What if?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Rob1000100

Nov 19, 2002
What would happen if they admitted that the lunar landings were actualy fake, would it change anything? Many people consider it to be mans greatest achivement of all time. I'm not here to argue fake or real, just to get an opinion.

Rob1000100 said:
would it change anything?

I think the main reason why the US Government and NASA faked the "official record" is because they could not be seen to be the weak link, especially when you consider that during the 60's, the USA were at the height of the Cold War with Russia. Also their own President had forecast that before the end of the 60's Man would be on the Moon. It would be better to try and fool the public and hoax the footage, rather than let their biggest rival in the World strike a huge moral victory by beating them to the Moon.

In other words: Russian ppl would laugh their ass off! :D

Originally Posted by Rob1000100
why did they fake it?
------
Would have gone with what you wrote sub0.

I mean like would it kick off another space race..

Nawh, the incentive to go into space just isn't there these days it seems, the bounds and leaps we took in spacetechnology have slowed down to a crawling space... which is to some extent sad... then again, the costs are staggering so no wonder people see better places for them elsewhere... I think the political black and white of the era can not easily be replicated...

Also, can I just say that all the supposed evidence on the lunar landings where shite :lol:

The whole Lunar Landings are fake thing was kinda funny, but all the evidence that was used to try and disprove the lunar landings took place can quickly be explained and swept aside.

The is one undeniable fact that all but conclusively proves that the lunar landings took place, and that is that they placed a reflective mirror on the surface of the moon during the landing, used to reflect laser's back to earth, anyone with a powerful enuf laser can fire a beam at this mirror and see it bounce back, undeniable proof that it is there, and therefore was placed there by man.

Yeah the moonlandings were Fake? FFS no. I know why Politicians get away with so much because people are like sheep.
1969 was a long time ago if your about 20 years old today.
Capricorn One
It's a film Ask your Dad your MOm your significant Gaurdian whatever.
Fake Moon landing? sheesh you mugs.

y go into conspiracy theories when real life politics r way worse\better\fecked

:)

Well who is to say the mirror wasnt dropped from an unmanned module? But anyway I think it did happen. But yeah they faked some stuff :).

Back to the original question though... The Russians would be glad it happened. It saved them Trillions of Rubels they could ill affored to spend on space travel, which was pretty much political. Most, if not all the scientific and technological advances had been gained. Lets not forget that the true race was for ICBM's and space travel came as a good politial side effect. Some would obviously laugh, but probably no too much. Because they would wonder why they never thought of it :).

Not necessarily true, what about the potential investment from other interested parties that they lost out on? They possibly lost a lot more than in just a 'moral' sense.

the real first words from neil armstrong where prolly "fuck it i need a piss, is there a church around here?

bet they edited it :p:

and if it where a hoax i bet the chinese would rush to get someone on the moon and i think they'd be first then as well

TexasTom said:
Such as who?

For the yanks the technology spawned a smorgasbord of space technology industries. telecommunications, domestic appliances, R&D depts working with NASA, medical technology advancements, etc. basically neutral business companies wanting to invest/license NASA related technology. Whereas Russia was seen as barely being able to get keep the Mir rustbucket going with plasters and sticky tape.

I'm offering this purely as an alternative viewpoint to the 'Russia would laugh its arse off" idea. I have scant evidence for it aside from some hastily googled NASA-propoganda websites. It seems kind of viable though, evidenced possibly by the continuing 'success' of the shuttle.

And hey...Teflon! Those pans aren't cheap. :D

Last edited:
The cost with space travel is quite gigantic, but I'd say there is no need to travel in space, as the aliens are coming to us anyway, bes ides the sun will probably last a wee bit longer before it goes cold and shit. Damn, serious posts are hard to write.

TexasTom said:
Well who is to say the mirror wasnt dropped from an unmanned module?

Well quite easy to answere... if the amis faked the landing( what i dont think) they would have done it cos they wasnt able to land a person on moon... cos if they had been able they would have done it no matter what costs...
Now an unmanned landing module with a kind of robotic manipulator arm or what ever to correctly place that mirror (just placing it wont have an effect that could be seen from earth) would need a autopilot or remote control for landing and a computer program able to place the mirror... if they cant land a piloted vehicle that would cound about 20 times for a drone of that kind, if u think about technologie back in 1960es

:)

Cheaper to send 20 cheapo drones than one manned one? You tell me :). I think they went there but im not convinced that a mirror is sufficent evidence :). And I reackon you would need a rather large laser and laser received to do Earth Moon Earth! Now where did I put my 1MW laser, can never find it when i need it :)