you learned to love its funny animations rocks. Counter Strike .... . But still all these games and others seems to talk to the brain only. Yea, that looks good, blown off the road in a tank. That was funny ...., looks good ....

But whenever I come back to AS its the adrenaline rush somehow that makes the difference. You know you have a minute or so. Failing then another map shows up, and then again you have a minute or so. Is it the time pressure? When I (very rarely) play UT ctf or something. After a few minutes I get pretty boored. Need to bring up the scoreboard to find out how the team is doing and how I am doing. Result is always a yawn.

And with UT. 7 maps UT. I don't even like all the maps. And its always the same good old rush. What is the secret with this game?

Thats one answer. Got my thinking working.

Anybody believes Cliffy B actually made, Guardia or just tok credit for making it? My bet is he never got near it, and if you ask him he dont have a clue what it is.

Good grafic makes you buy a game..

Good Gameplay makes you continue play it.

Gameplay is alot of things. and the vaules change from person to person.. so you should ask yourself :)

But ofcourse since you ask here theres a good change most of us have similar ideas about it.

The weapons - Effective but hard to master ;)

Moves - Dodgeing, hammer jumping ect. it keeps you and your oponent guessing. It almost never becomes a mindless "press a button" game.

Teamplay vs Solo - I have never in another game seen excamples where the two extrems both have so much influence on the result.

Theres proberly many more...

its not AS for itself, as mentioned above other games use s.th. like that, its the feeling (not emotion) during play... its fast, and its very very precisely
even "spam'y" weapons as flak....if you dodge a half sec. before the opponent shoot he missed by a mile.

its hard 2 see the difference, but see quake3 & ut
graphics ok...slight difference.
but whats the problem that AS with quake would sux?
compare the rocket launcher. main prob. quake rockets are 2 fast....nearly impossible to react or evade. that makes gameplay unclearly.

change the firerate in ut and nothing happens ... ok, more shoots but only a few frags more.
increase the projectile speed and it totaly sux!

oh...and the "feeling" during play is the fact how a game react pressing a button.
the feeling 2 press a button is the same all time, sure, but press a button and see the reaction on screen creates the feeling... there is ut outstanding

(thx 2 google translation)

launching gotta be a key reason why so many still like assault, its the only game mode your allowed to launch, do it in ctf or any other game and your looked down upon, do it in assault and your a launch god :D

Guys....you won't get an awnser to that question....

People have been wondering why Goldeneye 64 was such a GODLIKE game...... developers have made hundres of new FPS on game consoles.......though none of them got close to GE's superb game (hmm, maybe Perfect Dark got close.....but GE just had that little something no-one can describe)

If anybody would know what made/makes AS or any other cool game SO f00king good.......he'd better get his lazy ass working on another sweet game

this question has me puzzeled form the day ut2003 came out....
Ive spoken to many ppl of this community about it, and I guess its the sum of all the parts that is bigger then the parts itself..

Things like hammerlaunching and rocketlaunching,
Things like the weapons and how well they work and how balanced they really are,
The maps, the fluent gameplay the dodges...

It all works SO feckin well together it has me comming back for more and more even tho ive played all the maps 1.354.324.465 or more times..
It is as addictive as Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and still gives me rushes like mortal kombat ][ did in arcades...
THis game has the x-factor and got a lots of it..

Im an addict and so are you

Apz

ut may be great but weapon balance is a laugh in ut.
seriously overpowered weapons imo

i didnt like the sniper rifle in ut2k3
but imo the ut sniperrifle loads too quick and is 2 deadly
the slow loading time in ut2k3 sucked but come on be honest the sniperrifle fires almost as fast as the enforcer and does much more damage

still it owns though :)

For me it's how to use all the bits of the map and its terrain and objectives to beat the opposite team - this is why I love writing tacs so much. It's finding bits about the map that you can use to trick the enemy, including launches obviously. And the way each map changes in stages the further into it you get - it's like playing 3 or 4 mini-maps each time, unlike CTF which is the closest thing to AS. In CTF it's take 1 of about 3 routes to the enemy base, hang around till their flag appears, then run as fast as you can back to your base. And if you die you repeat that over again but the map never changes. But in AS new parts get opened up to you as you progress.

It's also the best mod to come up with strategies for, since all the attackers tend to spawn in the same place as each other, and so do the def.

Oh and also, all the really good players are in AS :P

yeh must say the best players and DM'rs are in AS for sum reason... a trip to a DM server in jolt, will show u, that normal DM just doesnt mek gud players..

GE owned as much as this, and this game is very addictive.. sum people may laugh... but this game has a touch of realism in it, the same as goldeneye did, and thats wha gives this game playability and tha lil bit of addictivness.

-envy- said:
yeh must say the best players and DM'rs are in AS for sum reason... a trip to a DM server in jolt, will show u, that normal DM just doesnt mek gud players..

GE owned as much as this, and this game is very addictive.. sum people may laugh... but this game has a touch of realism in it, the same as goldeneye did, and thats wha gives this game playability and tha lil bit of addictivness.

Yep have to agree on that ..u must be able to really lose yourself in a game therefore it has to be much like our own world I guess

I think the aspect of realism comes bak to fantasy... we all dream about doing sumfin mur enjoyable, fun and feeling accepted... which u dont get in work really.
So games with realism give you that second life.. where u can absolutley own, do wat u want, feel accepted, have fun, and then come str8 bak to earth, goto work, get laid, eat, drink.. and the later wen ur feelin that u need that extra bit of fun, cum bak for another hit of UT. =)

thats my opinion on gaming, and what makes it so fun!

of course, i cud b wrong.. but i see gaming that way =D