Vivisection

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Wints, just because I may happen to give a shit about all living things, does not mean that I am a commune dwelling, dreadlocked, tree hugging idealist,

*taps foot and looks at Wint and BB*

Less of the four letter words please gents. I'm enjoying reading both your posts, but a little less "fuck" "shite" and veiled insults to each other please. This isn't a points scoring exercise...

:D

Originally posted by BBStr@nge
Wints, just because I may happen to give a shit about all living things, does not mean that I am a commune dwelling, dreadlocked, tree hugging idealist,

Absolutely mate!

Just a little stereotyping for comic effect, to grease the wheels of debate, nothing more. and certainly not meant to be insulting!

Given that I have met you in person, and you had in fact washed, I guessed that you weren't of the tree hugging commune brotherhood :)

Not so sure about Dt though.... *snif snif* ;)

erm............ with all due respect O Lady Dark Knickers:D
I havent posted a veiled insult at Wintermute and I dont think he has at myself. Him and DT been at it tho:rofl:

Dont say your confusing me with DT tho Thur pls..................

"sound of BB getting up from chair. Walking over to, and openng, a cupboard door.Sound of cartridges being loaded into breech of shotgun. a muffled OMG anything but that. And a load bang"

Originally posted by Wintermute

Science, Technology, and a population willing to do their own part will save us. Staring at our navels in contemplation bemoaning "Mother Earth"will do precisely dick.
:lol: I was waiting for the `technology will save us' line...sort of implies u think we're gonna need saving ;) Got the feeling that 1 day technologies gonna fail us though. Its like trying to dodge a bullet.

Except for one thing. rainforests. we are chopping them down at a hell of a rate. Except all European nations now have re-forestation programs. huge swathes of the scottish highlands are turning into a forest park!
The term `knat on an elephant' springs to mind. :D

Originally posted by BBStrange
"sound of BB getting up from chair. Walking over to, and openng, a cupboard door.Sound of cartridges being loaded into breech of shotgun. a muffled OMG anything but that. And a load bang"
...and i bet u f****** missed eh...:rofl:

Originally posted by DraizeTrain
:lol: I was waiting for the `technology will save us' line...sort of implies u think we're gonna need saving ;)

The only thing we need saving from is religion.

Personally, I dont think we need "saving".
I think we need some improvements, but basically, I don't see doom and gloom on the horizon.

Originally posted by DraizeTrain
Got the feeling that 1 day technologies gonna fail us though. Its like trying to dodge a bullet.

And how is that going to happen? all the rules of physics going to change overnight?

"technology's gonna fail us". very Matrix. realistically though, political will is what fails us, not technology.

The technology exists RIGHT NOW to give every human being on this planet clean drinking water, reliable food supply, clean available power, health care, etc etc etc.

Only the political will is missing, and as I see it, the technological capabilities of our species will *ALWAYS* far exceed the political will to carry them through.

Point case (again): solar power.

All agree buring fossil fuels is a bad thing (tm)

photovoltaic systems are availabe which work reliably, even in high latitudes. cover the roof in PV tiles, and you can power a house +15% Even in winter, even in Inverness!

Not pipe dream, right here, right now. BP solar developed the material.

Put that stuff on every roof in the country, you would quadruple the available eletrical power in the UK. and not a single ounce of CO2 production once installed.

oh, yeah, and with that amount of power available, electric cars become a *REAL* possibility.

totally possible, so why hasn't it happened? politics and finance.

technology is our saviour. if politics would let it.

And how is that going to happen? all the rules of physics going to change overnight?
Wtf u talking about? Of course the rules of physics aint gonna change...

"technology's gonna fail us". very Matrix. realistically though, political will is what fails us, not technology.
Dont u think its a bit arrogant to just `assume' that we'll always catch the ball? Isnt aids/hiv enough of a warning for u?

Well i think technology & politics are equally likely to fail us. I say that because imo they are both so intertwined. Technology isnt used for the `good of mankind' anymore...its used for making money & nations `power' and we all know what troubles they can get us into.

Point case (again): solar power.

All agree buring fossil fuels is a bad thing (tm)

photovoltaic systems are availabe which work reliably, even in high latitudes. cover the roof in PV tiles, and you can power a house +15% Even in winter, even in Inverness!

Not pipe dream, right here, right now. BP solar developed the material.

Put that stuff on every roof in the country, you would quadruple the available eletrical power in the UK. and not a single ounce of CO2 production once installed.

oh, yeah, and with that amount of power available, electric cars become a *REAL* possibility.
Yes we all know the potential wonders for solar power but not every1s gonna get it at the same time. Its the technology imbalances that cause friction.

Lets move forward, say 30 years...we've all got our shiny solar panels on our roofs and cars and our supermarkets are full of huge vegetables. The majority of the worlds nations wont have anything like that and will still be using the `old' dirtier techniques...and they're not gonna take to kindly to us telling them how to run their ship.

totally possible, so why hasn't it happened? politics and finance.

technology is our saviour. if politics would let it.
Well there u go....a massive `if'...and 1 that i think is unrealistic.
I think ur main input has been about what `should' happen where as mine has been about, imo, what `will' happen.

Last edited:
DT in 30 years time we will probaly be using a nuclear fission for power, unlike fusion fission is very safe and has no real down side, ie no radiation no fallouts and no meltdowns. Fusion is a tempary power source the world is getting ready to move on and given time this will happen. Also in the pipe line is something called z effect enrgey dont know much about this but from what i can gather your likely to have you own z effect genny in your own house and the fuel for this is plain good old h20. As for aids etc etc Vivisection is the way and with good hard work and us being senseable these could so easy become things of the past, just think if no one had unprotected sex and never shared needles etc things like aids could be gone in a few generations. Its just the stupid that ruin it for all, after all wasnt it because stuipd ppl where shaggin apes that aids started in the first place (correct me if iam wrong someone)

Aids started by people shagging apes? Sake Aj:/

I am self flagellating at this point, cos I agree with DT again.;)
Mind you and I agree with Wintermute.
All of this technology is within our grasp.
But whilst politicians care about money and greed and are controlled by those vices, we will see little of this new technology in our lifetimes, imo.

One of the theories for where AIDS came from BB, although AIUI, the official theory centres more on bites and non-sexual contacts.

There are a few immune deficiency illnesses amongst Bonobo monkeys in particular, that could possibly jump species, much as scrapie jumped from sheep to cows to give us BSE, and again to humans to give nvCJD.

Basically, DT, your entire tone is Doom, doom, doom, and no way out.

I refuse to accept that the entire species should just lay down and take it, because you can't see a way out.

People will find a solution. it's what got our species dominant in the first place. that and opposable thumbs :thumb:

It is Wintermute?:rolleyes:
And I thought it was just a bit of racist propoganda..............................

Not about doom Wints imo.
Just about the fact that we are constantly turning over our planet for a quick buck.
You reap what you sow.
Stable doors and horses m8.

Not sure if it's still a current theory.

Having done a bit of digging, it looks like the "shagging monkeys" seems to be the inability of white-van-man to follow a scientific theory.

The theory is that the SIV virus in particular (which has behaviour very similar to HIV in some monkey species) could have been transferred to humans through either consumption or from a bite...

but your typical racist homophobe can't see the science when there's a nice fat bit of hatred to spread instead :(

heres a link, and quote.

When Did AIDS Begin?

"The fact that several monkey and chimpanzee species found in Africa are infected with retroviruses that are closely related to HIV has led to the speculation that HIV arose from a simian (monkey or chimpanzee) derived retrovirus. Several hypotheses have been put forward as possible mechanisms by which the simian-derived strain of the retrovirus, SIV (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus), may have been introduced into humans. SIV seems to cause no illness in chimpanzees, even though humans and chimpanzees are 98% genetically similar (Altman). Mutation of the simian-derived SIV strain may then have yielded a strain not only capable of replication in human cells but also far more pathogenic in humans.

There are several ways by which humans may have become infected by a simian retrovirus. One hypothesis believes its emergence came from human use of monkeys. HIV-2 is very closely related to a strain of SIV found in sooty mangabees and the location of sooty mangabees in West Africa coincides with the incidence of HIV-2. There is evidence that sooty mangabees are occasionally killed and eaten in this region."

Last edited:
nice post wint my post wasnt made out racist hatred though, its a comman fact (and can been seen on certain rude web sites) that ppl do indudge in some dam nasty things. ok was i was jesting a little trying to inject some humor into this topic maybe it was in bad taste and for that iam sorry. Nice to see a good informed replys :D and i wont post crap jokes like again.........honest

ahhh, misunderstanding, I wasn't suggesting even remotely that you meant it as a racist slur or any such thing!

just saying thats where the original confusion appeared, and then people who had no idea that it wasn't actually real pass it on.....

Originally posted by Ajax
DT in 30 years time we will probaly be using a nuclear fission for power, unlike fusion fission is very safe and has no real down side, ie no radiation no fallouts and no meltdowns.

Sorry to be a little pedantic here Ajax, but fission is what we have just now. Its is the process whereby energy is obtained from splitting (usually) uranium isotopes.

Fusion is the holy grail of nuclear energy. Its the process whereby energy is obtained from the fusing/joining of elements, generally deuterium or tritium, or other hydrogen isotopes. Both of which are obtainable from water. Its the way the sun gets its energy.

Fusion is a clean power source compared to fission. No fallout, no radioactive byproducts etc. The problem at the moment is the extreme temperatures needed for a fusion reaction. The way they are currently doing it is to confine the plasma within magnetic fields inside torroid (donut) shaped reactors. I believe there is some joint EU effort called "Tocamac" here - the test reactor has managed about a megawatt of peak output so far.

Usual problem - not enough investment in Fusion research because of the powerful Hydrocarbons lobby.

re: Technology saving us - you got a point there Winty, but the problem is that Governments are *shit scared* of technology which liberates the people. The USSR started falling apart once computers and telecomms became widely available. Our government doesn't like them either - or else why all the listening posts, spying stations, Acts to spy on UK (never mind foreign) citizens...

ok so i got them the wrong way round lol, saw something on tv the other day though some clever chappys at (i think) oxford manged 4 megawatts :D thing is old fission power stations are getting older old machines = less reliable = < chance of melt down. We need fusion or something else soon.

nuclear fusion has been accomplished in controlled circumstances, but like thur said, the temperatures and thus the energy necessary to create is so great that it is more than the process itself puts out, thus making it useless in its current state :\

Fusion has been commercially used for decades :) In Thermonuclear weapons.
For electrical use though;
10 grams of Deuterium which can be extracted from 500 litres of water and 15g of Tritium produced from 30g of Lithium would produce enough fuel for the lifetime electricity needs of an average person in an industrialised country.
Gotta be a step in the right direction!

It was a Deuterium (heavy Water) Plant that was sabotaged during the second world war by Norwegian soldiers trained in the UK. This and many other acts of sabotage and resistance by the Norwegian Milorg (Resistance) meant the Germans had virtually no chance of manufacturing an Atomic Weapon.