VLANs and stuff.

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Thrasher (_!_)

=]????[=
Feb 21, 2002
Staffs,UK
Hi de ho geeks.

I have the following set up in a training room.....what I want to do is remove the monowall box and get a switch to do all routing etc and have a port on the switch NAT so that all packets leaving the switch (internet bound etc) with the switch's IP as the source. Any HP/3Com gurus in da house?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 64
I have no idea what a 3com 4450 switch is, got a link to specs for it? If what you're trying to do is even remotely possible, you'd need a routing switch, since what you're basically asking it to do is routing business, not normally the job of a switch.
If what you're trying to do is simply to isolate all the machines, but still allow them internet access, that can be done with a standalone router as well, as long as it supports VLAN tagging.

I don't think the 4450 can do it, I could do with ideas for HP / 3Com switches that can do what I described.
There are 5 VLANs and 3 or 4 PCs per VLAN which is why I needed to use a switch. I could replace the monowall with a router but I'd like to get a switch doing all the routing etc if possible.

Thrash, you need a layer 3 switch, which sounds like a contradiction in terms, but it isnt.

3com have a look at 4900 or 5500

HP2626

Cisco 2948

etc.

@Scrote: Does the attached make sense?
(I will have the chance to put it into practice tomorrow)

Attachments

• VLANs.pdf
    102.3 KB · Views: 51
Yes, it kind of makes sense.

The answer to your questions are :- Probably and possibly in that order :)

Give me a ring tomorrow and I'll chat to you about it.

So with everything set as per the PDF above I just need to add static routes?

That's the bit I can't get my head round.
If a PC (192.168.1.5) on VLAN 10 tries to talk to a server (10.130.68.40) should the routing switch handle that?
Will the source IP (as far as the server is concerned) be 192.168.1.5? In which case it isn't going to be able to reply as it doesn't know where to find that subnet?
I need the source IP (as far as the server is concerned) to be the routing switch's primary IP (10.130.68.5).

Its pretty simple but difficult to explain in writing.

You need a combination of static routing and PAT (a form of network address translation).

I'll talk to you later.

:)