What Is going on with the new UT2k's

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

-Starlight-

Boom...
Sep 22, 2001
Brum.
why are they puttin starships into Assault 2004? do we really need them... if i wanted a jedi spaceship game, id buy it. :mad:

I think it'll add significantly to the gameplay, new required skills, new kinds of tactics.
all sounds nice to me! and besides, they won't make every map like that :D

-envy- said:
why are they puttin starships into Assault 2004? do we really need them... if i wanted a jedi spaceship game, id buy it. :mad:

Any idea how much it would add to the gameplay?

Why does almost everyone feel that Assaulting something in an Assault mao be done on foot?

Assault is about attackers assaulting forward, trying to achieve their objectives. It was only the orginal UT engine that made it not worth bother trying. If UT2k3 was the 1st game to feature assault, even with only the maps being done on foot I reckon that vehicles would have been added in to custom maps sooner or later.

Oh and unless you get a Lightsaber it is no where even close to being a Jedi game....ever!!!

well: vehicles, new tactics, new teamplay, blabla ... it's called TRIBES2 and this game is out for ages.

sneaky said:
well: vehicles, new tactics, new teamplay, blabla ... it's called TRIBES2 and this game is out for ages.

A game that has been out for ages can hardly have new tactics or new teamplay can it? Perhaps when the game was 1st released it might have, but not now.

Besides, Tribes2's assault mode called Seige was completed pish, if you think map design on some UT maps was crap then you should have played the T2 ones. The graphics are now dated, and with the exception of ski-ing there was virtually no special movement involded.

Of course I could be completely wrong about Assault in UT2k4, but the way I see it at least I have an open mind about it. Half the folk on this board have it dead and buried before they have even tried it, which makes me laugh really.

Apocalypse said:
A game that has been out for ages can hardly have new tactics or new teamplay can it? Perhaps when the game was 1st released it might have, but not now.

Besides, Tribes2's assault mode called Seige was completed pish, if you think map design on some UT maps was crap then you should have played the T2 ones. The graphics are now dated, and with the exception of ski-ing there was virtually no special movement involded.

Of course I could be completely wrong about Assault in UT2k4, but the way I see it at least I have an open mind about it. Half the folk on this board have it dead and buried before they have even tried it, which makes me laugh really.

Thats maybe due to the fact that ut2003 was a bit of a disappointment.....

Well yeah, ut2k3 wasn't the best on-line fps to hit the market...

...but in the last year, Epic/DE has released 2 bonus packs for free, released serveral patches which included among bug fixes the option to play the game 'UT Classic' style. The game has been relativily cheat free for the same year thx to continued support from Epic and the community.

The game might not have been a hit with the fans straight out the starting blocks, but I dare you to name one developer that puts 100% effort into after sales support and development.

For that reason and that reason alone I'll wait until I see what ut2k4 assault is and if it's any good or not.

Apocalypse said:
Well yeah, ut2k3 wasn't the best on-line fps to hit the market...

...but in the last year, Epic/DE has released 2 bonus packs for free, released serveral patches which included among bug fixes the option to play the game 'UT Classic' style. The game has been relativily cheat free for the same year thx to continued support from Epic and the community.

The game might not have been a hit with the fans straight out the starting blocks, but I dare you to name one developer that puts 100% effort into after sales support and development.

For that reason and that reason alone I'll wait until I see what ut2k4 assault is and if it's any good or not.
agreed

they did indeed all there was to do to make the community happy....
damn shame that most aspects I personaly dont like about the game cant be changed. Like the small characters the way they walk (they are floating and dont walk ensinc with the moving speed).
They feel just being 1.40 above the ground (eye-hight)
Weaponspower, the shields and the way they are picked up (cant pick up on full health and shield...)and that you cant see when someone is having 150 shield untill you shoot m 10.000 times and doesnt die...

things like that ..

o yeah I forgot ..the maps fs they are shite to say the least...and the classic ut mod ..they shouldnt even have tried that..undoable

I'm still optimistic about ut2k4. The new assault looks like everything that the more inventive of mappers have tried to do through the limitations of the unreal engine, except it's done properly, rather than some dodgy mover vehicles you cant steer.

How do u know the characters are gonna be the same size in UT2004? You played it? From a couple of screenies and viedos it may look the same but it might play totally different. You cant comment properly until you've played it.

Despite the fact that vehicles will add so much to gameplay you have to remember that people have been playing Assault for 3+ years and are set in their ways despite what they say.

If a ut2004 assault community does become a success i can see mappers being forced to leave the number of vehicles to the minimum for several reasons:

1. The community will probably demand it
2. Imagine how hard its gonna be to make a perfectly balanced assault map incorporating vehicles, mappers are just gonna make an easy DM map :P.
3. I dont know exactly how vehicles are gonna work, if they respawn when they are destroyed or something ...? Vehicles may be suitable for league matches but tbh in publics i can just see people nicking the vehicle and flying around doing what they want, which is gonna piss people off that have to run instead of drive / fly.

Who knows though, there are millions of possible outcomes and prediciting a communitys response to something will be hard. Especially one as tight nit and established as ours is.

One thing is for sure though, its the mappers that will determine how successful this is gonna be :D

Fin!

Joko said:
How do u know the characters are gonna be the same size in UT2004? You played it? From a couple of screenies and viedos it may look the same but it might play totally different. You cant comment properly until you've played it.

I know this because it will be backward compatible with ut2003 :rolleyes:...
You can play on any of the UT2003 servers if you own a copy of UT2004....

well, tou may not have noticed this but bitching about how you dislike everything about 2k3 won't change anything so you might as well just give up

personally, i prefer 2k3. I really needed something new after 3 yrs of UT

I know this because it will be backward compatible with ut2003 :rolleyes:...

Hmm indeed. See if u make maps smaller, characters will seem bigger ...
Nah dont think about that, just roll yer eyes at me instead u little smart arse.

Thanks for explaining what backward compatible means :rofl: i was nearly lost there :lol:

I'm with Joko here. Stop bitching and wait until we atleast get a playable demo.

As for vehicles in assault, it's up to the mapper. If the map is well designed, then vehicles could work well.

IE: attackers have to make a verry long charge towards an enemy base which has gun turrets on it.
After pushing their vehicles about half way towards the base, they come across deep ditches and tank traps, blocking further vehicular progress, but easily negotiated on foot. from there it's a mad charge on foot to the entrance of the base, dodging the chaingun turrets in the defense watchtowers.

Once in the base, you activate the remote mines which the defenders intended to use to clear their roadways once they'd seen you off.. But you use it against them to destroy the tank traps prematurely, allowing you to move your vehicles into the enemy base and take total control of the main yard.

With the base under your control, you can safely place the targetting beacons for the ion cannon strike.... you then use the base's own air transport to jet your teams well out of the area whilst dodging fire from manned enemy gun turrets placed at small outposts which are dotted along your route to saftey as the final objective.

Last edited:
wat if u get lamers, that decide to just tek the ships and fly around for fun?

thats the problem with starships imo =(.. the same as trucks, and mass suicide.. sum1 cud just drive the truck and b lame

=(