What Internet Browser Is Best?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Which Internet Browser is best?

• Total voters
I've used Firefox for months now, and no way would I go back to IE. Nevr had nya spyware or adware with Firefox and it can do things where IE will just give me an error.
The only problems I've had with Firefox are when it crashes (only twice ever) and loses all my bookmarks, or when it gives me a Document contains no data message on random pages. Or when it keeps asking for a site password, even though the pass is correct :P

'only support Internet Explorer' - spell as 'not valid html' ;)

Firefox without a doubt, it supports extensions ie users just dream about, thats so great with it, u can make the browser suit your needs :P

TuT said:
Seriously Bert, how can firefox be the best when it isn´t supported everywhere? IE is, and as long as you got your own security straight in other ways there´s no problem with using it.
i use Firefox since 0.6 and had never probs with it. And even the performance is, after version 0.8, as good as the IE performance.

-CrackKing- said:
MyIE2 cos of the time saving right click gestures, popup/advert blocker, tabs etc etc etc

Have you even tried Firefox? With some of the countless extentions for it.. like mouse gestures (dont know if thats what you mean).. The adblocker extention? the popup blocker is built in already..
Problem with MyIE2/avant browser among others, are that they are still built on IE and inherits the same security flaws, and activeX exploits..

Not to mention tabbed browsering, that when you get used to it, cant live without.. Never no more taskbar filled with browser windows + Firefox handles more windows/tabs better then IE that just spawns another mem globbing process for each window..

It has themes and extentions which are both just two clicks installing..
RSS feed for your bookmarks..
Multiple startpages/multiple bookmark opening in tabs..
Bookmark toolbar for the most used bookmarks..
Built in download manager (all downloads in one window), with pause/resume support..

Did i forget anything?
Yeah, loads....

I somehow always come back to ie, I am trying my best to get used to Firefox since i got inet back tho.

Re:

I use I.E. because

a) I'm a "n00b"
b) I am a lazy "n00b"
c) It does everything a "n00b" needs
d) It works every time, which I as a "n00b" need
e) I'm a "n00b"

doh said:
Have you even tried Firefox? With some of the countless extentions for it.. like mouse gestures (dont know if thats what you mean).. The adblocker extention? the popup blocker is built in already..
Problem with MyIE2/avant browser among others, are that they are still built on IE and inherits the same security flaws, and activeX exploits..

Not to mention tabbed browsering, that when you get used to it, cant live without.. Never no more taskbar filled with browser windows + Firefox handles more windows/tabs better then IE that just spawns another mem globbing process for each window..

Built in download manager (all downloads in one window), with pause/resume support..

Did i forget anything?
Yeah, loads....

I didn't know there were gestures for firefox, too. I already have it installed, so I'll try it aaaaaaaaaaaaaht with teh gestures

Firefox is open source too, based on the Mozilla licence. Shitloads of developers have their eyes on the source code, and the more popular it gets the more eyes there are. It doesn't mean that if Firefox has 40 million people using it, 40 million people will audit the code. But it will mean that maybe for every 1 million users, 1 exceptionaly good developer might join the team and contribute fixes - both security and bugs.

Firefox has had 2 million downloads in 2 days, and counting. Don't use it, but at least you have a choice, which is free. If you don't like it, you've not lost anything apart from time and bandwidth. But it is an exceptional cross platform browser :)

@Tut: I'm sure it can be hacked out, but Microsoft won the browser war, and anti-trust lawsuits because it insisted in a court of law that Internet Explorer was integrated into the OS, just as Media Player has been classified recently. But thats besides the point, the Average Joe isn't going to know how to remove IE without reading up on it first.

Hrm, Firefox is pretty good with all the added features (they're so small, like 50kb, why the hell aren't they included with the download and made optional on installation? :|)

I think I still prefer MyIE2, but I'll stick with Firefox for now

-CrackKing- said:
Hrm, Firefox is pretty good with all the added features (they're so small, like 50kb, why the hell aren't they included with the download and made optional on installation? :|)

To make it lightweight enough for slower computers. A lot of the extensions are contributed by users who have made them for their own use. There is also a choice of different implementations of the same extension, which is always a good thing.

Nephilim said:
In it's purpose as an Internet Browser that interpretes codes, Firefox is simply better. Just because the majority supports something else, does that something have to be better or worse in relation? to refer to your title text, TuT.. Windows is used on the overwhelming majority of machines on the planet and thus the majority of products are designed to be compatible with windows (only), but - and I think you might agree with me - it is far from being the best OS out there just because of that.

I´m sure firefox itself is a great browser. Haven´t used it that much, so i´m not an expert on the subject but i was mostly referring to what Martz mentioned about ecommerce and banking sites for example which only supports IE or in some times even netscape? So after all, IE is the only browser you can use for exactly everything which makes it quite easy and handy for most ppl. Secure? No, because of what have been mentioned earlier in this thread. But as long as your system is secured itself it´s not an issue.

And about windows as an operating system. Yeah i agree totally which you understand from the title text as you mentioned. Definetly not the best, but the far easiest for end users which of course makes it very popular.

Martz said:
the Average Joe isn't going to know how to remove IE without reading up on it first.

:lol: @ "the average Joe" - expression
Yeah well that´s true.

TuT said:
So after all, IE is the only browser you can use for exactly everything which makes it quite easy and handy for most ppl. Secure? No, because of what have been mentioned earlier in this thread. But as long as your system is secured itself it´s not an issue.
Would you be happy if your bank said that you could only use your credit/debit card *if* you had a Diesel/FCUK/Some Brand Designer wallet, since that is the only one they had accomodated for?

What about - if you were only allowed to use a petrol station if you had a Ford or BMW made within the last 2 years, since their pumps were incompatible with everything else?

No, we'd scream that it was unfair, discriminative and absolutely silly. Yet we stick with Internet Explorer because the banks and such have decided it is easier to write their banking application for the majority, and fuck the minority. When this majority balances out, they are going to be in a right mess.

MSIE is a complete piece of shit, it's insecurities are largely down to dependancies upon on the operating system, which is slightly more secure - but still full of holes which are not fixed for months, and patches withheld. MS got themselves into this mess, they burnt all other browsers when the brower wars were hotting up - and this was a time that an OS didn't come with any browser at all. You usally had to install one, or two to get maximum compatibility with the sites out there.

There are standards which exist, HTML compliance. MSIE meets none of these, and deviated from the standards and created their own HTML changes.

When you visit a site which doesn't work with a browser, it is the sites fault for not using open standards and sticking to them, or for errors in their HTML. The things which work with MSIE and not with Firefox are usually down to the page trying to render things the MSIE way.

I personally think it's fucking disgrace, it's lazy and it's pointless. Especially from banks who have shitloads of money to spend on these sorts of things. They are going to find they have locked themselves and their consumers into a product they have no control or say over, which has turned out to be exceptionally insecure and more of a security risk than anything which could be compromised on their online banking site. I also shouldn't have to spend £200 on Windows XP Professional just to secure my computer for a product. I should be able to use any browser, from the original browser which is purely text based, to MSIE, Firefox, or my own custom made one.

But anyway.. I'm :topic:

It sounds like you think i´m happy with IE?

I think you´ve missunderstood me a bit in that case.
I´m not, i only explained why it was the best/easiest to use.

If everything worked well with all browsers i´d be happy to use another1 but that´s not the case atm.

TuT said:
It sounds like you think i´m happy with IE?

I think you´ve missunderstood me a bit in that case.
I´m not, i only explained why it was the best/easiest to use.

If everything worked well with all browsers i´d be happy to use another1 but that´s not the case atm.
Nah, I was preaching to the choir I think.

It's not that Firefox or any other browser is broken in it's functionality. If a site doesn't work, it is either usually because the site isn't using standardised HTML or is trying to do something that your browser doesn't support. Frames come to mind, although most browsers work with them - some don't. Is this the web masters fault, or your fault for not having a frames capable browser? I blame the web master for making his site dependant upon functionality X, which a user may or may not have.

To say "if everything worked well with the other browsers" is to point the blame at the developers making the browser, which is wrong IMO. It is the sites stupid fault that they haven't chosen to use an open standard which will allow everyone to access their site. If they did, it wouldn't be a problem. And in this day and age, to implement support in A Nother Browser for Microsoft specific functionality like ActiveX, Javascript modifications etc - is asking for a law suit to be thrown at you and your project closed.

One of the major cinema web sites in the UK is guilty of this, www.odeoncinemas.co.uk and I have complained to them via e-mail without any resolve. So I haven't been in the cinema in months and months. Silly? Yes.. but as a consumer the only thing I can do which will make a company listen to me is to stop giving them my money.

doh said:

Did i forget anything?
Yeah, loads....

opera has all that and it had all that before there was firefox, that's why i stick with it, plus i never had any problems with sites that weren't displayed correctly or something

SO EVERYBODY GO OUT AND DL OPERA !
:cool:

Reactions: Necroscope