Wake up Nvidia

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Twonko

Love God
Jun 8, 2001
UK
Vista has been out for ages and still no Nforce 4 drivers for Vista. No Vista drivers at all as far as I can see. No sound. No SLI. Manual network re-setting. Fuck me are they useless or what?

Vista is useless. Vista is only usefull for DirectX10 games (thanks to Microsoft that they wont support Directx10 in XP. Well done moneymakers :thumb: ).

Read several tests about the gaming performance of Vista and it's utter bollox atm, caused by poor drivers.
DirectSound has been removed from DirectX10, so only games with OpenGL sound or the new Creative X-FI supports 5.1 sound atm.
All other soundcards can only play stereo sound (aduigy2, audigy4) in non OpengL sound games.

so atm is not even worth to touch a Vista DVD (or 4 CDs :P)

Those beta drivers are known to be shite. Eventually found a functioning Realtec sound driver but the two rear speakers don't work properly. At least I have sound.

On the plus side, Oblivion seems to work nearly as well as in Win XP considering I currently have no SLI.

Also, every time I restart the computer, I get a failure to boot until I restart again with the DVD and do a repair. I think this may have something to do with the failed upgrade install which I tried at first. Most of those files are on another hard drive in the comp and Vista keeps finding them. Bizarrely, when I get the boot menu up on restarting, I get a choice of 4 operating systems. The whole installation procedure seems to be well fucked.

I saw Bill Gates the other day. He was in Edinburgh launching Vista in europe and he got an honourary degree from the Uni and a tour of the Uni with Jack McConnell. Saw them coming out of one of the informatics buildings. I recognised Jack McConnell but he's a noob so I kept walking, then I looked back again and thought "is that Bill Gates with him?" .... NAH! But I checked the Uni news and apparently it was him :lol:.

Twonk if you got an upgrade dvd and not the so called full one you can do a full install of it by these steps and its legal:

Just follow these steps:

* Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
* When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click “Next” and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
* When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
* Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
* This time, type in your product key when prompted.
* When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.

Annoying that you have to install Vista twice, but it’s not fair that Microsoft restricts the ability to do a clean install.

that might sort some of your boot problems and multi OS probs Old man.

If you have an nvidia motherboard you will have severe performance issuues unless you fiddle with windows update. When running windows update there is a small button (think its button or link) that says show optional updates, there is an update for the pci express drivers which fix most issues, couldnt find the nvidia motherboard drivers on site, but this fixed a lot of my issues. X-fi sound is still a bit choppy tho in some films, and you will find early versions of ffdshow will cause lots of crashing error boxes in directory previews/wm10.

Nah I got the full ultimate edition which gives the option to upgrade or clean install. I still don't know why the upgrade install didn't work but I really wanted to see if it would. I couldn't repair it even with my vast intellectual and technical ability. Removing all old windows installations (XP and the failed Vista) seems to have fixed the crashing on rebooting and I haven't had one problem all evening. In fact I'm pretty pleased with it. Pissed off that Nero doesn't work but hell I've got loads of cash...I'll just go and buy a new version. FS.

Will try Windows update again. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Eyesight is failing Richey boy. I'm sure you understand.

Edit. Windows update says I'm up to date and there is no buttons or links that look like they lead anywhere .

Last edited:
I've got loads of cash...I'll just go and buy a new version. FS.

:lol:

Twonk, keep us updated on how it goes with Vista, im getting a new pc in a few months and im not sure whether to get vista for it or not atm, im mainly interested in gaming performance tbh.

Is it a problem of the mobo or the vid. card? I have totally missed this nvidea failure! Can anyone explain what doesnt work before i actually buy vista ;)

Is it a problem of the mobo or the vid. card? I have totally missed this nvidea failure! Can anyone explain what doesnt work before i actually buy vista ;)

Video card for me. I have Nvidia bloody everything but the mobo seems OK except for AC97 drivers which I eventually got off the Realtec website. Even they aren't brilliant. Network wouldn't come back after sleeping but that fixed itself after a Windows upgrade. Decent Nvidia graphics drivers don't exist. Beta drivers are available but are notoriously unreliable and not recommended for the release Vista. Nvidia are allegedly working on new ones but since they have likely had Vista code for nearly two years now, I'm not optimistic about a release soon. The built in Vista drivers work pretty well and I got Oblivion working well enough but not with SLI because I can't get the SLI to work without proper drivers

I have a dual OS system and intend to stick with XP and expand Vista as it gets better but atm I wouldn't rely on it. Especially not for gaming.

I also tried installing Nero 7 Premium which is advertised as Vista ready, but it wouldn't install. Ho hum.

On the plus side, England beat Australia at cricket the other day, so all is well.

Last edited:
I have a dual OS system and intend to stick with XP and expand Vista as it gets better but atm I wouldn't rely on it. Especially not for gaming.

Vista and Gaming will only be interesting with DX10 + DX10 GFX card. And it will take a few years for DX10 to have a big userbase and make DX10-only games. For now I'm sticking to XP along with DX9.

Video card for me. I have Nvidia bloody everything but the mobo seems OK except for AC97 drivers which I eventually got off the Realtec website. Even they aren't brilliant. Network wouldn't come back after sleeping but that fixed itself after a Windows upgrade. Decent Nvidia graphics drivers don't exist. Beta drivers are available but are notoriously unreliable and not recommended for the release Vista. Nvidia are allegedly working on new ones but since they have likely had Vista code for nearly two years now, I'm not optimistic about a release soon. The built in Vista drivers work pretty well and I got Oblivion working well enough but not with SLI because I can't get the SLI to work without proper drivers

I also tried installing Nero 7 Premium which is advertised as Vista ready, but it wouldn't install. Ho hum.

On the plus side, England beat Australia at cricket the other day, so all is well.
Sounds like noones prepared for Vista. Microsoft releasing it too early? :rolleyes:

Not too early, but the manufactureres cba doing anything....like with the first 64bit-systems.

Have to test Vista at work atm, and tbh uber rubbish performance no point in using it for gaming now.

It's bollocks. The drivers should have been ready months ago. Who else buys high end graphics cards but gamers? Mostly anyway. Who the fuck are they trying to kid. ATI have working drivers. I know where my money will be going next time.