UTV suggestion thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Polle

Oct 8, 2001
Timo came up with the idea that UTs portal code could be used to support multiple screens in utv. Currently
it only works for a spec on the actual server, but I believe that most of the technicalites involved can be solved.

Shot0103.JPG

Shot0109.JPG

FPS cost for multiple screens is fairly high and mostly dependent on cpu power. I did manage to run it dualscreen on an ati card although it was only possible in OpenGL windowed at less than 2500 horizontal res.

Plans for final:

- Camerasetup configurable for each map.

- Cameras can be made to trace players or to watch a static location. Events like objectives completed can
be made to alter cameras.

- Spec no longer needs to be active. Transmission doesnt depend directly on him (although it would be possible to have a cam follow him)

- Emoticons for utvchat.

Ill be rather busy for the next 2-3 months so cant promise a release in the near future.
If you have any other suggestions pls post here.

edit: fixed pics

Last edited:
Bit offtopic but UTV as it is now works a lot better in 136 with all the improvements for spectators, bug fixes and assault/objs info correctly replicated.

Cmon!! let's have some UTV matches :D

Yeah UTV seemed great then no bugger wanted it used after a while. I'll see if I can convince {24} to give away all our cool launches (all both of them).

Btw in that multi view thing - is it like 9 screens each with your normal resolution, or is it like resolution divided by 9? Er if you dunno what I'm trying to ask lemme know :P

Useless said:
Yeah UTV seemed great then no bugger wanted it used after a while. I'll see if I can convince {24} to give away all our cool launches (all both of them).

Btw in that multi view thing - is it like 9 screens each with your normal resolution, or is it like resolution divided by 9? Er if you dunno what I'm trying to ask lemme know :P

Its 8 small screens on one monitor. FPS cost would probably be too high with that many screens on most comps though.

Yes; my original concept design was to have 2 / 4 "windows" per screen. You would have a key to switch between windowed mode and f/s free-roam mode, and left/right clicking through would rotate through the groups/sections; i.e.

-[Team 1]​

Player 1 | Player 2;​
Player 2 | Player 3;​
Player 3 | Player 4;​
Player 4 | Player 5;​
Player 5 | Player 6;​
Player 6 | Player 1​

-[Team 2]

Player 1 | Player 2;​
Player 2 | Player 3;​
Player 3 | Player 4;​
Player 4 | Player 5;​
Player 5 | Player 6;​
Player 6 | Player 1​

In the free-space you could have map/obj infos, and a large Elapsed / Time-Left clock.​

Last edited:
well what annoyes me most is that you can't know what objective is taken next, so you will miss it for sure. Absolutely great would be a view that always always shows the next objective that is taken and a countdown for it :P Or maybe just automaticall switching to the player that will take the next objective ;)

Since utv buffers data up to 30 sec you can theoretically know 30sec before an obj is taken that this obj will be taken in 30 sec. Thats the idea behind it ;) But of course very difficult to implement and would need adaption in the utv transmitter C++ Code :\

Well mabe just a dream..... :D

Last edited:
nice ideas.
what cratos said sounds very interesting in combination with polle's splitting, that way you could have the middle row for a panorama shot over the objective that is likliest to fall next or which in fact will (what cratos explained). then in the 6 remainaing cells utv could for example automaticaly follow the player with the highest fragcount/longest spree on each team, the player of each team which is closest to the objective displayed in the middle row and for example the play which is the fartest away from the main routes, this way you can witness some really sneaky moves which shud be rather entertaining.